How many balls do you need?

How many bowling balls do you need to be reasonably competitive in tournaments?

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 21 30.4%

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 36 52.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

weggy

How many bowling balls do you see as absolutely necessary for the tournament bowler. I would like to start bowling in some bigger competitions and I'm not sure how many one needs to compete at a suitable level.

To be honest it depends if your right handed or left handed. Lefties such as myself have less need for many balls as we dont enounter dry heads or significant oil transition.

Lefty's can get away with 4 if they can flatten out their spare shot. Righties need 6. I think you'll find at a National or International level this is right on the mark.

In addition to the balls though every top flight bowler will have some sort of resurfacing kit with them, infact doubling and tripling their arsenal with surface adjustments (dull, sheen, polished).

Your arsenal should be diverse and complimentary to the way you bowl, something you need to talk to your coach and ball driller about. Hope this helps

G

One thing to mention is that in addition to the different types of ball you can take (ie particle, reactive, symmetric or asymmetric weightblock etc), and the finish you can put on them (dull, polished, varying degrees of grit surface, etc), another important aspect is the actual drilling layout of the ball. So while you could be competitive with 4 balls on most conditions, the drilling layouts on certain balls can give you an extra advantage. This is something that can't really be changed once you arrive at a tournament, whereas the surface finish can be easily changed as George said. This is another reason why taking 6 balls can be handy. You'd be pretty brave taking any less than 4 though.. hey Tonx ;)

Tim.

I only use three...but thats all i own. I have a reactive for medium/heavy, reactive for dry and a poly-urethane for heavy oil, but it also works in drier conditions. The only think i dont have is a plastic ball which could make single pin sparing easier on any lane condition

Easy Tiger said:
You'd be pretty brave taking any less than 4 though.. hey Tonx ;)
Tim.

Brave? More like stupid and testing..... LOL

Generally, I take 6 balls to all tournaments. This includes:

Light/medium Load Particle ball
Matte finish solid
Polished Solid
Stronger Polished solid (to open up the lanes)
Weaker Pearl
Plastic

When I use to bowl, I only ever took one ball as that is all I had, I can see how the game has come so far with all the different balls and i didnt know that they all have a different finish on them. I may have to do a little reading I think to understand what you boys are talking about.

When you take 4 balls do you use them all?

tonx said:
Generally, I take 6 balls to all tournaments. This includes:
Light/medium Load Particle ball
Matte finish solid
Polished Solid
Stronger Polished solid (to open up the lanes)
Weaker Pearl
Plastic

By the term 'solid' do you mean a reactive coverstock?

speaks no evil said:
When you take 4 balls do you use them all?

Not always, but sometimes. It depends. When you go away, especially interstate, you often don't know exactly how the lanes and/or condition is going to play. Over time you can make more informed choices as you gain experience in the places you are going, but you can never be 100% sure.

Generally I find, of the 6 I take, I use 3 or 4 in the actual competition. It would be great if I knew I would only need those 3 or 4 beforehand, but you often don't know until you get there.

For example, 2 balls of my 6 when I went to Columbia Youth Cup in Geelong in July were the V2 Sanded (polished up) and the Storm Vertigo (left dull). In Geelong the V2 Sanded was my ball of choice and had a great reaction, and the Vertigo got about 3 shots and was promptly put back in the bag.

I then went to SA Under 23 Classic a couple of weeks ago, and the Vertigo was the ball of choice, I used it almost the whole of qualifying. The V2 got about 3 shots and was promtly put back in the bag..

You get the idea. Until you actually get there, it's hard to know for sure.

1 ball - Blue Green Centaur

Hooks early, late, hard, slow, goe's straight when needed....Just need to adapt to the conditions.....
6 balls Tonx, Jeez.....

Ice_Magik said:
6 balls Tonx, Jeez.....

Having guys like Bowling Balls Australia around is great for the sport of Ten Pin Bowling in Australia. he fact that I don't have to spend 400-500 on a high performance ball allows me to remain competitive with the guys that are sponsored!

Having too many balls is often better than not having enough!

GeorgeF said:
But your not competitive Tonx...... better buy some more balls

Beat you didnt I?

LMFAO. Left yourself wide open there Georgie boy, thought you were better than that. No wait, no I didn't.

Maybe its because you weren't throwing Track?

Let's check out your awesome results Andrew 'Cartman' ' throw it brookyln' Tonkin

Quibica AMF series - Tonkin 11th
Australian Rankings - Tonkin 11th
Sa Youth - 7th
Geelong Youth - 22nd
K&K - too scared
Arafura - too scared
NSW open - too scared
AO - 2nd (threw more brooklyns in the history of the AO)
SA Cup - too scared

SPC - will probably have something on and wont make it ie too scared

Well how could I ever compare with such impressive results, I can't believe a ball company has grabbed you to work for them. I think TBA need to get people like you into the National Team, your so good!

