Is Tassie as good as it sounds?

S

Spider

Hey everyone,

Spider here from Brisbane

I'm thinking of moving to Tasmania soonish, maybe end of the year, and i was wondering, what the bowling scene is like in Tasmania, eg. State Teams Tournaments, League prize monies etc.

And maybe give me a pointer on good areas to move to

Thanks Folks

Spider

Hello Spider.
Four centres in Tasmania, Burnie & Devonport centres on the North-West Coast which are 12 and 14 Lane centres. I'm not fully aware of how they go for numbers up there bowling-wise, so I can't comment - somebody else on here maybe able to tell you the pro's and cons of bowling up there.
Burnie from what I've seen is a nice centre now, although Devonport.....well I'll leave that up to someone else to say what they think.

Launceston has a 20 lane centre, a nice little centre, apparently has a fair few bowlers up there now, they have some good leagues up there I think.
Things have improved from recent times as far bowlers numbers go.
Not sure of the prize-funds etc - they could tell you more.

Moonah in Hobart's Northern Suburbs is a 24-lane centre and the State's biggest and oldest centre. Has been widely criticised for its appearance in the last 5-10 years, but bigger things are on the cards for the place over the next year or so apparently.
It is by far the most used bowling centre in the State, has some big leagues and is a quite high scoring centre.
It would attract more open play bowlers than the other three centres combined (although it can tend to be a bit cyclical), this is one reason why the centre has copped so much damage over the years.
Moonah does very well out of its bar trade, party bookings etc, they know how to drink in the South...lol
Centre League on Thursday nights, and Sponsors League on Wednesday nights have very good player numbers (by 2004 standards) and have very good payouts.

That's just a general rundown of what's here, maybe someone else might elaborate more at some stage.

EDIT: Launceston updated. :?

Lonny isn't doing too badly Matt...
And I know where I would prefer to be a league bowler, any day :D

Tiger said:
Launceston has a 20 lane centre, a nice little centre, doesn't have a great deal of bowling going on unfortunately (from what the Northerners tell me, and from what the AMF Lineage sheets also say)

Umm, should you really be saying something like that Matt? I mean, I thought discussing internal memos from AMF was a no-no.

But then again, what do I know.

K-C said:
Lonny isn't doing too badly Matt...
And I know where I would prefer to be a league bowler, any day :D
Glad to hear things have picked up :)
I hope that place starts booming again, I like bowling up there.
And where would you prefer to bowl league, here so I can stir you up even more :D Can't say I mind bowling league in either place, I enjoyed my brief appearances up there a couple of years ago.

BTW: I take it you've got your pute all set up now at home :)

Happy said:
Umm, should you really be saying something like that Matt? I mean, I thought discussing internal memo's from AMF was a no-no.
But then again, what do I know.

It was widely discussed here by all and sundry for a long time, you didn't need to see a sheet to know about it.
I couldn't give two sh!ts about the politics or whatever, i'd just rather see the places filled with bowlers and going well.
So when are you going to PM me and tell me who you are?

G'day Bruv good to see you about mate. :D
Nothing naughty about it, probably should have worded it better.

Might catch you up there if I get to State Champs 8)

Poor Mattio,

I agree Burnie is looking good, Terry's done well with the decore, great cafe prices and game charges.
Oden machines(old jap design).

Devonport has been taken over by Rick Walker and by all accounts he's
already started to clean the place up. things are Looking up!
Oden machines.

Lonny has always been a good place to bowl, friendly staff.
Brunswick machines hardly ever breakdown.

Hobart we hope is going to be rejuvenated it has big Leagues and relatively high scores.
Amf 82/30(getting long in the tooth/ becoming unreliable).

will moonah be getting a visual make over anytime soon? because its not the most appealing of places?

And yes tassie is better then the people say ;)

Back
Top Bottom