Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns!

Should we have Bronze, Silver and GOLD patterns for 300 Games!

• YES I DO LIKE THE IDEA

Votes: 83 52.2%
  • NO I DONT LIKE THE IDEA

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • YES/NO. Some parts i like, some parts i dont!

Votes: 45 28.3%

• Total voters
Hello All,

We have three major problems to deal with, Balls, Friction and Gravity.
(The other problems are kickbacks, flat gutters, pindecks and pins.) These would require a separate discussion on their own!

Modern ball construction methods have created more 'hook' through the
use of 'particle' cover stock and high differential cores. These balls tend to greatly magnify any action imparted by the player at the time of release.This becomes a big problem when
players are faced with conditions other than 'THS'. Lower ratio patterns have less margin for error and require a very consistent release. Most bowlers never achieve this because the equipment and 'THS' compensate for their errors and have removed the need to practice to achieve scores of 200 or more.

We cannot 'fix' the ball problem...... the horse has bolted, so to speak. The USBC sets the rules regarding cover stock, Rg etc. and because of the size of the US market we are stuck
with the USBC regulations. There is some merit in the suggestions made in some other threads, 'one ball' tournaments etc. But the value of these ideas can only be realized by fixing the other two main problems.

Friction is, simply, dictated by the application of lane conditioner. Once upon a time, condtioner was applied to a lane to protect the lane surface. Through the combination of high ratio patterns, modern balls and synthetic lanes this is now only partially true. I have seen lanes where the 'top hat' has been burnt into the surface through the application of a high ratio pattern and the use of 'particle' balls. The abrasive surface of the balls has polished the lane surface outside of the heavy application of conditioner in the centre of the lane.
The prevalence of 'THS' has come about because of two things. The biggest reason is the proprietor of the centre wanting to attract or retain bowlers by making the lanes 'easy'. The second reason is that high ratio patterns can partially compensate for some topography issue.(The second usually comes about by accident rather than design.) The reverse is also true, I have seen first hand the problems created when you apply a WTBA pattern to bad topography.

Lower ratio patterns will result in lower scores. But how much lower?
A centre that I have worked closely with for the last year has a house shot with a ratio of about 6:1. Bowlers at this centre have bowled 5 or more 300's this year and at a recent event I watched a local bowler averaged 240+ over 10 games. High ratio patterns can also discourage newer bowlers as shooting for spares on these patterns becomes more difficult and their ball reacts in ways that defy common sense. (We are talking about 'plastic' balls here).

Which bring us to out third problem.... Gravity. On a fairly flat lane surface
gravity has very little effect on a rolling ball. Today's lanes are far from flat
and because synthetic lanes have been sold to proprietors as a '30 year product' the amount of maintenance being done to keep lanes flat has been decreasing. I said before that 'THS' can partially compensate for bad topography, but only partially. Research has shown that gravity has the biggest influence on a rolling ball when the surface that it is rolling on is not flat.

The fact that two out of these three are invisible to the player makes the problems even worse. On some combinations of pattern & topography the ball will react in ways that don't seem to make sense.

Please read some of the articles written by Ted Thompson at http://www.kegel.net/library/foarticles.asp?ikodyazar=10
He explains all this far better than I can.

How do we deal with all this? Bad topography needs to be fixed, but how?
If we just tell the proprietors to fix it and bring in some really tight regulations
to police it the costs to proprietors would be prohibitive. What we need to do first is determine the extent of the problem in each centre. This can be done for a modest cost per centre. Then we have a chance to implement new regulations and checking procedures that will allow things to be fixed without breaking the bank.

Once we are on this path we can sensibly look at 'grading' lane patterns as we will now be able to compare lane patterns and not topography. Information on topography and oil patterns should be openly available to everyone. This will help to make these factors more 'visible' to the player.

How do we ensure that the displayed patterns are what is actually applied to a lane? The best method is inspection. Any surface, equipment or apparatus used for competitive sport is subject to random inspection. The amount and depth of inspection depends on the level of competition. How often lanes are inspected and by who (and who pays for the inspection) would be a topic in itself. I have read the posts regarding sanction fees and I could make some educated guesses to what a national topography and pattern inspection schedule would add to those fees (and the reaction) if the costs were covered solely by the TBA.

Sorry for the length of the post, but this is a complex issue and I have only brushed the surface.

Hi All,

I think a good starting point would be to have defined patterns for different competition types, and then the 300 can be placed into categories.

