Australian Firm Buys Main Event FECs

androooo

hmmmmm......
Staff member
From Bowlers Journal International

Australian Firm Buys Main Event FECs
Sep 3, 2006, 9:59 AM

The Main Event bowling centers in Texas have been sold to an Australian firm, Macquarie Leisure Trust Group. Main Event is a Dallas-based company that had been owned by Dave Smith and Neil Hupfauer which consists of six family entertainment centers in the Lone Star state, with two more on the way in 2007. The centers are progressive in nature, and Hupfauer was cited for his contributions to the operations as a former BJI Proprietor of the Year. Macquarie owns and operates 49 bowling centers, six marinas and an outdoor amusement and water park in Australia, so the purchase is a perfect fit in that regard. Hupfauer will continue to have an active role in the operation of the centers. Sandy Hansell & Associates brokered the deal.

Since they obviously have the money, maybe they can spend some on centres in Australia too.

See also:
Macquarie Leisure Trust announces record profit of $38.04m
and
Mac Leisure bowls over US deal

Bowlers who come on here may not agree with what is being done with the money; God knows I could think of several centres who could do with a 10th of that record profit just to upgrade from "FUGLY" to "UGLY", but that will only happen if it will result in an increase in profits. Till then it's better for them to just up the game rate, squeeze more people on during open hours and get rid of those staff who cost a fortune and achieve nothing.

To be fair, MLE have done a great job in what they wanted to achieve; Bowling centres are making money again. I see posters for AMF and STRIKE centres everywhere I go and I hear ad's on the radio every other day. The more people are introduced to bowling, the better for everyone in the long run.

You got to be careful with game prices though these days. It used to be $4 a game a few years ago, now it's round the $10 a game. A 4 person family doesn't want to spend $80 just to go bowling, no including food. Then if you up the rates again and it costs $100 for a family to go bowling, then you might lose alot of money.

It's hard, but you have to find the balance, and have your vouchers. Vouchers are very important these days, because a first time social bowler will get their voucher to use for next time. Offering some savings for bowling will always get them to go bowl again, just as long as the service was good the time before.

It's hard, but with pricing, you do have to find a balance. Normally good service tends to get them coming back also. But will be good if more money was put into bowling centres around Australia. Might open up more tournaments in the future.

Yeah round the mark. But you add a game or two on and they become cheaper, so it works out to a decent price. I used to get it for $2.30 a game back a few years ago.

I cant remember when i last saw bowling advertised for $4 a game, when i left it was about $8 a game at my local, now im back its like $10, which isnt that much of an increase in 6 years.

$2.30, thats just crazy, thats got to be league rates, not open play.

As for not spending $80, i think you might want to recheck that. Take a family of 4 out, bowl 2 games, spend a couple of hours on the lanes, then compare it to taking the same lot out to the movies, some other amusement place or even a theme park.

Back
Top Bottom