In support of the TBA

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Dear bowlers,

As you are probably aware, I am one of the TBA's most open critics, however I fully support the new membership scheme and here is why you should be behind it 100% yourselves.

The registration fee of $27.50 is not a purchase..it is a contribution towards keeping our sport alive! Therefore you should not be asking for anything in return except for a set of rules which apply to every registered bowler in Australia and the ability to further your game through the pathways which are being offered through coaching, seminars, training squads etc.

Wayne,

I would have no problems at all if all of the TBA Membership Cost was going to our sport - but please explain how the Personal Accident Insurance cost is of benefit to TBA and therefore to our sport of Tenpin Bowling.

Hand over an amount of money (regardless of how much) and have no idea where it is going or what it is used for......

Great Idea

Wayne,

I would have no problems at all if all of the TBA Membership Cost was going to our sport - but please explain how the Personal Accident Insurance cost is of benefit to TBA and therefore to our sport of Tenpin Bowling.

Insurance, no matter how much or how little, is always beneficial to a person when they least expect it. At this point we the bowlers have no idea what the cost is for this cover, but I can assure you that you wouldn't be asking its value if you happened to be injured whilst bowling or travelling to or from an accredited event.

Hand over an amount of money (regardless of how much) and have no idea where it is going or what it is used for......

Great Idea

Think of it as an investment in the future of our sport...You want a bowl to go to for the next twenty or so years? then support the sport's governing body. Did you ask what your registration/membership fees would get you last year? or the year before? or before that? etc.., then why ask for something in return now.

Think of it as an investment in the future of our sport...You want a bowl to go to for the next twenty or so years? then support the sport's governing body. Did you ask what your registration/membership fees would get you last year? or the year before? or before that? etc.., then why ask for something in return now.

Since we are being so realistic here......

What the TBA has done has little if any benefit to our local centre. We see nothing of them and hear nothing about them. The social bowlers do not go there because the TBA advertises or refers them. I don't go there because of the TBA and I doubt very much any other league bowlers do.

As for questioning it, your response is just garbage. Just because something hasnt been questioned in the past doesnt mean it shouldnt be now. If we all had that attitude we would still think the world was flat.

The answer you're looking for is in my first post on this thread. maybe you should read it again if you haven't already done so and thus you'll understand where you money is going. I've seen firsthand what can happen with a standardized set of rules to follow. It's not a pretty sight.

This might sound quite radical but for once I agree with WChester.

How do you know all this is not going to produce some good if we are all not prepared to support TBA and give them a chance to make it work?

I have had several discussions with the new CEO and I can tell that she has a good business head on her shoulders. We have agreed to disagree on several points but on the big picture we are on the same page. Unfortunately, she is but only one person and can not physically appear at all league reformations or association meetings around this nation to champion the cause.

Although TBA does not recognize many organizations, such as ATBSO and Holt, these associations through their voting delegates have all voted to support the national body and certainly understand the need for an NSO.

I would encourage all to consider the ramifications to our sport if another NSO folded through financial failure. Our sport has walked a tightrope with the ASC for so many years, riding on the back of our inclusion in the 1998 Commonwealth Games and the failure of the Board of the previous NSO to cement our position in this event. Another failed NSO would most certainly be the last straw of our sport’s recognition and any further funding regardless of value in this country.

I would encourage you all to give this new model a chance to work by paying the $27.50 membership fee. This is such a small amount in today’s dollars, the equivalent of 2 packets of cigarettes, a round of drinks with your mates at the pub, half a tank of petrol or 30 minutes on the poker machines or if you are as unlucky as I am – 5 minutes.

This is only the first year of change, change always meets with resistance but give it a chance, pay the fee, monitor the benefits and then review this same topic come January 2010.

The answer you're looking for is in my first post on this thread. maybe you should read it again if you haven't already done so and thus you'll understand where you money is going. I've seen firsthand what can happen without a standardized set of rules to follow. It's not a pretty sight.

The word with, should have read without!

The TBA cant give us somthing for nothing pay penuts get monkeys. So with a little more cost and lets face it its not much when you look at other sports we could get great results. We just need to give them a chance.

Redundancies seem to give you the ability to see things in perspective much more than when your life is just meandering along. So placing the same perspective towards what the TBA has attempted to implement just makes me sit back and sigh in disbelief.

The reality is their plan was ill concieved and poorly researched and they failed to deliver a solution that was not only viable but failed to also take into account what was happening in the world around them. They also allowed a body (NSO) to cause them to make decisions that can only be described as downright stupid (that of not affiliating the two major associations in Melbourne) as it automatically guaranteed a huge loss in membership fees that the measly NSO funding will not make up for.