For example:

All sanctioned scratch tournaments must be bowled on a sport styled pattern, Ratio of 3:1 and lower.

All sanctioned scratch leagues must be bowled on a minimum challenge styled pattern, Ratio of 4.9:1 to 3.1:1 (this does not rule out bowling on a sport pattern if requested by bowlers in league).

Any sanctioned handicapped league can bowl on any pattern.

300’s can be categorised as

• 300 Sanctioned Tournament

• 300 Sanctioned Scratch league

• 300 Sanctioned Handicapped league

This will also create more honour in achieving scratch & tournament 300’s

It is no good saying you have to bowl on a condition that has been downloaded from the internet, and this will make your game better.
Please learn to understand that most patterns posted on the website are drop brush oriented and most of the Kegel machines in Australia are roller transfer machines. If youdon`t understand what i`m talking about, well learn more about lane conditioning, and then see if you can advertise a pattern, and actually produce that pattern to play on. Best of luck.
Regards
Animal.

Brenton,
Just saw your post on bleeders. The GTB (Brunswick), If you can remember we called it "Good Try Brunswick" at the time, was also considered to be one of them, although not as successful.

Animal,

I’m not sure if you are replying to my post or not, but just in case it is viewed like that, as it is directly after my post, I will like to clarify.

My post is not to say to download a pattern from the internet to make a game better many centres still use older machines like “Summits or Phoenix’s” even new machines like “Crossfire’s” run on the same simple wick technology, yes you can get a copy of a program but its not a internet download then upload into your lane machine.

I don’t know where you get your information on most Kegel machines are roller transfer. This will be the case if you are referring to wick machines, but with sanction machines most are brush, only the early ones are roller, all sanctioned roller machines can be upgraded to brush.

Dropbrush, this in most cases is just a firmware upgrade, some walkers require a wire snip, and early sanction machines require a wire upgrade, nothing to dramatic.
Dropbrush has nothing to do with ratios, there are still Kegel sanction patterns that don’t require dropbrush.

Now having pattern ratios, this can be done even with wick machines. The ratio is set with the amount of oil on the outside of the pattern in relevance to the inside of the pattern at a certain point(s) on the lane. Several years ago TBA introduced ratios of 3:1 for ranked tournaments, back then basically almost all machines around were wick machines, techs had to go out and analyse lanes, then enter oil units across the boards into a excel spreadsheet to calculate the ratio. (This was done as there were no patterns to download), patterns were not tested to see what they were like, and it was trial & error. New sanction machines & the ability to download patterns now take out a lot of guess work.

Here is a link from Kegel explaining the ratios
http://www.kegel.net/patternlibrary/kegel-navigation-patterns.htm
But this does not stop centres using wick machines, or any other non Kegel sanctioned machine runing patterns with said ratios. Even Brunswick’s Authority22 can run programs with these ratio brackets, just not sure if their program used to create these patterns will give you the ratio figures.

Not having a dig at your post, just where I came in. There are not many drop brush transfers in the kegel machinesin australia as most are roller transfer kegels. Yes the brush roller transfer adaption is available for these machines, but most haven`t been upgraded. The drop brush machine and the roller transfer machine can put down the same pattern, but they will play totally different.
Regards
Animal.
P.S. I know this from experimentation with a Kegel Sanction Machine.

The centre I bowl in when I started back had timber lanes and probably run a 10:1 pattern with not a lot outside of 10 board... Synthetic lanes were laid and the same pattern was laid and scores were high. The pattern was then changed to a 7:1 ratio with oil going out to about 7 board. Although initially scores wern't as high, It didn't take long for the high scores to have come back. From when I started I think there has been more 300's bowled on the lower ratio pattern then there was on the higher ratio pattern. As for the GSB patterns for 300 games... It's not a bad idea. People are still getting the recognition of bowling a milestone score. To me it doesn't say that a 300 on gold is better than a 300 on bronze, it's saying it was done on a harder condition.

Hi All,

Most AMF owned Kegel Sanction machines are transfer brush. Most others are transfer roller. 'Down the Road' is right most transfer brush machines can be upgraded with new firmware.... but only a few are getting done.

Animal is correct in saying that any pattern needs to be adjusted to suit a centre, more volume, more length, conversion from brush to roller or vice-versa. Even altering the load structure and machine speeds to increase/decrease taper needs to be looked at.

Mickyd213, your memory would be right. The 7:1 pattern would have allowed more players to use their natural style and line leading to a more relaxed and accurate shot.

Back
Top Bottom