Hi All

Anthony L

Tony Long
Just a query if I could and I know it's a little way off but could anyone in Canberra please inform me of the dates for the ACT Seniors Cup in March 06 please..... appreciate it Tony

G'day Anthony;
May I wish you good luck in your quest.
I think we all would like to have that info.
You may have more luck if you where to approach Peter Coburn.
Ray

Ray

Thankyou Raymond l do appreciate you getting back to me and hopefully the dates will be posted real soon so we can organise some of those cheap flights to Canberra..... :rolleyes:

Applications to have a Seniors event ranked in 2006 have not yet closed so nothing has been finalised. According to the TBA in 2006 all Senior events will be for 50 years and over, instead of 45 years and over as in previous years this may effect whether some events go ahead in 2006 as they are run by the over 45's association in each state.

So TBA are busy looking for TBA staff or perhaps centres to run the Seniors Tournaments next year? I wish them the best of luck. ;) ;)

The change in the age limit for next year has NEVER been a secret.........seniors tournaments can be organised separate from ATBSO,without "TBA or centres having to run the event" - the Brisbane Seniors Cup is a prime example of this.

The only downside to the age restriction will be the number of competitors, but we are seeing tournie numbers dwindling everywhere, irrespective of whether the event is open, youth or senior. Those that want to bowl,WILL BOWL, those that don't, WON'T :rolleyes:

For what its worth, my opinion regarding senior tournaments is that we may see an INCREASE in the level of entries. There are quite a number of seniors around who have dropped out of competitive bowling because they feel they cannot compete against 45 year olds any longer. Just because we feel "old" doesnt mean we don't feel competitive anymore and given the right approach, there could be a few "older" bowlers getting back into competion. Many of them don't really care about winning, they just want to bowl and enjoy it, but they are not going to turn up every time and just miss the cut.

However to achieve maximum participation for the "golden oldies" the tournament schedule has to be appropriate. 12 games in one day can be a little daunting for some, particularly the ladies. There is a big difference in fitness levels between a 45 year old female and a 55 year old female, while some are lucky to remain ultra fit, others suffer many health problems at that stage in their life.

The Queensland Senior Tournament was run by Laurie Hill, who is the current President of Qld ATBSO; although this tourny was organised independent of the Queensland organisation. Many of the other state senior tournaments were run by ATBSO members in a similar fashion. Question is - will they want to continue to run the senior tournaments knowing that maybe 40% of the ATBSO current membership will not be elligible to bowl?

In short: Wouldnt it be a good idea for the TBA State Associations to get involved in running the senior tournaments? Presidents Shield, Rachuig, Walter de Vere are all tournaments run by the state associations - where is the senior section?

Josie Adams

Queensland State Office would love to work more closely with the Seniors (and for that matter TQ). We don't want to take over, but we would like to help out if we can.

Back
Top Bottom