Now come on if anyone really thinks bowling will end up in the Olympics then you need to start therapy now before it is too late to save yourself. I for one then can't understand everyones blind desire to cater to the NSO as they do absolutely jack#### for bowling.

I suggest the TBA takes its reality check and reengages discussions with all the associations around the country before it folds (as it will) and get bowling on a sound footing in this country before even bothering with the NSO. You can argue about the loss of funding but to the average league bowler who doesn't see any of that funding I know they quite frankly won't give a toss and after seeing what a farce this is now neither do I.

The recognised and funded National Sporting Organisation (NSO) for Bowling is Tenpin Bowling Australia.

Basically, to remain 'open' for business and receive funding the TBA have to tick off a list of criteria encompassing national objectives: the promotion of juniors in sport, equity for women in sport, inclusion and support of disabled sportspersons, anti harrassment policy, pathways etc etc.... And run the day to day processes for a sporting organisation. (Please excuse a layman's approach).

It is this that we are supporting and funding by registering with the TBA. If you want to bowl at State, National and International Level you have to participate via an accredited sporting organisation.

Delivery of the sport is different to other team sports and it gives you the opportunity to participate on your own, in a team, league, tournament etc. This is a fantastic sport and a great recreational exercise for many at all different levels of ability and age.

What's happening in the world around us....poker machine revenue is up 9%.

Let's get behind OUR sport.

Leanne.

The recognised and funded National Sporting Organisation (NSO) for Bowling is Tenpin Bowling Australia.

Basically, to remain 'open' for business and receive funding the TBA have to tick off a list of criteria encompassing national objectives: the promotion of juniors in sport, equity for women in sport, inclusion and support of disabled sportspersons, anti harrassment policy, pathways etc etc.... And run the day to day processes for a sporting organisation. (Please excuse a layman's approach).

Yes but the point Terry is making (and quite rightly so) is that 99% of bowlers don't care about those things. With or without TBA, they could still turn up and bowl league every week and wouldn't notice a difference. If there were 20,000 league bowlers and 100 of those around the country were interested in bowling for their state or country (optimistic number these days), that represents only 0.5% of the bowling population. Double it to 200 and that's still only a percent.

A lot of you seem to be dismissing what could happen without a standardized set of rules and regulations as is currently set and enforced the TBA. imagine some of the following happening in your league and then decide if this is something you wouldn't be opposed to seeing.

1) blatant sandbagging to gain 'unfair' advantage in handicap leagues

2) out of balance or overweight bowling balls being used, which put the 'honest' bowler at a distinct disadvantage

3) tournament promoters or leagues failing to payoff the advertised amounts simply because there is no governing body and no one else can do anything about it

4) no more countin fouls because, well they aren't enforcible any longer

5) if your opponent wants to jump up and down next to you while you're on the approach..well just too bad because without the set of rules as enforced by the governing body, they can do whatever they want without penalty.

There are hundreds of rules in the TBA rulebook...how many are in your rulebook?..NONE!

With no standard rules to follow imagine what your league bowling would be like. Each AGM at the start of the year would take hours going through all the rules the League would like to have for the year. Then there is no-one to enforce them bar the league executive. Anything goes. If you want to change to a different league you will need to study carefully the league rules to see what they are before you can start to bowl.

Maybe finally when my ball comes out of the gutter to get that damn 10 pin it can count.... hooray. My wish for a remote controlled ball with a force field around it may come to fruition - there will be no rules as to what ball I can use. All those frustrations can be taken out on those damn pins. When one wobbles and stays there I can go down the lane and kick it over.

If you want to bowl on different surfaces that could be done. Forget long and short oil patterns (they will cease to exist) you could simply have longer or shorter lanes with no oil. You could even get cross country lanes with a water hazard just over the foul line so that you need to loft the ball at the start, another lane with a bump in the middle that you have do bowl over. Then the pins could be bigger, smaller, lighter, heavier, cracked, warped, rounded at the bottom etc. The mind boggles with possibilities.

Realistically I agree with Wayne without a standard set of rules our beloved sport will become such a farce. Tournaments would become a total joke and whats a foul???

For $27.50 its a cheap sport to join and participate as often as we like and can afford. With Centres and lanes being accredited, standard set of rules that everyone must follow, equipment specifications etc we all know what to expect when we start bowling.

Can someone tell me when anyone said they didn't want to pay a registration fee? As far as I can see there isn't a post where anyone has said that.

The posts all relate to questioning where the money goes and what good it is doing for the sport. That's a fair enough question in anyone's book.

My last post saying the same thing in this thread was deleted. Perhaps I am using too much common sense for some people..........

My last post saying the same thing in this thread was deleted. Perhaps I am using too much common sense for some people..........

Nothing you have posted here has been deleted at all...It's as you have posted in this thread...

P.s Also insert you last name in your profile please

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom