Blanket Sanctioning of all centres

Mac Attack

Norm Duke
I don't know whether this has been mentioned before, and pardon my ignorance if it has, however:

Why don't we just have the bowling centres pay a set fee (however calculated) to the TBA? after all, they are the ones most benefiting from lineage ($ca-$ching!).

Just speaking for myself, I know that my $7,000 of expenses each year goes mostly to AMF, 3 leagues, wife, 4 kids, tournaments, equipment etc. - could the centres perhaps spend the $27.50 a year to pay for my registration? Why in the ....... do I need to waste my time each year? I'm not registered yet this year, no-one has asked me, (even in tournaments!).

Has anyone thought of this or am I just barking up the wrong tree here?

Mac Attack

Bowling centres already pay per lane to be a registered centre (about $21 per lane I think).
It's not feasible for centres to pay for every league bowler's registration.

Why pay TBA at all.
What do you get (except deathly silence from the Board)
Why not just join MTBA or CTBAM at least you will be looked after with awards (FREE) and friendly committee personal who go out of their way to keep the league bowlers happy. (if there is such a creature still around):rolleyes:

Why should a center pay your rego ???????????

You pay $7000 a year I am sure $27 extra over a year (I am sure the .52 cents a week will not hurt you)

I am also not sure how a center is going to Just pay for your rego because you spend a lot of money in their center. So should that center also pay the rego for the ave bowler that only bowls once a week in a 2 game league ?

I am not in any way a fan of the tba but it is funny how many people that love this sport carry on about paying $27 A YEAR sounds a bit silly when you really think about it !!

Can someone please tell me if you have to be TBA santioned to bowl AO. Cheers.

Sure do. To bowl in any TBA sanctioned league or tournament (ranked or not) you do need to be a registered TBA bowler to participate. If you do manage to bowl (ie no-one checks your registration) you are ineligible for any awards or prize monies as it is a condition of entry to the event.

I went to my local Service Station last night and told them that I buy about $60 of petrol each week (plus milk. bread and newspaper) so they should pay my car registration. I also told them I want better conditions at the servo, like cleaner drive ways, not putting up petrol prices, lane service would be nice too, as it is cold in winter.

They said no.

I went to my local Service Station last night and told them that I buy about $60 of petrol each week (plus milk. bread and newspaper) so they should pay my car registration. I also told them I want better conditions at the servo, like cleaner drive ways, not putting up petrol prices, lane service would be nice too, as it is cold in winter.

They said no.
That's Gold Edi :D

They said no.
LOL COULD NOT OF SAID IT BETTER MY SELF LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Why should a center pay your rego ???????????

You pay $7000 a year I am sure $27 extra over a year (I am sure the .52 cents a week will not hurt you)

I am also not sure how a center is going to Just pay for your rego because you spend a lot of money in their center. So should that center also pay the rego for the ave bowler that only bowls once a week in a 2 game league ?

I am not in any way a fan of the tba but it is funny how many people that love this sport carry on about paying $27 A YEAR sounds a bit silly when you really think about it !!

You didn't get the meaning of my post did you!!!

I would happily pay anything to the TBA, but my post stated that it would be better for the bowlers if the centres were "blanket sanctioned" - in other words, all league bowlers would automatically become TBA members. I can rock up to any TBA tournament and say that I'm a league bowler at Sunshine State Bowl, and that's ok, they are sanctioned with TBA - saving time and effort having to register each year.

Obviously the money is chicken feed and will be paid without question, and don't get me wrong, but I am a fan of the TBA.

You didn't get the meaning of my post did you!!!

I would happily pay anything to the TBA, but my post stated that it would be better for the bowlers if the centres were "blanket sanctioned" - in other words, all league bowlers would automatically become TBA members. I can rock up to any TBA tournament and say that I'm a league bowler at Sunshine State Bowl, and that's ok, they are sanctioned with TBA - saving time and effort having to register each year.

Obviously the money is chicken feed and will be paid without question, and don't get me wrong, but I am a fan of the TBA.

Where your premise falls over is that you make the assumption that all centres want to have something to do with the TBA. The fact is they do not! In fact if most centres had there way they probably wouldn't have any form of outside organisation involved in the league or organised competition that goes on in their premises.

AMF look at associations like the MTBA and CTBAM as value added to their business (i.e they take care of things they do not want to be directly involved in such as awards which can encourage participation and more importantly conserve staff resources) now you can see where the problem lies. That is the TBA provide nothing that actually adds value to the AMF business as they do not directly correspond with individual bowlers within their centres unlike the above mentioned associations but expect a bowling centre to pay them an amount per lane to cover such individuals league participation.

We live in a realistic not an ideal world and while TBA maintains the indifferent attitude they currently project to the general bowling population then I suggest that the general population and most centres will not easily change their current indifference towards the TBA.

