INTERNATIONAL ACTIVITY of Alex Popov

Jase

Admin
Staff member
As posted on the TBA Web site as of Yesterday...
The ultimate goal of my international activities are to promote the services TBA can offer international Federations in an effort to create revenue and to place TBA in a position to secure international events, thus generating publicity and increasing awareness of our sport within Australia.
The greater insurgence I can make into our world governing body’s only benefits our sport.
I have been offered numerous roles with the governing bodies but understand that time and money cannot solely be focused in these areas.
Ultimately, my time overseas has equated to no more than 8% of my total work time.
From my work as Vice President of the Asian Bowling Federation and a member of the WTBA Presidium, I have able to secure including, but not limited to, the following for TBA:
• Securing of the 2009 World Women’s Championships – first time a world event has been held in Australia
• Taking over the Asian coaching rights using our HP coaches thus creating a new revenue stream.
• Sending HP coaches to New Zealand to complete clinics in their country, thus strengthening the “Australasian” part of the ABPA association
• Gaining invitation for our teams to compete in once closed Asian events
• Access to international training venues
As you can see the benefits of my international involvement has been focused on all aspects of our industry and should not be considered “junkets”.
In In the future I will prepare reports on the successes of my journeys thus alleviating the perception that these are holidays.
ALEX POPOV r> Chief Executive Officer - Tenpin Bowling Australia
Vice President - Asian Bowling Federation

• Securing of the 2009 World Women’s Championships – first time a world event has been held in Australia

I thought Peter Cobourn made the trip to get this done?

I thought Peter Cobourn made the trip to get this done?

Not fully correct...

Peter Coburn made the trip to Cyprus to secure the Commonwealth Championships...

Alex secured the WWC in a trip to Caracas last year...Mind you i was wondering how TBA could afford to run this event...

In the previous WTBA congresses it has been mentioned that these events run at a loss… from all reports TBA ran the Commonwealth Championships with a $50K lose… and this was tabled and minuted at the CTBC Congress when no one put up their hands for the next event and that was only for 16 countries…

There's also WTBA, WNBA and FIQ Congress as part of the 2009 WWC, so this has to be organised as well… To be honest it will take an army of dedicated volunteers and in my honest opinion we really don’t have enough volunteers in all of Australia to host an event like this, let alone in Victoria…

I think its great that we have these events in Australia don’t get me wrong but if these things that are mentioned are true, then how can we make a business decision that could put our sports top Body in financial strain…

Alex/June
How would this event be funded???????

Have TBA approached the Victorian government at all before securing this event… If the Vic government knows that TBA has already won the event, the government has nothing to gain by offering money now… WWC coming to Vic is already a done deal if you know what I mean…

I imagine Alex's movements are instructed by the Board and/or the close connections of the Board and it is interesting to see that it is considered necessary to put out a statement regarding the overseas activities of the CEO.

I read that statement as an attempt to justify any overseas business, presumably following severe criticism here in Australia.

8% of the actual time may be spent overseas but how much time is spent here in Australia developing that overseas business?

Regardless of who instigates the movements of the CEO perhaps the Board would care to consider the disasterous collapse in membership numbers.

I dont know the exact figures as at July but at last count there were approximately 1500 members in NSW and the same in Victoria.

I would have thought that the Board could have concerned themselves a little more with matters back home, rather than trying to secure business for a rapidly declining membership base.

How many actual registered TBA members are there in this country? Why is it so hard to find this information out? How many does QLD have?

Oz Tenpin and the Women's Worlds

Whilst it is easy to look back at what has been or what should have been done in relation to any paticular event, however it would certainly be of benifit to be informed when it comes to what has and has not happened in the preparation and placement of any bid document for an event like The Women's World Championships!

The amount of exposure generated in the general community through newspapers, radio and with any luck television of our great sport can only serve as bonus to all of us!!

Let me asure you that Oz Tenpin and I venture to say most centre operators would not attempt to run an event of this size without sufficent funding being available...

Before Oz Tenpin submitted its bid documents to TBA we had in place funding commitments from Victourism, Melbourne City Council, Brunswick International
and Cadbury Schwepps.These are serious amounts of $$$$ when it comes to the funding of Tenpin Bowling in Australia!

Also we have in hand letters of support from the Premier of Victoria and Hobsons Bay City Council:

Sudsequent to the above "General Travel" has been appointed the company that will arrange and coordinate all travel, accommodation, transport, tours plus any other land based requirements of the visiting bowlers, coaches, managers and supporters! (recently handled The World Swimming Championships)!

Tenpin Bowling in Australia needs these events to generate the exposure
required to have our sport reconized as a legitmate sport in this country!
And with this in mind Oz Tenpin are pround to be in a position to support TBA in this exciting venture!

Given that we (Oz Tenpin) have successfully conducted the Commonwealth Championships and the recent Australian Junior Nationals I am confident that we will conduct a successful World Women's World Championship event!

I dont know the exact figures as at July but at last count there were approximately 1500 members in NSW and the same in Victoria.
:eek: Geez things have really fallen away badly.
I can remember only 15 years ago Hobart City alone had just under 1,600 registered members, up the North West Coast in the late 80's they had over 2,000.
What the hell's gone wrong? :(

I was just wondering if this is all still happening…Oz Tenpin and the Women's Worlds for 2009…

Back
Top Bottom