But wait, you wouldnt pass the beep test would cartman? whoops, there goes another chance

Any side bets for SPC or isnt Pizza Hut giving you the weekend off?

Wow, someone took offense to being queer eye :D

I'm just not loaded like your George..... "Pizza Hut" (ie: the energy retailer I work for) doesn't give me as much time as LOREAL used to give you to travel. As a matter of fact, i'm rather happy with my results this year. Why shouldn't I be?

Side bet for SPC? Sure, when you pay up for the Bet you lost against me for SA
Visionary won't win a title, their staffers are rubbish, Rebecca Simpson is a hack and can't bowl on oil, Bottomley isn't as good as me, etc etc
$3000) and AO
You will never be as good as me and never beat me, I've won the rankings X amount of years, I'm better than everyone else. I've won 40,000 this year with track, and if i ever lose my contract with track, ill still continue to bowl with them
$3000

I'm too scared to go against you at SPC. You won it last year didn't you? How did you go against the competition at World Cup?

EDITED BY ADMIN

I think you both owe it to your Sponsors/Companies/Bosses to give it a rest.

USE PM Guys..](*,)

Sometimes you just have to face facts Tonx, your not very good. Your resume is laughable, I'd find another sport if I threw it like you.

You never made that bet with me in SA, remember, you never showed because Pizza hut had you on night shift. I don't rubbish BBA staffers, I'm good friends with alot of them, its you I dont like.

My results speak for themselves,

how many World Cups you been too?
How many times you represented your country?
How many National titles you won?
How many Commonwealth Championships have you won?
How many 300's do you have?
How many State titles you won?
Which companies sponsor you? (why would they)

The list goes on....... I've never proclaimined to be great but results speak for themseleves and they are certainly results you'll never attain. When your man enough to put money on the table and play with the big boys come back and speak to me, until then, go back to the rock you came from and find another sport to annoy.

GeorgeF said:
Sometimes you just have to face facts Tonx, your not very good. Your resume is laughable, I'd find another sport if I threw it like you.
I don't rubbish BBA staffers, I'm good friends with alot of them, its you I dont like.

My results speak for themselves,

how many World Cups you been too?
How many times you represented your country?
How many National titles you won?
How many Commonwealth Championships have you won?
How many 300's do you have?
How many State titles you won?
Which companies sponsor you? (why would they)

The list goes on....... I've never proclaimined to be great but results speak for themseleves and they are certainly results you'll never attain. When your man enough to put money on the table and play with the big boys come back and speak to me, until then, go back to the rock you came from and find another sport to annoy.

This post alone shows what you are about.

ive never proclaimed to be great

Im going to search for the chat record I have of you rubbishing VBP staffers.
This will show everyone what sort of attitude you have to those that aren't you. Don't worry Jase, I've got him slandering you also..... Great friend he is.

Like I said, im over your pissing contests and elitist attitude. I bowl because I enjoy the sport.

I work for BBA because I am happy to give ball and layout advice to every bowler that asks. I treat every level of bowler as equals. Beginners like Ice Magik, Regular league bowlers like Alexnjudy, and the Superstars like Mel Warmington. You don't like me because I know you are no better than any other bowler that steps up onto the approach.

You are a great role model for the sport. Telling a youth bowler to give up. Its people like you ruining the sport.

Kindest of Regards

Andrew "Cartman" Tonkin
p.s. If you want to slander my technical knowlege of the game, ask some of the guys I drill for, and their results this year. Why don't you also ask the Several PBA regional members I regularly give layout advice to on my site?

This is some seriously funny ****!

Australias number 1 ranked bowler and the kid from pizza hut going for it, i love it!

One bloke went quiet for a year to let his bowling do the talking and proved a pretty big point to the country, and now has come back to the forum with avengence and the other has really done nothing but talk himself up, **** people on the forum, send threatening private messages and drill a few balls for people who obviously have the ability to make them score.

I know how we can solve this debate, i am going to start 2 poles:
1. Who do you think is the better bowler, Cartman or Adonis?
2. Who do you like best? The pizza Hut delivery Kid or The painters pal?

The person with the most votes on both poles is the winner and gets to put the last post on this topic.
The loser has to wear pink grandma undies over his pants during qualifying for the SPC. (Only qualifying because i only think one of them will make it past that point)

If you can think of any other rewards for the loser to perform at the SPC post them here and we may just be able to keep the big wee wee contest going for a bit longer.

:D

The winner will receive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom