HRT and TOll Racing Black Flagged !

Jase

Admin
Staff member
DRAMATIC talks were underway last night to save the integrity of the V8 Supercar championship after two of the leading teams were thrown out of the series.

The famous Holden Racing Team and reigning champions Toll HSV Dealer – two of the biggest motor racing outfits in the nation – have been banned from the 2007 V8 Supercar championship.

The ban threatens the immediate future of the reigning V8 Supercar champion Rick Kelly and his Toll co-driver Garth Tander.

But even more dramatically, the ban threatens the future of the Holden Racing Team – the most famous team name in the sport.

HRT is also the most successful team in the history of Australian motorsport and has been home to some of the sport's greatest driving names – Peter Brock, Mark Skaife and Craig Lowndes.

Skaife and his co-driver Todd Kelly, who won Bathurst in 2005, were still testing their new Commodore yesterday in Victoria preparation for the coming season.

The ban, less than two weeks before the opening round of the 2007 season, has sent shockwaves through the motorsport industry.

The Touring Car Entrants Group, which licences V8 Supercar race teams, cancelled the licences of both teams over an ownership issue.

At the centre of the ban is the position of the powerful Holden personality Tom Walkinshaw.

Under TEGA rules, no two V8 teams are allowed to be owned by the same person.

For the past 12 months – with evidence of close co-operation between HRT and Toll – TEGA has asked the teams for clarification of their ownership.

When last Friday no such information was forthcoming TEGA, sighting an "unwillingness of both organisations to reveal their ownership structures" revoked their licences.

Officially, HRT is owned by Mark Skaife while the Toll team is owned by the Kellys' father, John Kelly. However, the position of Walkinshaw clouds the ownership issue.

He is a former owner of HRT who returned to the Australian racing scene at the start of the 2006 season ostensibly as general manager of both HRT and Toll.

A controversial driver swap program between HRT and Toll paired the Kelly boys and saw Skaife link with Tander for the last year's Sandown and Bathurst events.

The move was seen as trademark Walkinshaw, the reasoning being no one else in the sport is powerful enough to have been able to extract such co-operation in the often acrimonious world of V8 Supercars.

The move incensed TEGA officials who are headed by the experienced motor racing administrator Kelvin O'Reilly.

Last night O'Reilly initiated a "mediation meeting" with senior Holden executives to try to resolve the matter before the start of the season.

Of course they stayed in, the rules are for other people. Walkinshaw has had his hand in building dodgy cars and running dodgy teams for yrs(how do think his 3.5l Rovers could stay with 5l Commodores when they races eachother in Europe for example, maybe they werent 3.5l anymore!!!)

Damn Holdens breaking the rules again. Rick Kelly deserves to be banned after what he did to Lowndes.

HRT AND TOLL RACING HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE ALL CLEAR AND DID EVERY ONE SEE THE TWO TEAMS DOMINATE IN THE CLIPSIL 500 IT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME BECAUSE HOLDEN ARE NO.1.

HOLDENS RULE FOREVER*****:D =D> \\:D/

D-Day for Skaife and HRT

D-Day for Skaife and HRT
By Cameron Tomarchio
March 11, 2007

Monday is D-Day for Mark Skaife and the Holden Racing Team. The Touring Car Entrants Group (TEGA), the governing body for the V8 Supercar Championship teams, will announce by 5pm whether Skaife has satisfactorily proven he is the sole owner and controller of HRT.

If TEGA is not satisfied, HRT will be booted from the championship. It's black and white.

Last month TEGA threatened to revoke the licences of HRT - featuring drivers Skaife and Todd Kelly - and HSV Dealer Team - boasting reigning champion Rick Kelly and Garth Tander - if requests for clarification of ownership and control were not met.

HSV Dealer owners John and Margaret Kelly - the parents of drivers Todd and Rick - were able to prove compliance before the February deadline.

Skaife failed but was handed a two-week reprieve which enabled he and team-mate Todd Kelly to contest the season opening Clipsal 500 in Adelaide last weekend.

Todd Kelly came out of the weekend leading the championship, with younger brother Rick second.

TEGA have been concerned about cooperation between HRT and HSV Dealer, as well as the involvement of the previous owner of both teams Tom Walkinshaw. One person cannot own two teams.

Skaife has come under fire from fellow drivers and team owners throughout the saga, most notably with Ford's WPS Racing boss Craig Gore threatening to pull his team out of V8 Supercars while calling for Skaife's resignation as a TEGA director.

Gore, who owns businesses around the world, blasted Skaife for wasting time, saying it should take no more than 24 hours to prove you own something.

"It's not hard to prove the contractual purchase or ownership of an asset," Gore said.

"I think it's a lot easier to prove ownership of something than a requirement to need 14 days - I can prove I own this team this afternoon.

"Considering the effort that I had to go to get my licence and the scrutiny I was put under ... I'm astounded that we haven't been able to clear this up very, very quickly."

AAP

Back
Top Bottom