INCREASING PRIZE-FUNDS

boybrowny

:D Hi All...

Have been pondering the issue of BOWLING and PRIZEFUNDS. I have come up with an idea that can be used for at least one format of bowling tournament - THE NATIONALS.

Why dont we use a similar system to the USA? Instead of having all qualifying and tournament entries in the space of a week or two leading up to Rauchig and the Masters - why not sanction the entries to go on for 9 months of the year leading up to the masters?

This way - you would encourage many more entries from locals as well as attract more entries from travellers (who dont have to schedule their only annual holidays around a 2 week period determined by a bowling association!)

Even running a couple of major type tournaments within this 9 month period would at least draw the bowlers to the center (either to practice on the Masters/ Rauchig condition or to enter the events at their convenience).

In addition, allow league bowlers within that centre to pay additional prize-funds and enter national events.

CATCH? - you bet - the centre would have to lay the same condition for the full 9 months.

My personal recommendation would be that the centre would preferrably use a Kegel standard oiling machine - with a oil pattern approved by the TBA and FIQ (preferrably closer to 2-1 ratio than 25-1).

Any comments?

Hi Peter,
Whilst in theory this may seem like a good idea, I seriously doubt whether it would work, both the ABC & WIBC Nationals cater to several thousand teams and competitors throughout there tournament, and this event is sometimes bowled in a very large purpose built building with 60+ lanes over 3 months or so.

The TBA have nowhere near that response to there Nationals, and you can only imagine that next year at Townsville how it would be. It is unlikely that someone is just passing by Townsville, drop in and bowl a few games, and see how there scores line up in 9 months time.

The system works in the U.S with events like the Peterson Classic which I believe runs for a season, where the bowlers pay good money to bowl on disasterous conditions in a centre renowned for bad conditions, and bowlers flock from everywhere to try there skill and beat the lanes, they are rewarded handsomely.

Regarding lane conditions, how do we expect the lane conditions to be the same at the time the bowler bowls there games, are they going to bowl in the morning, afternoon or night, conditions vary from morning to night and day to day. Lane techs have enough trouble keeping conditions consistent from day to day for there leagues. The lane tech in whatever centre hosts the tournament cannot be expected to change conditions everytime someone wants to qualify for the Masters.

Regarding the Kegel Machine, we have one at Ed Fleming Lanes and the reason we got it was because of the inconsistencies of our previous wick machine. If a tournament is run in an AMF centre, you have to remember that AMF also owns Century and they are in opposition to Kegel, the fact that AMF allowed one to be used at Bankstown and a couple of others in Victoria this year surprises me. The good it did was useless, in the fact that the conditions were not anything like the FIQ they were created for, and for Rachuig, what can I say. Putting down different conditions for a five man team was going to prove that some bowlers were going to adapt better than others, I'm sure there was, but what else did it prove other than frustrate bowlers that were not prepared Bankstown was going to lay down conditions that never existed in there history.

Besides all this how many extra bowlers do you believe will turn up to boost the prizefund, not too many I would think.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

PB -
You make some good points.

The lane condition isnt such a big problem - after all even in the couple of weeks qualifying time you get for nationals - you can bowl on either fresh oil or badly carried down (depending on the time you bowl).

Just as long as they dont set up a block for during the week and a sport condition on the weekends etc... (keeping same oiling pattern throughout the tournament time).

As far as AMF/ Century goes - they are losing faith amongst the bowlers using wick-applying machines. At several tournaments I have approached the lane tech (usually a jnr bloke on as the head techs done like working weekends) and asked them to look inside the machines... I noticed that over 50% of machines had the outside 4 or 5 inches of wick removed (literally cut out) or the pressure cards placed between the wick and applicator to prevent any oil being laid on the outside 4 or 5 boards!!!).

All be it - i still believe there would be an increase in revenue for the national pay-outs. It may not be hugh initially - but it would increase.

I further believe that if introduced and people could see an increase in prize funds - it would have a snow-ball effect and more people would make the effort to bowl.

Even our RAUCHIG and other competetive interstate championships have the opportunity to benefit.

Many of what I consider Australias top bowlers do not bowl representative 10pin. For many different reasons i guess, but a big drawcard is always CASH.

If these same bowlers could go to a tournament knowing that if they can place a top 5 in either singles, doubles, teams and make their money back on the trip - I think it would make a difference.

While in the US several years ago, I bowled in a no-tap tournament (Buffalo from memory) - placed around the 800'th place mark and got $67 dollars back (more than double my entry fee).

This tournament is graded (ie - 9 no tap for 180+ bowlers, 8 for 150-180, 7 for 120-150 etc...) and enjoys TENS OF THOUSANDS OF ENTRIES.

Admittedly - there is a bigger market their - but the centre itself was quite obscure and only well known because of the tournament.

Like I say, you raise some valid points - but I still believe there must be some way to make the nationals more available for the average bowler and some way of building prize funds to make it attractive.

Surely there are some people out there who read this forum who have some ideas tucked away about how to increase linage/ income for the centre hosting the nationals as well as increased prizefunds for bowlers????

I for one would like to hear them.

I have heard some suggestion that a sponsor is needed.
There are still willing sponsors out there- but they dont want to contribute their money on the CHANCE that their contribution will create a great tournament. Instead they are waiting to find a great tournament then contribute to it. Sponsorship is only provided once it can be demonstrated the person contributing the money will get a service (be it advertising, exposure, sales etc...) - So although sponsorship is a good method of generating a bit of extra revenue (cream) - we cant expect good sponsorship until we can generate some interest in bowling through other methods....

Like I said - I am sure there are some smart people out there reading these posts with some great ideas - lets hear them.

After-all, isnt this what we all wanted a forum for in the first place - to discuss the possibilities of helping bowling grow in Australia and generate more interest in the sport?

Cheers

Boybrowny from http://www.10pinbowling.com

I think one of these events that goes for a few months is a possiblity. I think something along the lines of the Hoinke Classic or Bowlers Journal championships could work. A centre could put tournament squads on over a few months to help fill in normally 'dead' periods. Lane conditions would be a variable but when aren't they variable anyway? For something different let bowlers use their leauge scores too, this option would be preffered by people who did not want to make an extra trip to the centre that week. When there is a major on in town some of the bowlers could hit this event too to make a bit of extra $ .

Back
Top Bottom