AUSTRALIAN BOWLING HERITAGE

steve jones

In recent weeks a few like minded people have been discussing how it might be possible to locate much of the missing history of bowling in Australia. Sadly, as some will know having read recent posts on this topic here on Total Bowling, it appears very likely that much of the history was discarded at various times as the TBA relocated offices.

This reality alone is disturbing - but we must move on and try to establish what may be in private collections across the bowling community in Australia - and then of course do what we can to find a more permanent home for the collection.

To this end a small group of people has banded together with the desire to do what they can to find what may be out there. The "group" is informally established, has the blessing of the TBA [thanks largely to Cara Honeychurch] and is privately funded.

It will go by the name of "Australian Bowling Heritage".

I'm delighted to advise that John Burgess has agreed to be Patron of "ABH". John of course has given back more to bowling than most people will ever realise and he keeps on "giving". His position as Patron will help the efforts of the group given John holds a unique status in bowling in this country - and the man can be very persuasive!

Bowling legend Jeanette Baker has offered her 5 star secretarial skills and knowledge - as too Cara Honeychurch who will be the conduit between ABH and the TBA. Long time Victorian bowler Grant Eadie will help steer some "local" digging - and I have written to one or two others to seek their informal support.

However - allow me to stress please - this is NOT some sort of formal committee, or closed shop entity - we welcome everyone's help and input. Ultimately the goal is to find what we can and then locate it somewhere where it will be taken care of and hopefully, exhibited in some fashion.

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Terry Silva of Victoria for his input and energy in helping to generate the idea - Terry I have written to you via your work email address - I guess you will pick it up tomorrow [holiday where you are today I believe]. We need your help sir.

Some quick closing points if I may.

1. As noted already, ABH is privately funded.

2. This process will not take 10 minutes - we believe 12-18 months of "Sherlock Holmes" type work is what will be required. There will no doubt be an initial swell of support and then, as is mostly the case with efforts such as this - information will slow and then stop - and it will be at THAT time that the hard research and digging will need to be done.

3. We are looking ONLY for quality items, and only ONE of each item. As an example we already have one complete set of Pin Action and Strikeout magazines [thanks Bob Cook]. We also have an in-part list of what presently is at the TBA office - there is more to be added to this list as I understand it. So clearly cataloging will be an important part of the process.

4. Finally - there are many question to be answered - but first we must learn what question need to be asked...and then we will be rather better informed than we are right now as to what we are chasing.

Should you have any information or some items of your own that you feel might help us - then please email me .... [email protected]

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help and support - we will surely need it.

Steve Jones

Steve,

I've printed this and will put it on Ballina Bowl Notice Board.

This Bowl was only built in the late '80s, so there won't be anything much at the Bowl itself, plus some of the previous operators were the " throw everything out that's not to-day types", but Ballina is a retiree town, and the day leagues of oldies have people who bowled in their youth. ( some of them are 80+ )

I'll get them to contact me, if they have anything, and I'll check it with you.

Here's hoping.

I'm happy to arrange access to any of our ACT records that may be of use. I'd love to tell you what we've got tucked away but I simply don't know, an audit of that has been on the to-do list!

I am also happy to provide a central electronic storage for championship records for an eternity, although that will take considerable time to input. By this of course I mean I'm happy to somehow arrange the entry or import of all championships scores we can find into the database I keep, and with time that could become quite a records facility

Thanks to you both allow me to revert separately re the data input once I better understand what is already in place at TBA and I also know of one other private data resource that I understand to be extremely precise.

Jim, I hoped you might latch on given clearly you have some contacts in NSW and elsewhere. Also - can I say - you have nailed the primary reason we need to try and find out what's out there NOW!

Many people who will have items that may well be worthwhile are older and as a result are either relocating and downsizing or, sadly, dying. In another five to ten years or so much of whatever it might be that's out there today will be gone...there is no panic of course - but time IS a very real consideration.

Cheers to you both...Steve

I would just like to say that this is a fantastic concept. This history of this sport needs to be displayed for all to see, not just bowlers. To be able to progress into the future, you need to be able to see the past and i believe this could develop into something quite brilliant.

I will take the opportunity when i go to my local bowl during the week to place a notice on the notice board and see what management can do to assist.

May i suggest that once you have some understanding of what items you are looking for, that it is made well known so the search can be made easier.

I would like to add that every bowler in every centre out there should be asking their local, "Is there anything that is of value (not necessarily monetary) that depicts Australia's Bowling Heritage?", anything that is of even the slightest detail, eg newspaper clippings, anything that shows what happened back in the day, IN YOUR CENTRE, will be valuable.

Great idea :)

Jase

Thx Jase - and yes our plan is to evaluate what might be missing once we have determined what we have and then detail the "missing" so perhaps we can locate some of it.

Appreciate you interest - Steve

Steve, do you know what happened to the history that was in the Sydney building Jack Walton put together??? I donated trophies that I won & FIQ Shirt, also Hall of Fame was part of the building where is all that Heritage??? How are you and Sue still together???? Dockers

Steve,

This is a great idea, I have several items that I am happy to give you such as a 1963 Junior League sanctions card can anyone beat that!, first edition of the bowling magazine produced cost 1 shilling, bowling shirst going back to the IBA Juniors etc just let me know when you have a venue.

Belly

John/Steve - a worthy cause indeed. But something got in the way of my continuing with the concept - sometimes good intentions hit a bump in the road now and again - and as a result I have had to change some priorities. So the concept is still there it just needs someone else to push it forward.

Doreen - true love always runs smooth don't you know - so yes Sue and I are indeed Mr and Mrs Jones, we extend our best to you. As for the history of Australian Bowling - well sadly it appears it was "lost" as the old ATBC became the new TBA. As to when, where and under whose watch - well I only have second hand information as I was out of the country for about eight years or so and you'll understand my reluctance to "second guess". Mind you there is a long serving director of the TBA who was a Director at the time - maybe he can spread some light on the subject?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom