I am a new bowler, i would like some tips

N

new_member

Hi... I am a realitively new league bowler, have been playing for about 2 years now... and i would like you to help me out in how these few things can affect my bowling game

1. Oil - Where does it start and end(on the lane), what difference does it make?
2. Arrows - How exactly do you know which one you aim for.
3. Bowling type - Is it better to bowl straight or curve the ball (I'm a straight bowler at the moment, but in time i think my coach will be teaching me how to curve the ball instead of going straight)

I would really like some advice on this.

Hi New member - welcome to Total Bowling.
All those questions should really be addressed by a coach who has watched and assessed your game.
If you ask on this forum you will probably get a dozen different replies all of which will be totally confusing. Choose a coach and stick to his/her advice only. (You will probably meet several coffee shop coaches in your local centre who think they know every aspect of the game backwards. Most of them will average around 150. They mean well, but do try to ignore them.)
An accredited level 1 coach will take you through all the learning drills, advise you about equipment and conditions and even suggest the most suitable league for you. Choose carefully and stick to one coach at a time. And above all enjoy your bowling.
- And good luck!

I agree, a coach there with you at the centre would be able to help most with that.

But i can answer your questions

1. Oil - Where does it start and end(on the lane), what difference does it make?
2. Arrows - How exactly do you know which one you aim for.
3. Bowling type - Is it better to bowl straight or curve the ball (I'm a straight bowler at the moment, but in time i think my coach will be teaching me how to curve the ball instead of going straight)

1. Depends on your centre as to what the oil pattern is. Only speaking for my centre, it stops about 15 feet from the end and has more central oil.
2. The arrow to aim for will depend on how you intend to bowl and where you start on the approach. I was taught off the 2nd arrow on the right (for a right hander) but now i actually use the dots that are a few feet in and use the 3rd dot in for my strike ball. But it depends on you.
3. There isnt any real answer, it depends what you want to achieve. All top line bowlers i know bowl a hook delivery and speaking from personal experience, i went up several grades after i started bowling hook. However, straighter bowling can be an advantage on spares...if you can do it (i dont though)

I would seek advice from someone you know who is willing to help you and answer your questions

Back
Top Bottom