Celebrities and Bowling

stormxxx

Bowling fans can't turn around these days without hearing about the latest celebrity- or professional athlete-produced bowling event. And rarely does a week go by during which a star of field or screen doesn't profess his addiction to the lanes.

But who's a true bowling aficionado, and who's a wannabe? To get the definitive answer, US Bowler did a little research into the tenpin accomplishments of a host of television and movie stars, and professional athletes, and compiled the first ranking of celebrities who take to the lanes on a regular basis.

The US Bowler and USBC staffs trimmed the list of celeb bowlers to 30, and turned the voting over to the USBC Blue Ribbon Panel - USBC Vice President of Marketing/Communications Tom Clark; syndicated newspaper columnist, television commentator and professed TV bowling regular Norman Chad; Six-time Denny's PBA Tour titlist Chris Barnes; and NBA star and USBC Spokesperson Chris Paul.

Now US Bowler and bowl.com readers have a chance to weigh in on the final rankings. Go to the bowl.com homepage and pick who you think is the best celebrity bowler out there. Or click here to submit your own write-in candidate. Remember to explain why your write-in is a great bowler.

Presented in no particular order are the finalists for voting:

LeBron James: Cleveland Cavaliers forward. Bowled in Chris Paul charity event in 2006. Had four lanes installed in his home.

Dave Mirra: X Games star. Posted a USBC 167 average in 2005-06 while bowling in the Monday Night Handicap League in Greenville, N.C. Has posted one 600 series.

Dwight Howard: Orlando Magic forward. Bowls "every chance I get." Claims a 185 average and a high game of 244. Owns five balls, including a New York Yankees ball, a "Finding Nemo" bowling ball and three "pro" balls.

Michael Conley: Memphis Grizzlies guard. Throws strike ball right handed and spare ball lefty. (As seen on his YouTube video from Peyton Manning's charity bowling event last year.) He knows it's against the rules, but PBA star Chris Barnes defends the infraction, saying, "That rule should be changed for scratch bowlers anyway."

Vince Vaughn: Star of "The Breakup," "Wedding Crashers," "Fred Clause," and "Swingers," is a frequent kegler at Lucky Strike Lanes in Hollywood. He's been identified as the staff's favorite celebrity bowler and happens to be the only person to have his own private ball at the center named "the Matador."

John Burkett: No one can dispute the former MLB pitcher's proven credentials. No hearsay here. Burkett has been a USBC member since 1988 and has eight 300 games and three 800 series to his credit. Posted a 231 average in 2006-07, and a 2082 all-events score at the 2006 USBC Open Championships in Corpus Christi, Tex. He placed 32nd in the 2000 Brunswick Pro Source in Dallas. Burkett formed the BWI Men's Trio League in Southlake, Tex., which consists primarily of former major league ballplayers.

Chris Paul: New Orleans Hornets guard. USBC Spokesperson. High game of 256. Bowls at every opportunity. Hosts Chris Paul's Winston-Salem Weekend charity bowling event.

Tom Candiotti: The former MLB pitcher, Candiotti averaged 212 in the Scottsdale Rollers League in 2006-07. Inducted into Celebrity Wing of the Bowling Hall of Fame in 2007. Has three 700 series, and bowled his first sanctioned 300 in March 2007.

Terrell Owens: Dallas Cowboys wide receiver. Topped 15 other athletes to win ESPN Bowling Night tournament in 2005. Claims a high game of 288 and 185 average.

Danny Jackson: Former MLB pitcher. Owns a bowling center in the Kansas City area.

Nelly: The rap artist is a league bowler in St. Louis under his real name of Cornell Haynes Jr. He maintained a 206 average last season in the Florissant Men's Handicap league. Rap star Nelly is a league bowler in St. Louis under his real name of Cornell Haynes Jr.

Roy Williams: The Detroit Lions wide receiver frequently pantomimes a bowling delivery when he scores a touchdown. The Motown star is an avid bowler who likes to hit the lanes on Monday nights.

Gilbert Arenas: Washington Wizards guard. Bowled in leagues in Los Angeles as a teen. Still bowls throughout the summer months. Claims a high game of 277. Owns three balls - two 16 lb. balls and a 14 lb. translucent ball with a boxing glove in it. "When I bowl I have special bowling names. They call me Black Fever and Hurricane. My favorite nickname is People's Champ, which is why I have a bowling ball with a boxing glove inside," he says.

Jimmy Johnson: The NASCAR champion opened Victory Lanes bowling center last year.

Jerome Bettis: The former NFL running back and Super Bowl winner has a 200 average and one perfecto to his credit. A huge promoter of the sport, Bettis was inducted into the Celebrity Wing of the Bowling Hall of Fame in 2006.

Norman Chad: Syndicated Sports TV Columnist; WSOP color commentator. Watches bowling from his easy chair while wearing a wrist guard. Claims a 213 average on the Wii system.

Ken Griffey Jr.: Cincinnati Reds outfielder. Hosts annual bowling tournament for charity. Has lanes installed in his home (complete with lane machine).
http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=13883&f=1
----------------------------------
All of a sudden I have particular interest in Nelly :D.

Also the obvious aussie bowler is John Burgess.

While I think it's bull****, According to Wikipedia Kevin Rudd broke John Burgess's record of four consecutive 300 games at Enfield Bowl.

In his spare time, which is infrequent, Burgess can be found ten pin bowling. He actually held an Australian record for over 10 years, scoring four perfect games in a row at the Rooty Hill Ten Pin Centre, a feat which was bettered in 1988 by a young Kevin Rudd, who managed six.[citation needed]

From the Wikipedia on John Burgess.

I found it hilarious!!

Cow

"citation needed" [of course] well I'm sure given the degree of spin that Rudd's people produce on a daily basis that his PR people can "verify" this as fact by lunch tomorrow - he also beat Tiger Woods in the US Open a few years back as well - he won the America's Cup as skipper - and I'm sure forty years ago this month Kev was the first man to walk the moon [citation needed!].

That's about as believable as Richard Nixon's back to back 300's on the White House lanes.

At least Richard Nixon was a regular bowler. My favorite story came out of the 2006 Soccer World Cup when Italy beat Australia in very cruel circumstances. The story that was doing the rounds goes as follows:

"An Australian was arrested in relation to an assault on on Italian soccer fan. According to eyewitnesses, the Australian was approximately 20 meters away from the victim and assaulted them which resulted in a broken leg, rib and internal bleeding. The Italian soccer fan was fortunately able to recover within 10 minutes."

I wasn't aware he was a regular bowler. Makes me wonder how many other American Presidents were keen players considering they had lanes available to them when ever they felt like a game.

All those injuries from 20 meters away? Anyone know what gear he was using? 10 minutes to recover from all that.....hmmm might start eating more pasta.

I wasn't aware he was a regular bowler. Makes me wonder how many other American Presidents were keen players considering they had lanes available to them when ever they felt like a game.

All those injuries from 20 meters away? Anyone know what gear he was using? 10 minutes to recover from all that.....hmmm might start eating more pasta.

Yep Richard Nixon was a very avid bowler. You can see a history of the White House lanes here:

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor0/bowling-alley.htm

And here is video of the current lanes

http://whitehouse.c-span.org/Video/ByRoom/Bowling-Alley.aspx

That is a reference to the Italian Football player that took a dive in the World cup finals against Australia

Back
Top Bottom