Green Gargoyle

If its on the track, it can be filled up with plug (carefully). If its not on the track, it won't affect the ball so unless the aesthetics of the ball are more important than the performance, why bother?

Its just a bowling ball. They get damaged occasionally. it is a concern to the centre if it happens a lot, but every centre in the world has ball damage at times. Usually if a ball gets scratched or chunked, they can be repaired and unless the customer has a brand new ball or the damage is extensive, we fill up the holes and resurface it. A good shop can get the color match close enough on most balls that you will have trouble finding the repair in many cases. Sometimes you get damage that can't be fixed without altering ball reaction, or to a new ball and you bite the bullet and replace it, but at the end of the day the odd battle scar won't worry the ball at all.

If its on the track, it can be filled up with plug (carefully). If its not on the track, it won't affect the ball so unless the aesthetics of the ball are more important than the performance, why bother?
Its just a bowling ball. They get damaged occasionally. it is a concern to the centre if it happens a lot, but every centre in the world has ball damage at times. Usually if a ball gets scratched or chunked, they can be repaired and unless the customer has a brand new ball or the damage is extensive, we fill up the holes and resurface it. A good shop can get the color match close enough on most balls that you will have trouble finding the repair in many cases. Sometimes you get damage that can't be fixed without altering ball reaction, or to a new ball and you bite the bullet and replace it, but at the end of the day the odd battle scar won't worry the ball at all.

Very good summary Robbie

I'll throw another one into the mix: A ball that is 3 balls old (not games, balls), a chunk bigger in diameter than a golf ball, and about 15 mm deep, right on it's track........

What should happen there do you think?

Max

This was the second time it happen to me.
Last time i had screws inprint i my Bronze Centaur

Very good summary Robbie
I'll throw another one into the mix: A ball that is 3 balls old (not games, balls), a chunk bigger in diameter than a golf ball, and about 15 mm deep, right on it's track........
What should happen there do you think?
Max

No arguement here - replace the ball. THEN go down the back for a nice chat with the techs. ;) It really doesn't cost a lot in the long run, as an almost brand new damaged ball will sell second hand for almost cost price anyway after repairs. Or an up-&-coming junior gets basically a free ball. Either way its a cheap price to pay for keeping a bowler, especially one with a very legitimate complaint.

What happened?

Is it on the track?
If so, sorry, replace it.
If not:
  1. sand it out gently with the bevel sander (don't drill it!) You must have fresh surface all over the wound.
  2. clean thoroughly
  3. pour clear urethane plugging into it (you can save on plugging by using a skinny dam made out of packing tape.)
  4. let it go off for a week (at least three days, being summer, but a week for winter)
  5. cut back and resurface as usual
I fixed one like this for myself last month. The finished repair should be nearly imperceptible and last for years. This works well with pearlised balls, including polyester.

Cheers,
Jason

yeah he fixed one of mine just a few weeks ago works fine and it was even on my track but it does make a huge difference on the track

Back
Top Bottom