Help?

Keep the new ball clean, be good to your mother and don't eat the yellow snow.
With a bit more detail we can probably add some more. ;)

Cheers guys, I used to bowl an old maxim straight ball making my first transition to reactive, bought a brunswick slingshot 14pound went bowling last week going again tomorrow but tended to skid that was at cross roads after league also I imagine dry lanes.
Do you release a reactive the same as a straight ball? Just not same spot on the lane??

Cheers guys, I used to bowl an old maxim straight ball making my first transition to reactive, bought a brunswick slingshot 14pound went bowling last week going again tomorrow but tended to skid that was at cross roads after league also I imagine dry lanes.
Do you release a reactive the same as a straight ball? Just not same spot on the lane??

It would certainly pay to inquire at the bowl there if there are any knowledgeable coaches to help you adjust to stepping into a reactive ball from plastic. If you are used to throwing a straight release/shot, and you are wanting to improve your level of skill, it would be definitely be worthwhile gaining assistance in altering your release to make the most out of your new toy. Generating rotation will assist knocking those pins down, but be warned, this will open up other areas of your game where you will need to learn and improve as well.

Good luck with your bowling.

Further to Michael's warning, I will add be prepared to buy another ball soon, followed by another one, and then another and then... well you get the idea what im saying. :)

Get on Youtube and watch a few Pros like Chris Barnes, Norm Duke. You"ll get a look at the way they release the ball,follow through, etc, etc. Just remember they've been doing it for years so obviously they're at the top but that's the foundation that most people work towards. Further to Roysa's comments, when you walk in to buy your next reactive be sure to take a breath before you put down the cash because if you are just learning then the ball you need now may be layed out wrong on what you'll be doing next month. Hold back until you sort out your technique so you don't waste money on going for the instant fix ball.
And get a coach.

Cheers bluey :) I'm friend with a really good distributor so I know also he won't let me buy something can't handle.
I've heard the dv8's are good but aggressive. What your thoughts?

What sort is it jay boy briz? Weight?

It's the purple/orange, 15lb, one drill 30 games max... Great ball for entry-mid level performance. I bought it for drier conditions in tournaments but its got too much for the conditions we've seen this year... I need a urethane!!

Hey Jay Boy

Thanks mate but I'll pass, a friend of mine has the same ball and similar issues so I can understand. Thanks very much for ye offer though mate :)

No prob mate,I'm going to plug it and try a different layout, has good shape but it jumps on me in the last few feet... See if I can get it to fill the hole in my bag!

No prob mate,I'm going to plug it and try a different layout, has good shape but it jumps on me in the last few feet... See if I can get it to fill the hole in my bag!
Have you thought about surface changes to help bleed off some energy sooner or adding a P1 weight hole to reduce the diff ratio and make it less jumpy off the spot?

Hey Robbie, already on a 4000/polish, but the P1 weight hole hasn't been tried yet. Seeing the ball wizard tomorrow to see if we can flatten her out a bit

Hey Dave, the best advice is find a reputable coach / experienced bowler in your centre (the manager will know where to point you) and get the basics down first. Spend as much time as you can afford to practising the skills/ drills that the coach has layed out for you. Practising the right thing over and over will build the muscle memory will give you more control and allow you to move into higher end gear, as well as learning where your breakpoint is, how to add/take off revs, ball speed, balance, targeting, line adjustments, etc etc etc. ALL the top end bowlers have gone through this process, some coach assisted and some not, but it's experience and practice that seperates them from the "mere mortals". Don't be like one of the guys who has "All the gear, and NO idea!!!" Good luck :)

Jay Boy you should try 2000 no polish to settle down that ball of yours. 4000 and polish will see it jump like buggery where as the 2000 dull will bleed off some revs as Robbie suggested and tame it down a bit. Could always go through lower grades of sanding to find what works best before re drilling.

Dave I don't see a lot of DV8 gear so I can't comment but all brands have gear that "Goes long and hooks hard". Sometimes it just comes down to what's available where you shop and brand loyalty.

Back
Top Bottom