Belmonte in new york

krusty

You would think there would be some sort of media release. When is someone going to promote our sport?????????????????????

Francis Albert Sinatra sang it best. “Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today. I want to be a part of it, New York, New York.”

We are on the road with Jason Belmonte on the day before he would bowl for his first PBA Tour title at the Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic. It all started with the front page of the Wall Street Journal on Feb. 5. Since then, Los Angeles Times, Denver Post, Boston Globe, ESPN.com, ESPN The Magazine, ESPN E-60, Good Morning America and the Today show want to meet the 25-year old Australian World Bowler of the Year who tosses the rock with two hands.

“These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray. Right through the very heart of it - New York, New York.”

On this Saturday we are headed to Fox Plaza where Jason Belmonte will bowl outdoors on Fox and Friends, the top-rated cable morning show on Fox News Network. Driving into the Big Apple is always a thrill, but to pull up to Fox Plaza right down the street from Times Square and Radio City Music Hall to find a bowling lane was fun. A few curious onlookers started to gather.

“I wanna wake up in a city, that doesn’t sleep. And find I’m king of the hill - top of the heap.”

Bowling on Friday evening late on Long Island, then an early wake-up call for the drive into Manhattan. The lane was setup the day before, it’s not as level as we would like. It rained the night before and everything is still damp at 7 a.m. – like a good bowler, we must adjust – the show must go on.

“These little town blues, are melting away. I’ll make a brand new start of it - in old New York.”

The first live shot on Fox & Friends, the cue from the stage manager, Belmonte steps up and lets the first two-handed delivery of the day fly. Left, no right, now center, curiously enough, a Brooklyn-hit, strike! People in the street applaud and the union camera operators and producer are all smiles. Belmonte looks up into the Manhattan mist and pumps a fist skyward.

Next break, the Sun peaks out, a New York Post photographer stands on a concrete step trying to get a photo; the hosts of Fox & Friends come out to greet Jason Belmonte. One quick lesson from the affable Aussie and our host finds the pocket for a strike. Governor Mike Huckabee comes outside to meet Belmonte, he wants to throw a shot. Bowling has that way to make anyone smile.

After the Fox and Friends appearance, PBA’s front-running candidate for Player of the Year, Wes Malott joins the fun for a photo shoot on the lane and just up the block in Times Square. The PBA Tour is gaining momentum and making new friends.

“If I can make it there, I’ll make it anywhere. It’s up to you - New York, New York.”

Click here to see the video highlights of the day in New York City
YouTube - Jason Belmonte takes Manhattan (found the interview)

Back
Top Bottom