Bowlers wanted for Good Friday Appeal

Hi Chris

Great effort. Nice to see people getting behind you and the Good Friday Appeal. Fantastic effort. It certainly is a wonderful cause.

I am involved with a hotel that has been raising funds since 1973 for the Good Friday Appeal. We run a number of events throughout the year as well as hold a Family Fun Day at the hotel each year on Good Friday. This year our total was $84,280.78.

Until two years ago the hotels used to be mentioned on Channel 7 at about 11.30pm with the top hotels around the state getting a mention as to how much they raised. This does not seem to happen any more, so don't expect to get a mention on Channel 7. They seem to be more focused on promoting their celebrities.

Still, at the end of the day all the money raised is going to help the sick kids of Victoria and beyond.

If you are looking at repeating the effort next year (and I hope you do) then I would encourage you to explore as many avenues as possible at promoting the event. Obviously, forums such as Total Bowling are great. Local newspapers and radio stations are usually very helpful. We have a website, and this year we started a facebook page to spread the message. Our website is www.rehcorkclub.org.au and our facebook page is Reh Corkclub if you are interested.

Once again, well done.:smiley.php:

Roy Arnold

Chris shot about 400 and something over for the 51 games bowling his highest game(s) near the end with a 261 in the last game. He shot around 320 odd strikes all up.

Hey Jeanette you could put up half the money for a 300 due to my one in game two of the three games I bowled next to Chris in the evening as technically one was bowled during the marathon for the appeal.

Again a big congrats to Chris on his fine effort especially the high quality last couple of games under extreme duress from his badly marked up fingers and thumb.

Hi Everyone,

Ok... I have recovered a bit from my 51 games marathon, but I've never experienced aches and pains like I did on Saturday morning! I definitely know which muscles are most used within my bowling style now, that's for sure :p

Here are the stats:
51 games (which raised $2321, but not sure what Steve raised from the days lineage yet)
Average: 208.69 (with a left handed 115 thrown in the middle of that)
High game: 261 (last game surprisingly)
321 total strikes (Jeanette you can verify that) which was an average of 6.29 strikes per game (with 0 strikes on the left handed 115 game)
My resting heart rate is 80, but during the games my HR ranged from 119-139 beats per minute (BPM) with an average of 127.94 (thus the myth that you don't get some cardiovascular fitness benefit from bowling may be incorrect). I wasn't bowling very fast either, so I'm sure that if you bowled on your own for an hour continuously, your HR would probably exceed 140 BPM and provide even more of a cardio workout.
Muscles that were extremely sore on Saturday morning (the day after the 51 games) were my bowling arm and forearm, lower back muscles, and slide leg quadricep and glut (buttocks). I also ripped the skin of my bowling thumb in 2 places and my bowling fingers in 3 places (thanks to Steve Toth for loaning me some thumb tape, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do as well as I did).

Roy thanks for the note about your fundraising efforts. I'm considering doing it again next year, but I might do it a bit differently if I decide that it is a go... It was fun and definitely worth the effort.

chris

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their donation to this worthy cause. Also, want to thank Andrew Tonkin and Absolute Bowling Supplies for his donation, which brings the total up to about $2400.

Just a friendly reminder to those people that said they'd donate, to get your payment in soon!

thanks so much
chris

Back
Top Bottom