How many Bowling shirts do you have?

How many shirts do you have?

• Total voters
I have a number of "bowling" garments - here's one or two that might interest you..........

1. The embroidery on the back reads..........

ASTORIA MOTOR BODY WORKS

606 Hawthorn Road

E. Brighton

now what IS interesting is the phone number..........it's

XM 3203 .....how old is this shirt do you think??

It is NOT as one might expect an M J Knape shirt it is in fact a McGregor [of America] shirt..a US company that made bowling and golf shirts in Australia for a small space in time in the 1960's. It was made under license to "Andrew Scott" [which is interesting given who "Andrew Scott" is now in the garment world of New York - and YES it's the same fellow]

2. A bowling shirt made by Simpson Sportswear of Melbourne .......it has on the back lettering in "white gloss plastic" [very unique] noting........

Simpson [in "running" writing]

SPORTSWEAR [in CAPS underneath]

this appears NOT so remarkable - yet it is - it was the shirt that belonged to John Middleton.......WHO? John Middleton was the first bowler EVER in Australia to bowl a 300 game that was rejected by the [then] ATBC! He bowled his "not sanctioned" 300 game at Dandenong Bowl [the first one - not the current one] in 1965

3. Finally, and worth waiting for is an A.P.B.A "red" blazer [Australian Professional Bowlers Association]- with the coat of arms of Australia on the chest pocket with the APBA centered in the map of Australia and the "bowlers" name in a crest above the logo. Made by "California Menswear" Coburg and Moonee Ponds! The last time I checked this company was long gone...even after they sponsored leagues at [the very least] Squash Bowl in Box Hill.

There are many more - but I have bored you all enough.

Hmmm... Do my old PBA shirts count as "international representation"? Otherwise, a treasured green and gold shirt I wore in the Bowling World Cup would be it. I'm proud to say that I still fit into it!

Lot's of other shirts though. My favourite is probably a Canadian shirt my friend Randy Kostenuk gave me, with the maple leaf embroidered on the back. (I might get it out for league this week...)

lotsa old Mt gambier Country Cup, Masters and U/25 ones. My beautiful pink ATBA shirt, a few Track ball shirts that ive pretty much worn out. Just like my other gear really, too many of them and more 90's ones than i need!!

I had a shirt given to me by the great Earl Anthony when I was bowling on the Midwest regionals in St Louis.I wore it in the Australian Open one year and shot 150,so I gave the shirt away to some kid who was watching me bowl all day.What a huge mistake that was.Jones how much do you think that would be worth now.
Cheers Lovey

Lovell.......bowling shirts, like most things people collect are valued along similar lines.

1. Rarity

2. Quality

3. History

Without laboring the point, most everything you need to assess fits into one of these three areas. So..and in reverse.

3. History - well of course we all know the great mans bowling history and status in the sport - and sadly combined with the fact he left us far to young - this box is well and truly ticked.

2. Quality - to be really worth something the item should be mint and [should circumstances allow] preferably in original packaging. In this case we can scratch the packing and for the sake of the discussion - despite the reality that for a short time the item was actually on YOUR person [depreciating the value alarmingly I would suggest] - let's assume it was in "good" condition

3. Rarity - hhmmm, well given the great man gave a shirt to YOU Lovell - this might suggest to a cynical observer that he owned hundreds of the darned things!!! However we won't belittle the gesture with negatives - we will assume there are perhaps a few dozen of these shirts available. Which if you do the math makes them relatively rare.

Thus - taking the above into account - very likely the item could fetch $300 - $500 - a lot depends on where you try to sell it of course. If it was mint - and even without packaging [and in this case if I did find an Earl Anthony shirt still in packaging I would critically question it's authenticity] - and did not have the burden of history of being worn at one time by someone else [aka Lovell] - then maybe as much as $1000.

Nice gift - cork head!

Jones

Yeh Jones,nice gift to the young guy I gave it to. Gee I was a nice guy back then, always thinking of the new breed of bowlers.Bloody hell I'm kicking myself now.
Cheers Lovey

Don't kick yourself Lovey, let us do that for you Mr. Nice Guy back them (are you sure about that)

cheers

Tony

Lovey, You never know that kid might happen upon this thread and try to sell it back to you :p

Back
Top Bottom