Howdy!

J

JJ13

I'm an old non-bowler.... Just been embarrassed at work by someone bringing in a very old copy of Pin Action (for those of you old enough to remember that) from when I bowled 300 many moons ago.

Just dropped by out of curiosity to see if there were any old names I knew, and there still are a few out there I see. Hello to you all but especially to those that I spent many hours with all over the country during my bowling years!

Jason Hiron

Hey Jason,

What you been up to? Its been a long time since I saw you at a tournament, at least 15 years I would think, if not longer.

Hey Brenton

Yeah I reckon it would actually be more than 15 years since I picked up a ball - don't know about you but that makes me feel old!

Well apart from the necessity called work I have not been up to a whole lot really. Married, divorced, married again and now have two little boys, 19 months and 3 months so that is keeping me pretty busy but very happy at the moment.

From what I have read on these forums bowling is still suffering from the same issues that were around when I stopped playing, actually it sounds as if they are worse. Very sad that the administrators of the sport have failed it so badly over the years.

Anyway, good to see that the SA Cup still exists think I might put an entry in the ball competition can I count on you to shoot 230 for qualifying? :)

Hey Brenton
Yeah I reckon it would actually be more than 15 years since I picked up a ball - don't know about you but that makes me feel old!
Well apart from the necessity called work I have not been up to a whole lot really. Married, divorced, married again and now have two little boys, 19 months and 3 months so that is keeping me pretty busy but very happy at the moment.
From what I have read on these forums bowling is still suffering from the same issues that were around when I stopped playing, actually it sounds as if they are worse. Very sad that the administrators of the sport have failed it so badly over the years.
think I might put an entry in the ball competition can I count on you to shoot 230 for qAnyway, good to see that the SA Cup still exists ualifying? :)[/QUOTE]

LOL, maybe if they put down a friendly pattern. Its a pretty open field this year.

I resisted the temptation to get married until I was 35, (more like I couldn't find anyone silly enough!:rolleyes::rolleyes:) now got 2 kids, son 8, daughter 4. Feeling very old at 48 though. I got out of the Feds mid 1999 after 19 1/2 years, owned a proshop for a while, now warehouse manager for one of the distributors.

There have been problems at all levels of the sport. Participation levels are down for many reasons, mainly, I think, affordability. To be competitive at National level these days, you need at least a 4 ball arsenal and with some players being sponsored, a lot of the other players feel they can't afford to keep upgrading their equipment to match the sponsored players. That and the rising cost of living (housing affordability, fuel etc) is making it difficult for promoters to get large fields, unlss they do something special in relation to the payouts etc.

Anyway, good to see you back, even if it is only observing.

Back
Top Bottom