Attention Storm Users!

D

Ducati 851

I've just come across some infromation about particle Storm balls...that may be the result of their gear being dubbed at not very durable.

Apparently.

Particle storm coverstocks are so soft that you cant use sandpaper...or at least you shouldnt...they said to use scotch brite pads..so you dont ruin your coverstock.

Now i for one am a person thats had a particle storm ball that has died. so to speak...

and i know for sure that it had been resurfaced with sandpaper just before it did

so be careful everyone...and use scotch pads

Scotch-Brite, Abralon Pads and Trizact are the recommended sanding products for all particle technology balls as they are designed not to break off the particles. Standard "Wet/Dry" sandpaper is a lot harsher and tends to break off the particles when applied to the ball whereas the other products mentioned above are more flexible and sand around the particles causing them less damage. Your pro shop should be able to get hold of any of these products as they come in many different grits, allowing you to fine tune the surface of your particle ball without causing it undue damage.

What Brenton said, but it can be hard for home users to access anything other than green scotch brite. Abralon can be had at some auto shops but they might not sell single pads. One alternative to light pads is to use a handful of Celite (diatomaceous earth, pool filter powder) on a foam pad - used to use this on the old hammer & ebonite particles that died real fast - Riptide anyone? Celite is slow but give a finish about the same as a 1000-2000 grit abralon. Sand as normal first, polish (removes broken particles) then 'sand' with the celite.

Cheers, Robbie.

i have had my fired up die on me cause of using sandpaper and yes i know its pearl not particle the minute i had sandpaper used on it it didnt react anywhere normal on the same pattern thanks for the advice will be telling the proshop guy to use scotch pads from now on unless he already knows of course the reaction of the fired up is almost completely stuffed

I have virtually every grade of Abralon Pad and they cost about $5 or $6 a pad. They are fairly easy to get a hold of for anyone if you just ask around.

Sandpaper should never be used on particle coverstocks. That's been a fact since day dot.

And Shaz, I didn't know you'd had a ball long enough for it to die ;)

I've been lucky with some of my gear using sandpaper, if its a rather worn piece of higher grit paper you might get away with it. If i had the 'right' stuff i'd use that of course and the worn out green pad does a good job too. Ah to have all the proshop gear i'd like!!

We have access to all grades of scotchbrite and abralon pads - and at nowhere near the prices you may expect to pay elsewhere.

Will post proper prices and available colours and grits next week in our classified section.

Regards.........Max

Good on ya max...always helping the little guy out...might grab some of those...seeming ive been banned from the back of the local alley now....

I've been lucky with some of my gear using sandpaper, if its a rather worn piece of higher grit paper you might get away with it. If i had the 'right' stuff i'd use that of course and the worn out green pad does a good job too. Ah to have all the proshop gear i'd like!!

Funny how these things happen!!!:p Do any shops even use sandpaper at all now?

You can pickup scotch brite pads (the red, grey & white ones) from panel beater supply stores fairly cheaply. They are about the same size as an A4 piece of paper, cut them down into 4 pieces and they last for ages.

i heard a story that particle balls ruin abralon pads or vice versa (cant remember which).
is there any truth to this?

The pads don't last long while resurfacing a partical ball. The legends balls are the worst. The particals are very hard and even sand paper has a tough time cutting into these balls.

Back
Top Bottom