Ball spinner for polishing!

B

beniblack

Hi all, I am currently building a "Ball spinner" for myself to adjust the surface on my ball, whilst researching and collecting all the components i wondered to myself. Hmmm, i wonder if anyone else would be interested in thier own ball spinner.. So that's what this Topic is about, i am seriously thinking of manufacturing ball spinners, and selling them around Australia and was wondering if i was to start building these machines, would any one buy them????? so if you might be interested please post a reply to this topic, and let me know??? Just getting an idea of numbers ATM. I am a fitter & turner with workshop- so all spinners will be quality solid items. :)

Cheers..
Benni

depends if "The Price Is Right"

Hi

its not that hard to make a ball spinner is it?

1- making the ball cup/holder.
visit your local 2 dollar shop and buy a 2 dollar saucepan... cut off the handle.

2 - buy a drill press from bunnings. a 1/2 hp 5 speed drill press will cost you about 70 buks. drill a hole in the middle of the saucepan.

remove the stand from the drill press and flip it upside down. now you have a spinner.

3 - to make a ball spinner u must connect the ball cup/holder (saucepan) to the drill press (spinner) thus making a saucepan.

to achive this buy a long bolt (about 10 cm long) and a diameter of about 10-12 mm.
this should cost you about 1 buck
cut the head off the bolt (not the thread) and stick it into the drill press... tighten it.
now put a bolt onto the thread, and a washer ontop of that. now place the ball cup (saucepan) onto it and another bolt.... tighten it and you have yourself a ball spinner that costs you probably 80 buks at most and takes about 20 minutes to build...

the good thing about this makeshift ball spinner is that u have 5 speeds to choose from.. 500 rpm, 800rpm, 1200 rpm 1750rpm and 2500rpm. (but you will only ever use 500rpm for sanding and 800 rpm for polishing) although spinning a ball at 2500 rpm might be a good way to remove oil from the ball???? maybe?

now if you can make a ball spinner for about 100 buks, or about 120 buks including shipping then i will definitely buy one... but if your charging 700 buks like those crazy manufacturers in the US then im gonna pass... ill just stick with my upside-down drill press / ball spinner.
lol

regards
Sam

K Nice, thanks for the Bunnings drillpress idea, you just saved me $50 for the new 1/2 HP motor i was going to use.. But i think i will otherwise i will stick to the design i have in mind for myself.. the design i have in mind is similar to the mas produced ready made jobs you can buy but only stronger, with 3speeds, checkerplate desktop casing, balanced aluminium bucket & shaft and cased roller bearings. Bout $300 this unit will last for ever! oh that is if i don't use the GMC motor from the drill press you speak of! LOL!

Cheers..

Ben..

-$70 from bunnings, hmmm! best price i can find online is $159.00. for a GMC drillpress. Shall go to bunnings tomorrow and see how i go. :)

If you can get them up and running for around $300 you can put me down as interested. As was mentioned before, the units from the states are heavily over priced. Could even be an idea to sell them in a pack with all the sanding and polishing equpiment as you could probably get a decent discount for bulk ordering that stuff.

Good luck with your venture and please keep us posted as to how you go

N.Q.BALL.SPINNERS

Hey there guys this is Sam Jnr from Nth Queensland. I may be able to help you on this subject as we currently make stand up ball spinners for proshops and house holds that require such a service. The ball spinner that we have put together is a very safe and fast ball spinner. They come with a protection drum so you dont get wet and they travel upto 2800 rpm depending on the size pulley you wish you too run with.
Selling price for each ball spinner starts at $500 includes G.S.T and we can deliver anywhere in Australia.

For confirmation on this product just call me on 0415190433 or George on 0439999222 as he regularly uses this spinner and knows its good qualities.

hello again, in researching my design i decided to take Sams advice and went to Bunnings today and purchased bench drillpress for $65 (Bargin), He was rite very easy to make etc. BUT! its the same ole story, you get what you pay for! the spinner works ok but is a tad unstable and hard to polish, although if you use 2 polish rags one on either side of the ball it seems to be a bit better. i have not built a base for the machine yet as i am only trying it out ATM but with a proper base it would be a lot more stable. another point is u have to sit low and balance the whole thing between ure legs and it could well rip ya **** off! (Am using a plant pot for a splatter & saftey guard.) the other problem i can see is the motor is a 1/3 HP job and you apply very little pressure before it stops due to lack of guts.. But hey in all it's a great idea for the money ($100 in all) so if you dont mind fighting with it and spending 15-20min /ball it will do fine, no good for heavy polishing i would say!.. It is however a make shift unit but I am going to use it myself until i build a more serious unit as explained earlier in this topic.. Hey and the spinner very easily converts back into a drill press without to much trouble... GREAT IDEA SAM!! the press has a 2 year warranty and a 30 take it back if you not happy deal so if you not happy take it back!!
if anyone would like a photo or an mpeg of it in action contact me through Msn..

I am still going to manufacture the gutsy spinner to sell in the near future so still let me know if you are interested..

Cheers,
Ben..

hehe well ofcaorse we need to fight with it... whats that old saying??? no pain, no gain??

lol kiddin.. 300 buks sounds pretty good i dunno... im about to get a job as a pin monkey and i might just use the centers spinner... but if i ever get fired i wouldnt mind parting with 300 buks for a decent spinner...

500 buks on the other hand is a bit dear... you could always go to bunnings... buy 20 buks worth of timber and knock yourself up a pretty decent stand cant you??

ahh well me and my cheap do it yourself bunnings tasks...

anyways i ho[pe ur successful with your attemp to manufacture bowling equipment

regards Sam

yer Bunnings rules, i love the place also. i forgot to mention that there is another model with a 3/4HP motor for $150 if you require that extra bit of guts..

I going to weld up some sort of stand up for it tomorrow, "OR"i did notice that the female bit on the head of the drill goes all the way through the casting/housing so if you removed the belt cover, you shold be able to mount the drill press head upside down on the origonal stand it came with, dont know how well it would deal with the wieght of a B-ball.. might give it ago tomorrow.. May be a bit dangerous with the v-belts exposed though, will need some sort of guard..

With a bit of patience you can get a good shine. i just wet rubbed and polished my spare ball (polyester white dot) and i can now see my face in it!!(25min)..

Not Bad! :)

i did the bolt/shaft thing a bit different- i used a cuphead 12mm allthread bolt with the square bit under the head, then used large washers on the Nut side and tightened up pulling the square bit of cup bolt through the buchet.. (so the square bites in, stopping bucket from turning) then cut bolt to length so nut sits against the chuk of Drill press.. Blah!!!

Ben..

Back
Top Bottom