Bowling is not a Team sport

In nearly every sport history shows the teams with the best players in it generally win more then they lose

You obviously aren't a Dragons supporter then!! :rolleyes: ;) <- That's coming from a Dragon supporter! :'(

Dragons are generally always better on paper than any other team yet no premiership since 1979. :surrender:

I fully agree with Cow's comments on this topic though. Honestly, one of the best posts I've read for a while.

I couldn't disagree more.

If there isn't a team bowler, then there isn't a team Football player, or a team League player, or a team Cricket player. The best bowling teams have bowlers who understand one thing. My adjustment, which may lead to split, may well lead to a turkey for my teammates. Sacrifice my 10 pins, to gain 50 for the team. A team bowler is someone who, when they get pulled out of a team realizes that their job isn't over, it has simply changed. A team bowler will throw a shot on the gutter to see if there is something out there, or make a giant step left for the same reason, understanding that whether they washout or strike the TEAM has gained from it. A team bowler understand that each shot of their 5 man team game makes up at most 2% of the TEAMS game. And that their 2% isn't as important as the TEAMS 100%. Bowlers want to score well in bowling because it's the aim of the game, for the same reason Cricketer Bowlers never want to stop bowling, that's their job. The difference between a good team bowler and a bad one, is the good ones never stop for the team. Throwing balls or not, in Rachuig for example, you can only ever throw 20% of your teams balls, so what you do to help with the other 80% is invaluably more important. And for most people, the number is higher then 80%.

There is selfishness in every game, but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a team player in every game.

Cow

See the selfishness is there just a little which was my point, i could imagine showing that too much around your coach at WSU would earn you a long trip to the pine!! :p Make good shots, save your energy and talk over with your team and coach what the lane is doing, to me thats the team concept in action. The selfishness has its limits and that limit is pretty low, just the few seconds you're on the approach not the rest of the time

No Adrian, you said there is no such thing as a team bowler. That is not true, for my reasons stated above.

Allow me to clarify my final sentence. The statement I'd saying that if don't include bowling ad a team sport then no sport is a team sport. Every sport has selfishness an many sports are completely team sports. Bowling, when in abyeam format, is without a team sport. The team that miss that often miss the podium too.
Cow

No Adrian, you said there is no such thing as a team bowler. That is not true, for my reasons stated above.

Allow me to clarify my final sentence. The statement I'd saying that if don't include bowling ad a team sport then no sport is a team sport. Every sport has selfishness an many sports are completely team sports. Bowling, when in abyeam format, is without a team sport. The team that miss that often miss the podium too.
Cow

Wow, I wrote this on my iTouch. Let me fix it up so it makes sense.

The sentence is saying that if you don't include bowling as a team sport then no sport is a team sport. Every sport has selfishness and many sports are completely team orientated sports. Bowling, when in a team format, is without a doubt, a team sport. The team misses that often miss the podium too.

Cow

Hmmmm I have seen some dumb , dumb posts on this site but this one takes the cake.
Are you kidding, of course Team bowling is a Team sport, thats why it is called 5 man teams.
AND many , many times has been shown to happen when a champion team will and has beaten a team full of champions

Individuals will still win things like Brownlow's. But do you think Ablett jnr. would have 2 premierships to go with his Brownlow playing for the D's?

Yes it is a team sport but especially the way things with this sport are in this country (especially in Victoria) it doesn't matter who is better or worse than who because it's the person that has the most luck and carries better because it's no real challenge to hit the pocket these days. Getting back to the point at hand, the team aspect has a huge influence on the team bowling aspect of our game. You could get 5 bowlers out of the top 10 in the country and the find 5 friends out of the rest of the top 20 and the 5 friends will more than likely win because friends will listen to each other where 5 egos won't.

Back
Top Bottom