Long Oil

Nah Just jokes!

Oil patterns differ greatly. The length is how far down the lane the oil goes. I don't know specifics but I think it ranges somwhere around 30ft - 40ft from the foul line.
Heavyness ?? is that a word ?? regards the units of oil applied to the lane. heavy oil allows much less friction on the lane and hence less/no hook. Dry lanes are obviously the opposite! Less units of oil are applied!

I leave it to someone with a bit of a technical knowledge to correct/inform us of lengths and units allowed!

Hey Stroker,
Fitzy is on the money. Heavy oil is also referred to as having lots of volume. Think of it like putting vegemite on toast. You can put it on thick or thin, go right to the edges, or just slap a bit in the middle.

Generally, more volume means less moves need to be made once the pattern stabilises. Less volume and longer means that even though the ball doesn't hook much, you'll need to make small moves regularly.

Cheers,
Jason

You might want to get yourself the SD-73 Classic from Roto-Grip. I know it's the ball I'll be wanting in my hands when I encounter Long Oil.

Later Da Cowman!

can anyone let me know whats the best ball out at the moment thats very good on long oil

The true answer to that really does depend.

I like to use an asymmetrical ball with the surface to match up to the quantity of oil out there. I like to keep the pin LOW compared to my midline (for an easy reference, below fingers somewhere) and a mid ranged pin to pap placement (4.5 to 4.75) and place the balls PSA or MB closer to the VAL, to give it a quick recovery once it finds friction to carry corners.

The other important thing to do on a longer pattern, is have your ball break furthur inside (the deeper depending on the pattern). There is a couple of reasons for this.

Firstly, the ball has to be able to MAKE it back to the pocket. We see a reduction on overall hook on long, so if the ball only hooks 5 or 10 boards off the break, we need to have it break 5 or 10 boards away from pocket!

Secondly, with the later roll into its PSA, the ball should (if matched up correctly with surface) retain its energy better, making the breakpoint inside still ABLE to produce angle required to blow the rack.

Peter, noticing you are in Melbourne, I invite you, and anyone else that wants to experience a true long and heavy pattern called the PBA SHARK or other Testing patterns at Oztenpin EPPING on friday nights at 7.15pm. So far, we have covered Cheetah, Chameleon (aint this one fun :p) and Shark, and because we don't know what is being laid out before hand, it REALLY gives you a good indication where your game is lacking.

The first week we bowled on it, I got a few breaks and shot a 701, and the second block of 3 brought me well back to earth with a 580 series because I wasn't quick enough to adjust.

All the best, and if you need any more information, don't hesitate to shoot me a pm :D For now, its saturday, and the Golf Course is calling me, so enjoy!

Cheers!

can anyone let me know whats the best ball out at the moment thats very good on long oil
Storm's Special Agent is terrific on long oil. Predictable and hits really well.

I'd take up Tonx's offer of playing on PBA patterns too! Sounds like great fun. (Well, bloody hard work actually, but great fun!)

Remember the key to long oil is not necessarily more hook, but more roll. You have less dry length to get the ball to hook in, so your usual hook may not be possible, but good roll is and this is the key on the long.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Tell me where there is long oil... I'm dying to know. We don't see much of it in the ACT unless we set it up ourselves! ;)

Jason,
Next time there is a sports series on up here at Caboolture you should hit Terry Wenban up for a bed and come & bowl. Depending on the condition, could be long, could be short, but always challenging and at least once a year we play on the 50ft TOC (correct me if I'm wrong) pattern.

Jason,
Next time there is a sports series on up here at Caboolture you should hit Terry Wenban up for a bed and come & bowl. Depending on the condition, could be long, could be short, but always challenging and at least once a year we play on the 50ft TOC (correct me if I'm wrong) pattern.
TOC is 51ft with lower volume than you'd expect, so you're constantly making micro moves. Almost worth the airfare...

Back
Top Bottom