Is Belmo the bowler of this generation?

SeanGothe

Almost everyone would argue that Jason Belmonte has been the most successful PBA player over the last 15 years since winning his first title in 2008. Belmo has now won 30 titles placing him equal 7th place on the PBA all-time titles list. He requires another 4 titles to equal the late great Mark Roth who sits in 6th place on 34 titles. Walter Ray Williams (all-time titles leader) with 47 titles is a very very long way away.

The interesting question is whether Belmonte will go down as the player of this generation when measured by career titles won. He has 30 titles which is an incredible achievement over the past 15 years (since 2008). He does appear to be the dominant player of his generation but is he?

When you look at this question in more depth it is a far more even contest. I am a proud Australian but I despise parochialism so we need to look at the numbers.
Belmonte (39 years of age) won his first title in 2008 and now has 30 titles.
EJ Tackett (30 years of age) won his first title in 2015 and now has 19 titles.

Now it is getting more interesting - firstly Tackett is almost exactly 9 years younger than Belmonte.
Tackett didn't win his first title until 2015 but has now won 19 titles.
Belmonte since 2015 has won 20 titles.
Therefore Belmonte had 10 titles before Tackett commenced winning in 2015. Since 2015 to the current day - 20 titles to 19 is certainly not dominating
At only 30 years of age I would assume Tackett has considerably more longevity left in him than Belmonte.

The big question is who will have won more titles when both their careers are over. Right now I don't believe anyone really knows. Belmonte has been a tremendous player who will rightfully be remembered as an all-time great but EJ Tackett could yet eclipse him as the ''winning-est'' bowler of this generation. I also believe that 30 year old EJ Tackett is still getting better. At 39 years of age it is more a question of how much longer can Belmonte still win titles to potentially move up higher on the all-time titles leader board and stay in front of an incredibly talented 30 year old from Indiana.

So Tackett wins again and again giving him 21 titles. Belmonte has also increased his tally to 31 titles.
Both have now won 21 titles since 2015.
In the PBA World Championship Tackett was again dominant out averaging Belmonte by 6.62 pins per game. Belmonte ultimately finished 2nd but was only 6th on scratch pinfall after the 72 games leading up to finals of the PBA World Championship.
Belmonte actually won the Tournament of Champions earlier this season when he was again 6th on scratch pinfall. No-one will ever forget the infamous 'Format of Farce'.
Belmonte still leads by 10 titles but Tackett is simply getting better and better (5 titles in 2023).
The jury is definitely out on who will have the bigger number next to his name when both their careers are over.
This is now the modern day version of Earl Anthony v Mark Roth. The only other real challenger to their supreme dominance at the present time is young Anthony Simonsen who will also likely finish with a very significant number of career titles.

For a numbers person like myself I love using using statistics to build an argument but the stats below are so compelling and blatantly obvious no-one can question them.

Since 2014, no player has been the No. 1 seed at majors more often than Tackett. He’s earned the coveted spot atop the stepladder nine times — one more than Belmonte over that span.

THIS IS THE BIG ONE - TACKETT has been the top seed in 60% of his major championship final appearances, compared to Belmonte’s career mark of 35.3% (12 of 34) and Anthony Simonsen’s 23.5% (four of 17).

Belmonte has a tremendous TV / Finals record - this involves bowling usually from 1 to 4 games depending on where you actually qualify for the finals) whereas Tackett finishes so many tournaments as the top seed over 30, 40 or even more games on occasions. It was 72 games in his last win at the PBA World Championship.

Using a golf analogy - you play 72 holes and the player with the fewest shots wins. Very hard to question the fairness of that format.
Bowling - you play 30, 40 or even more games and then a couple of games on TV allows someone who was nowhere near the best player over the whole week to take away the title after bowling perhaps 1-4 games in the TV finals.

Tackett has been the best bowler in 60% of the tournaments where he has made the finals of a major tournament.
Belmonte has been the best bowler in 35% of the tournaments where he has made the finals of a major tournament.

Both are tremendous achievements but Tackett is the BEST bowler far more often when he makes the finals of Major Championships.
Belmonte is great at winning tournaments when he hasn't been the best bowler over the whole week prior to the finals.

Back
Top Bottom