League - Game Wiped

piequat

two handed lefty
Tonight at league, we were 6 frames into our 3rd game when the scoring system decided it would put our 1st game scores up to the 6th frame up instead. This only happened on our odd pair, our even pair still had the correct 3rd game scores up.

The front counter staff said that the scores got wiped from the system, and out of my team of 4, only 1 could remember what their score was. They said that we'd have to bowl up to that frame again. The league president advised we can't do that unless the other team also bowled up to that frame, so the other option was to put in blind scores for both teams and split the game points, which we ended up doing.

Now I understand stuff like this happens now and again, and while I think this centre gets more than it's fair share of dodgy happenings, my gripe lies with the following. After handing in the scoresheet I asked politely if we could get any compensation, maybe a couple of free games or perhaps bowl next week for less or free. I was told flat out no.

You'd think after all that inconvenience they'd try to soften the blow... I'm thinking of taking this up with the centre manager, would anyone else think the same or do you think I'm crying over spilt milk?

what they did was wrong on many counts...
The president doesn't know the rules and the bowling centre should have given you a game or two to soften the blow of your team not getting to bowl a complete series.

In saying that, if i was the centre manager i would not like my staff handing out free games. If i was you i would take it up with the centre manager. Im sure he or she will oblige or atleast i would. I have managed major retail stores and i personally want to handle any complaints (provided im working that day) to ensure they are handled correctly. Id never want or expect my managers or staff to be giving anything away without my knowing. Which is why i take the responsibility (and pressure) off them and onto myself.

You are definately owed some small compensation i believe, but only at the managers discretion not the counter staff that were on at the time.

The frames lost should have been re-bowled, the grey area is that your opponents scores were still there.
So did they need to be re-bowl them? They were not lost so - no.

Rob

Tough titties I think.

There is no provision for "I remember what I bowled"

Rob

Can't agree with this statement, if someone was able to back up the fact you had the front 6 (or 8 or 11).

What if someone had the front 11 and the same thing happened. Still tough titties? Not if it was me, that's for sure. If I threw 11 in a row and was going for a perfecto, I'd fight tooth and nail until I got to throw the 12th that I was entitled to. It's not the bowler's fault that the centre's equipment or software failed.

what they did was wrong on many counts...
The president doesn't know the rules and the bowling centre should have given you a game or two to soften the blow of your team not getting to bowl a complete series.

Hi Wayne

This exact same thing happened to my daughter during the triples event at Eastcoast 2000 at Keon Park. Can you tell me what the rule is. I'm interested to see if they got it right back then

Thanks
Phil

TBA Rulebook states

RULE 314 COMPUTER SCORING - POWER FAILURE
In computer scoring, if a power failure or power surge occurs and scores cannot be recovered and no record
has been kept of the scores bowled, these games must be re-bowled at the earliest convenience

Can't agree with this statement, if someone was able to back up the fact you had the front 6 (or 8 or 11).

What if someone had the front 11 and the same thing happened. Still tough titties? Not if it was me, that's for sure. If I threw 11 in a row and was going for a perfecto, I'd fight tooth and nail until I got to throw the 12th that I was entitled to. It's not the bowler's fault that the centre's equipment or software failed.

Just going by what the rule book states.:surrender:

Rob

Just going by what the rule book states.:surrender:

Rob

Hi Rob,

Not having a go at you at all. However if that's the rule as Wayne mentions in his post above, it seems grossly unfair. Maybe there should be a rule that all centres with computer scoring must have a backup through a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) for scoring purposes. The majority of other businesses where computer information is replied upon have them (service stations, transport terminals, banks, you name it). In the overall scheme of costs in a bowling centre I doubt it would cost a ridiculous sum.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the TBA chose to implement the scoring loss rule as written..They should've gone with the USBC rule which is quoted below:

USBC RULE 116b. Scores Lost

When game(s) or frame(s) within a game are irretrievably lost in the scoring process, the following procedures shall apply:

1. Scores that can be documented or agreed upon by the opposing team captains stand and the game shall resume from the point of interruption in regular order.

2. Scores that can not be documented or agreed upon by the opposing team captains shall be rebowled, unless the board of directors rules them null and void.

Hi Rob,

Not having a go at you at all. However if that's the rule as Wayne mentions in his post above, it seems grossly unfair. Maybe there should be a rule that all centres with computer scoring must have a backup through a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) for scoring purposes. The majority of other businesses where computer information is replied upon have them (service stations, transport terminals, banks, you name it). In the overall scheme of costs in a bowling centre I doubt it would cost a ridiculous sum.

I don't think a UPS would have helped as there is no mention of the centre didn't having a power failure it would seem it was more a software error, maybe a solution is continuos backup from a mirrored drive would be more effective.

I don't think a UPS would have helped as there is no mention of the centre didn't having a power failure it would seem it was more a software error, maybe a solution is continuos backup from a mirrored drive would be more effective.

Good point. It seems odd that it crashed the scores on one lane only (from what I can remember of the original post now) and that it was not recoverable. I guess what I am thinking along the lines of is a secondary programme as well that would back up scores every so often (maybe every 5 or 10 mins).

Wayne you're right - the USBC rule makes much more sense than the TBA one.

I seem to remember something happening at Caboolture once a few years ago in 5 man teams on my pair.. from memory we were about 4 or 5 frames through and both teams agreed to enter the scores as remembered by all.. Or maybe my memory is failing and I am completely wrong, could be it's a while ago now.

forgetting what score you have up to the 6th frame is not a hard task to remember lol depending on age that is but if that happened to me i could tell you straight up what i had in scoring.

Back
Top Bottom