Other Big Kahuna

I have been waiting for the Lane Masters/Legends bowling balls to hit Australian shores for a while now and with some of the interest being generated I am sure within the next few years they will be a force in Australia. As a bowler who has an arsenal of them, I thought I would give a quick overview of my favourite ball, as well as a bit about the brand. (gold coach and one of the ball designers) and have had all my layouts recommended to me by the Legends team to ensure that I get the most out of each ball for my style of bowling So in terms of assistance and quality of support they offer to bowlers, they are second to none!.

Buying a Lane Masters/Legends ball is like no other, firstly they all come with Ball Polish, Ball Cleaner, Buff bag, Ball Holder, Abrasive pads to
rough the ball and a DVD explaining how each ball is made, as well as explaining some very useful information about ball layouts, coverstocks
and core design. The other main difference is that Lane Masters/Legends bowling balls are only 2 piece bowling balls (core and coverstock) compared
to the more conventional 3 piece bowling balls. Each ball is also custom made and has a unique chemistry component designed to reduce the amount of
oil the is soaked up, so the ball will bowl the same after 2 games or 200 games.

The Big Kahuna:

The Big Kahuna has a diamond particle coverstock with a medium particle load and a sheen factory finish. The ball is best suited to a medium condition, however I have shot extremely well on heavy and dry patterns with this ball, in fact I don't think I have managed to get this ball to roll out on me yet. I had the ball drilled for me in a layout similar to a label leverage however I had the pin placed slightly higher to get a later snap.

The ball clears the head easily and begins to rev mid lane and you really notice the control and power of the ball when it hits the back end and snaps into the pocket. I can honestly say that I don't worry about 10 pins when I bowl with this ball, as I have never had so much pin action. In fact, I would say worth an extra 1-2 strikes a game. I have found with this ball though, that it will only create maximum carry when bowling an open shot.

The ball also allows for error, holding the line if I drag it inside or coming back even stronger if I throw it out wide.

Overall, I think this ball is the most underrated ball released by the Legends team and a ball you can't go wrong with.

I should hopefully have the new Dry Lane ball called the Buzz (being released in June) from Legends within the next 2 weeks, which should suit Queensland conditions quite well, so I will post a review on this ball when I get it.

I agree with you that the Legends brand is a very good product, but, I do believe you purchased that ball through our Proshop James!
Our Legends gear arrives straight from the Lane Masters manufacturing plant as well.
And I compliment Lane Masters on making Ball Drilling layouts very easy to comprehend for tyhe average bowler to understand what they require for a complete arsenal.

Best regards,
Gavin

Gavin,

I'm not interested in getting into a argument over where I got my gear, I have nothing to hide and I don't think it is good for anyone. You are correct that I did buy that ball through you and had it drilled at Ipswich, where I have got the rest of my gear through. And really, the more competition that is in the market can only make things better for the bowlers (but this is not the thread for it). As I said, I was just lucky to get access to the Legends team and I think it shows how committed they are to the Australian market and bowling in general that they provided full access to their team of staff members to help me get the best out of their bowling ball range, which are great bowling balls and I thank them for that. Enough said about that and back to the ball review, as the Big Kahuna is a great ball.

James

James, how did you drill this ball????
I was at Ipswich the other Day and didnt see and Legends gear in the Pro Shop, so Has Dino still got some, or is it out of the boot sale, cash only???

Corby

I've waited 2 days and I was almost not going to post but............ mate, can you explain this comment

The ball also allows for error, holding the line if I drag it inside or coming back even stronger if I throw it out wide.

Do you think it is the ball or the lane conditions you are bowling on that allows for error? If this ball can ALLOW for error, you should go bowl USA open or maybe an International event where the lanes are brutal.

I can tell you first hand that I've bowled Internationally alot and I've seen the ball you reviewed bowled by some of the best in the World (Tomas Leanderson and Martin Larson). It wasn't very forgiving in Singapore at last years Super Classic, perhaps they drilled it wrong?

All I'm saying is that more 'proof' reading is needed before you hit the 'POST' button.

Cheers

Fair enough George,

I am happy to accept that point and advice, as it is fair and valid, as lane conditions do effect the way a ball reacts. That comment relates to the pattern that I am bowling on, as you pointed out. and that is what the ball does for me on that particular house pattern. I was just trying to give my opinion/review on a ball that I have, using that particular pattern as an example.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to do a double check before I do another ball review.

Corby said:
The ball clears the head easily and begins to rev mid lane and you really notice the control and power of the ball when it hits the back end and snaps into the pocket. I can honestly say that I don't worry about 10 pins when I bowl with this ball, as I have never had so much pin action.
Corby said:
Just wondering James after the Twin Tour on the Weekend, how did this ball go. If you never had to worry about 10 pins i cant imagine what you shot over there.

Corby, come on up to Aspley and see if you can bypass 10 pins at the moment. Would be a good test and would like to watch you.

Feral

James was merely making a statement about how he found the ball for him on a given shot. He posted his opinion, and some of it wasn't quite "technically" perfect in the way he put it across. We are all very aware that no ball will elimate all corner pins or back row leaves, nor will it necessarily give "area" on a condition. A lane condition allows area, as do bowlers bowling in a certain area on the lane in tandem.

Let it go..

I'm sure it is a good ball, and I hope you shoot some big scores with it James. I hope you have much success with Legends/Lanemasters gear.

Easy Tiger said:
James was merely making a statement about how he found the ball for him on a given shot. He posted his opinion, and some of it wasn't quite "technically" perfect in the way he put it across. We are all very aware that no ball will elimate all corner pins or back row leaves, nor will it necessarily give "area" on a condition. A lane condition allows area, as do bowlers bowling in a certain area on the lane in tandem.
Let it go..
I'm sure it is a good ball, and I hope you shoot some big scores with it James. I hope you have much success with Legends/Lanemasters gear.

I didnt think i addressed anything to you Tim, but here you are answering for James, I was asking James how it went not you, One of my friends is thinking of getting into the Lane masters gear, and I wanted to know how it went, because he 2 avgs around 190. So thanks Tim for butting in again where it wasnt your opinion I was after.

Steve,

I was not seeking to butt in on this, rather James has received a bit of a pounding on this review. All he did was present his opinion of the ball, and your comments following the twin tour could well be seen as another one of those, suggesting that if he did not have a problem at all with corner pins with this ball that he should have averaged fairly well on the weekend (I'm guessing corner pins were a problem for you at Ipswich Steve?).

And Steve, can you please point out where I originally addressed my post at you either, or anything you said? That's just an assumption you made. Can you also point out where I have previously "butted in" on your topics or conversations Steve? I too am interested in Lanemasters gear, hence why I read the topic at all. Perhaps I go about getting the desired information in a different way to you.

Cheers for now.

No biggie Tim, just thought you could of given James time to answer before answering for him. Because it was addressed to him, not you.

Many Thanks Hamer

Steve,

My response, quote: "Ever just heard of a bad day at the office....Enough said on that topic i think!"

James

Corby said:
Steve,
My response, quote: "Ever just heard of a bad day at the office....Enough said on that topic i think!"
James

Yeah, James we all have those. Knk comeing up, id be glad to see how these balls work there.

Back
Top Bottom