Can the 2009 SA Cup be a Success?

Tiger Bottomley

"Lord of the jungle"
I would like to premise this thread by saying that I honestly believe that AMF on the whole are doing a good job and try extremely hard to run successful events.

They cut game rates where possible and add additional money to events where numbers are lacking.

That said an area of concern, for me anyway is pre organisation of the events. As far as I am aware there is still no entry form for the SA Cup and Women's Adelaide event at the end of January.

With airfares the way they are you really need to book a few months ahead to secure an airfare at a reasonable price. I was watching fares for Adelaide which 6 weeks ago were around $270 return and now they are more than $450 return.

The succes of the K&K up here is partly built on the administrators getting the event out early and giving people many months to find a good fare. We already know they will be chasing deposits (quite rightly) and the event is 5 months away.

There are currently good priced fares for Perth but without a form to know its definately going ahead you can't book.

I know that Brett Best has been responsible in the past for the running of the Super 6 events but he has his own centre to run which must be extremely time consuming so I dont feel that he should be responsible for everything.

Surely within the AMF organisation they could organise for the entry forms to be out months in advance to allow people the time to book good flights, accom etc.

It's the old spiral of nobody is bowling tounaments but you cant if it's too expensive to get there because it takes to long for the organisers to get the forms out.

Please understand, this is not meant to be a gripe and moan session but something needs to be done, and it can only be done by AMF to afford the bowlers that want to support the events, every assistance and encouragement to do so.

My solution would be firstly that AMF have some internal policy of not only when the event will run but also when the entry forms will be released, I believe a minimum of 3 months before the bowl date is required and rather than leaving everything up to Brett that the responsible Centre Manager should play an active role in ensuring that the forms are completed and available early. After all if the event is a huge success then they benefit through centre income etc.

Great post! That is probably true about them trying to their best, but i am positive there could be more done.

I was asking questions myself a couple of months ago about Womens Adelaide Cup and got no answers. I wont be bowling in the womens division purely due to lack of interest and motivation. I cant comment on if other women decide to bowl, but unless its a only a few hours drive away for them, i doubt interstate bowlers will want to spend that sort of money at such short notice. This weekends tournament at Berri had at least 8 weeks notice i believe.

So something needs to be done about the organisation for future National Tournaments - maybe the organisers of the K & K would like to become National Tournament Directors and sort out Australias tournament scene ;)

I hope SA Cup, mens & womens divisions, do get a positive response with entries.

Cheers
Martina

Back
Top Bottom