Australian Open Spot - Sunshine

let me say it for you kelvin the conditions were an absolute joke trying to get the ball past the 30 foot mark on the outside was impossible not to take anything away from the lefties but they seemed to be able to play anywhere between 1 and 15 without a problem of the ball rolling early

I managed to find my line in the 8th game, too bad it was standing on about 50 board and hanging it to about 5 board or so. Andrew Thorpe can vouch for that ;)

Good luck to the righties on the weekend, you'll need it.

I will have my say in this matter and say it in fear due to what responses I will get....

It is really about righties and lefties?? AMF has spent a lot of money getting all these new Kegel machines so I assume that the oil is laid out evenly... Am i correct to assume this??

The center has a shot and I saw it all throughout the 8 games. I saw Alan throw a 247, Nick a 250++ and Kelvin with a few high games as well.

Isn't bowling meant to be about making adjustments? Isn't bowling meant to be finding a shot that will get you into the pocket?? Does everyone really depend on this "hold" shots that we all get in THS??? And we cry wolf when we have this taken away from us??? Blah blah blah...

ADJUST your shot, adjust your hand release, adjust your position on the approach, move closer, move further, change balls!!

More than a handful of bowlers averaged over 200++ so you see, there is a shot... We righties just have to work a little harder.

Take myself for example... I averaged 240++ at Boronia last week and Sunshine brought me back down to earth. Its all about the game and how we make ADJUSTMENTS and I failed to do that.

One bowler I noticed and i wont say any names, stayed on the same spot the whole 8 games trying to fight the lanes, and I overheard that it was the THS that was working before the "apparent AO oiling" was laid.

More and more of us rely on these House shots and when our averages go up and inflated, we feel unbeatable... Then when we loose our comfort zone, it is always so easy to play advantage to lefties when they score...

What has bowling become off??

By the way, Billy and Terry arent crankers, they are smooth rollers with very little hand, and I guess, thats what we need at Sunshine. I feel for Andrew and Cameron. They were standing in no mans land with their huge rev rates...

Be gentle with your responses please, no harm intended...

Leo

We righties just have to work a little harder.

Thats why I wished the righties good luck for the AO, because the lefties won't need any ;)

The thing is Leo, say you have two equally great and consistant bowlers, take for example say George Frilingos, and Mac Stewart. I can tell you now, on the pattern we rolled on the weekend, George would probably have a 20 pin start immediately, given the weather (freaking hot) and the amount of righties bowling.

Anyway, there are tournaments where there's no shot on the left, so its give or take really, but please, give the righties a chance to ***** and moan man, thats all we ask for :)

Btw, I think my son is a leftie, I'm desperately trying to psuade him to start using the right hand more often, otherwise I feel I may have to dislike him just based on that....

i think you might be right in what you say leo about there being a shot there for the righties im only a smooth roller like terry and billy and i think there is a shot there for the righties i dont think it will take long for mac to find that right shot i might have had 3 games in the 160s but 4 of my other games were 213/240/243/247 who cares if im no expert but i think there is a shot

Leo couldn't agree more. The whole idea about having these major events is to set down challenges where the bowler has to identify where they need to bowl to score. Then once they do that they need to have the ability to repeat the shots in order to score well enough to place in the event.

Sadly some of our colleagues out there have bowled at ditched up centres for so long that they find it hard to identify where to bowl fast enough when they have to go searching for an alternative shot or line.

On Sunday I was in the same boat as everyone else up until the last couple of frames of the sixth game where I found the correct shot to constantly carry a strike. I then backed myself to hit it in the last block. That was the difference between finishing in a minor place and taking one of the spots.

Even though I was bowling at better than par until that point I knew there was a better shot out there and I was striving to identify it right up until that point in the sixth game when I did. The bonus for me was that luckily only Billy and Kelvin had identified what they thought was there optimum shot up to that point and fortunately for me Kelvin had a mental lapse in the last game.

We all have them and they can come from a large number of sources including lack of food or drink intake, self doubt or simply failure to recognize that you need to make a slight adjustment to the line you are bowling to still get the maximum result. A major cause can is also not putting yourself in a position to have to use your noodle enough and instead bowling where you can just shut your eyes and still strike.

Anyway let's hope all bowlers can find something this Saturday that gives them the confidence to plan how they are going to handle the bowling format for Monday.

Terry,

Have you turned into a motivational speaker?

