How long should leagues run

thomstar

lunchbox legend
I bowl in a house run league ten teams (when they all show up) we started in Jan will finish Dec is this to long ? does it make it boring ? interested in your views and thoughts.... cheers Ps.Go the FORDS

I think 2 or 3 rounds of matches is often enough to play before people lose interest if their too far down the standings sheet.

My Thursday league has two cycles each year, usually lasting between 20 and 26 weeks each. Personally I believe a Jan to Dec cycle is far too long.

My preference is for shorter leagues, but it does depend on how many bowlers you have in the league. Everyone needs to play each other at least twice...but most leagues are on a 3 round basis that I have bowled in.

When leagues go for too long the bowlers at the bottom end tend to drop out so it is a difficult decision when thinking about an appropriate timeframe.

You should remember that the bowl will keep the lanes available for the league only for as long as it is bowling so generally this is why most leagues bowl from mid to late January through to December.

You can always choose to run two seasons during the year and most leagues run on a revolving cycle so the league season may not actually finish during the one calendar year.

We run a ten team 45 week season with only Melbourne Cup day as a week we don't bowl. We also specifically do not bowl in December because of the hassle of parking at Chadstone Shopping centre as Christmas approaches and the centre extends its trading hours. Hence mid to late January through to the last Tuesday in November.

We find this is not too long, starts and concludes the season in the one calendar year and gives the bowlers enough break over the summer to recharge their batteries.

I just finished a league last week that started in August 2007. It's a 4 person teams format. Prizefund will be good though ;)

2-3 rounds is typical, so length of season depends on number of teams. I think a 10 team comp should be 3-4 rounds (27-36 weeks) max. 5 rounds (45 weeks) just seems a little long to me, but that's just my thoughts. An 18 team league on the other hand would play 2 rounds (34 weeks).

Bowl international doubles league at dandenong bowl.
48 double teams 4 teams per pair. Play each team once 47 week season.
pays to last place $5000 for first. League has a waiting list.
Very strong league with some of Australia's best bowlers.
GOOD WELL RUN LEAGUE WITH NO HASSLES.

Back
Top Bottom