As to the money being chicken feed you put that forward to any business especially in this economic client and I'm assuming the answer is not going to be a pleasant one (i.e don't have your kids within earshot).

FYI: As a member of my state training squad I paid $55.00 for a Silver Membership as I expect most of the TBA Ranked participants will have done. To do so I went to a Centre I didn't bowl at at the time where a TBA league operated to pay this up. I now also bowl in that league in order to satisfy Training Squad criteria which I question because why does an elite bowler need to bowl in a league but that is another story.

My long term league stayed with the CTBAM so I payed $15.00 to sanction to be eligible to bowl in my league. I will also pay $15.00 for an MTBAM santion card as I require it to participate in the East Coast Challenge Cup.

Thus all up I will pay $85.00 for registration / sanction fees. Now if TBA had have listened to suggestions earlier made by not only myself but a number of people earlier in the year or late last year then I suggest most bowlers would still be TBA registered and $15.00 would have been retained by associations and an amount could have been collected for the TBA rather than the farce they have created for me this year.

One of the problems I see is that TBA had any direct contact with Leagues and their Committee's. Therefore most bowlers have no idea what is happening & to be truthful dont really give a continental. Most bowler gladly pay " A FEE ", however there has to be some communication from the Board at TBA to the average bowler bowling once or how ever many times in different centres what these fees are for and a break up of where all these Dollars are going.

Previously most of the dollars went for interstate and/or overseas travell and booze and was never shown in the financials at any of the AGM's.

One can see why so many bowlers dont Trust TBA or what they stand for.

Having said that, we still need a National Body and we need a common goal and until the Board at TBA communicate with all sections (CTBAM / MTBA and ALL Leagues thru-out Australia)the industry will never be a united front.
And yes it takes two to Tango but at least these smaller associations are trying to service and keep the leagues involved with some very good results in Membership.

Terry I don't know that you can speak for 'most centres' nor for AMF. I know otherwise. I don't know if you understand how important centres regard a NSO to the sport.
I don't live in the past, I live for the future. Our league bowlers have never met anyone from the TBA but in all the years they paid reg with MTBA they never popped in nor helped when asked. That again was in the past. There is room for everyone though. The NSO will further our sport nationally and local associations could cater to their local community of bowlers.
Joe you are right and I understand where everyones fears come from but so much has been achieved in such a short space of time.
Dozza :flower:

I here where you are coming from Edi and your right I can't speak directly for centres but in a general sense most businesses do not allow outside organisations to operate from their premises when they provide no real measurable returns to that business.

I too do not live in the past and look to the future but to me the future is bleak indeed for competitive bowling in this country.

I say that as most sports or sporting organisations learn from their past indescretions and then produce a better way to move forward. I don't see that happening with the TBA and that is exactly where the problem lies. How can anyone seriously accept the current TBA setup as anything but totally inconceived and not properly thought out. If a business put forward a funding setup and then failed to have the key avenue to acquire those funds available as the TBA have done then they would simply fail to be in business. Why should we placate the TBA for a similar failure? Just to have an NSO? I seriously question that premise!

Yes we need to have an NSO but we need a well informed and competent one that is demonstrated in the programs they implement and the decisions they make. Once this happens then at least we can get our sport moving in the right direction again. In any business structure, availability and communication are key elements for success and the model the TBA currently is operating under fails to get a tick on any of those three at present.

My league had a problem with a rule definition that could not be sorted out within their league. The secretary Emailed TBA asking for a Rule clarification on Wednesday night (well after 8 pm). She got an answer before lunchtime yesterday from TBA National Rules Chairman so could inform the affected bowler and team within 24 hours. Not too shabby service at all from TBA.

Our TBA state manager attends our AGM for our centre association and is readily availalble. As a Centre secretary I am getting help from TBA National Body with queries I have but understand there are quite a few teething problems with the new membership program and website combined with the office move things are a bit slower than usual but they seem to be trying and at least acknowledging my queries and answering as much as possible.

My league had a problem with a rule definition that could not be sorted out within their league. The secretary Emailed TBA asking for a Rule clarification on Wednesday night (well after 8 pm). She got an answer before lunchtime yesterday from TBA National Rules Chairman so could inform the affected bowler and team within 24 hours. Not too shabby service at all from TBA.

Our TBA state manager attends our AGM for our centre association and is readily availalble. As a Centre secretary I am getting help from TBA National Body with queries I have but understand there are quite a few teething problems with the new membership program and website combined with the office move things are a bit slower than usual but they seem to be trying and at least acknowledging my queries and answering as much as possible.

Good to see and let's hope that the teething problems are smoothed out quickly so all of us can feel like there is some substance behind the letters TBA when associated with bowling.

Sorry all, I've had the entire organisation tied up with my issues, they probably haven't had time for anyone else :p

No seriously, the national body have been pretty responsive to the issues I've brought up lately.

Back
Top Bottom