You and I know there was a hold area on the left. You probably would of scored more if you threw more than a handful of revs to carry all those single pins you left ;)

To be honest, I don't give a toss if they make it favourable on either the left or the right, I just hate it when people seem to think there was no advantage and they just bowled "real well" with no help at all. I don't think there has been one single tournament in the world that hasnt been won by someone that had some sort of advantage somewhere, its really about finding that hold area where you can make the occasional mistake and get away with it, unfortunately it was on the left this weekend.

Don't discount comments made by respected bowlers within the community, I mean Ralph has been bowling at Sunshine for probably longer than I've been alive, and if he says it was nice and juicy on the left, then it was bloody nice and juicy on the left.

Leo couldn't agree more. The whole idea about having these major events is to set down challenges where the bowler has to identify where they need to bowl to score. Then once they do that they need to have the ability to repeat the shots in order to score well enough to place in the event.
Sadly some of our colleagues out there have bowled at ditched up centres for so long that they find it hard to identify where to bowl fast enough when they have to go searching for an alternative shot or line.
On Sunday I was in the same boat as everyone else up until the last couple of frames of the sixth game where I found the correct shot to constantly carry a strike. I then backed myself to hit it in the last block. That was the difference between finishing in a minor place and taking one of the spots.
Even though I was bowling at better than par until that point I knew there was a better shot out there and I was striving to identify it right up until that point in the sixth game when I did. The bonus for me was that luckily only Billy and Kelvin had identified what they thought was there optimum shot up to that point and fortunately for me Kelvin had a mental lapse in the last game.
We all have them and they can come from a large number of sources including lack of food or drink intake, self doubt or simply failure to recognize that you need to make a slight adjustment to the line you are bowling to still get the maximum result. A major cause can is also not putting yourself in a position to have to use your noodle enough and instead bowling where you can just shut your eyes and still strike.
Anyway let's hope all bowlers can find something this Saturday that gives them the confidence to plan how they are going to handle the bowling format for Monday.
I wouldnt say i had a mental laspe Terry. Where i had a shot in the first 7 games, the last game it just broke down on me. Even with the power and speed i get on a ball i still couldnt get the ball down the lane.

i thought you were a little stiff with a flush 9 pin and a flush 7 pin in the 9th and 10th frames both just missed by scouts

maybe i should change to a left hander or just change so i can get more revs other wise im always going to struggle in tournaments like the ao so from now on if i dont change my style i may as well not bowl in those tourneys again

with that sort of attitude peter you are going to sturggle. i am a left hander on a 180 ave but i took a very different attiitude into vic 150. at the end of day one i was even with the card and had i not had a silly accident yesterday morning that has me now sporting a black eye and made me pull out of tournament i might have made the cut, because i was taking the attitiude that eventhough i had to shoot a 211 average scratch, it was still achievable if i made the right adjustments. If you go into a tournament thinking you have no chance then 9 times out of ten you don't have any chance as the mental game will get you before the physical one does. its not always about how fast or good you throw the ball down the lanes, lots of things make a good bowler.

well ok forget what i said about changing to a left hander but with my style at the moment i am always going to struggle in that condition they have for the ao i tried every ball that i have and made a lot of adjustments and i still got knowhere

i have thought about it overnight and i dont think i will get anywhere in a tournament like the ao with that condition i know im good enough to make the cut but not with my out of date equipment it would be nice to be able to have a new and up to date ball in just about every tournament i would like to know how many of the top bowlers have a new ball in nearly every tournament they bowl in just a question do they or dont they???

Pete,

To answer your question, the 2 balls I used all weekend are 3 and 4 years old.

But then again I am a lefty........

peter the top bowlers hav earned their "new" equipment coz they bowl out of their ass B4 they had the new equipment, coz they were consistant in results and skill. Even if they used old equipment they would pretty much get the same results and i will stand for brenton coz i hav seen him on many occasions and the main ball i c him use is the brunswick absolute inferno. its not about new equipment its about the bowler if u can't make cut then mayb their is something missing in your game they always did say give belmo a house ball and he could still make cut now thats class. cheers ryan buerton.

peter is u say it like that i got a challenge for you how about i buy u a brand new ball for the melb international open and if you make cut then you can keep the ball free of charge but if you don't you buy me a ball of my choice? to replace the ball i bought you. how about it seeing as how you say its about having new equipment. cheers ryan burton

ty for your answer to my question brenton so ryan i wont be taking up your offer i was wrong so know ones perfect

Back
Top Bottom