Announcement of a New Event

Peter Coburn

Sponsor
Monday 1st October 2007 – At the Holt Challenge Inc. inaugural AGM on the 12th September 2007 a motion was moved, seconded and unanimously carried to introduce a new event dubbed the Darrell Holt Classic Challenge.

The concept for this event was originally put forward by Bowling Balls Australia proprietor, Max Bastion. In support of this event's introduction the Holt Challenge Inc. Committee are pleased welcome and announce that Bowling Balls Australia have agreed to proudly sponsor this tournament in its first year at Adelaide's AMF Cross Road.

The 2008 Darrell Holt Classic Challenge will fill a void for bowlers left in "no-man's land" with a maximum league average of 199 for men and 189 for women. Like the Darrell Holt Restricted Challenge, the event will pitch state versus state in two full rounds of scratch head to head bowling.

The roster of players for each team in the tournament will not exceed a combined total of six (6) players, comprising of three (3) men and three (3) women. The playing strength for each match will be 2 men and 2 women, with only bowlers of the same gender competing “Head to Head” in any given team match.

Already zone committees have received overwhelming support for this new event with some indicating and expecting high particiaption roll off numbers.

The introduction of this event forms part of the Holt Challenge Inc. expansion plan catering for lower average bowlers. Following the success of the 2007 event the program for 2008 has been extended to cater for the expected 6000 games.

A full set of rules for the Darrell Holt Classic Challenge will be available at www.holtchallenge.org.au shortly.

So Peter, what about the bowlers that are above the 199 average, they still are unwelcome to bowl in the event. Please tell me about the bowlers that do not what to bowl Rachuig, still do not have an event to bow in.....

So Peter, what about the bowlers that are above the 199 average, they still are unwelcome to bowl in the event. Please tell me about the bowlers that do not what to bowl Rachuig, still do not have an event to bow in.....

Like you said, there is an event in place for bowlers over 199, or any average for that matter (Rachuig). It's your choice whether you bowl in it or not. You want them to start another tournament up just because you dont want to bowl in whats available.
Is it any wonder why this sport is rooted with all the breakaway associations & tournaments started by people that get there noses out of joint because they cant accept the unpires decision.

The Holt Challenge Inc Committee recognise that the premier state versus state open teams event is the Walter Rachuig Tournament and have no aspirations in creating an event as an alternative. Additionally, there are also numerous individual open tournaments for these same bowlers available throughout the year.

However, the Holt Challenge Inc Committee are aware that there is a lack of events for those not quite up to the Rachuig level and below. Accordingly, this event has been added to the 2008 carnival schedule to supplement the well supported Darrell Holt Restricted Challenge.

For many years this type of event was requested of the NSO but fell on deaf ears. When proposed at the Holt Challenge AGM it was welcomed with opened arms and was seen as a natural addition in order to move forward with an expansion program.

To Max At Bowling Balls Australia
Victorian bolwers wishers to thank you for supporting this great event

Regards

Jeanette Kent

Really is this a good idea? What happens when the next lot/void of no man's land of bowlers comes along? Create another division!!!

Also what's the real message are you sending bowlers? Average management!!!

Efforts should be made in educating the bowler to improve him or herself, not halt their progress.

But if thats what the sport needs good luck with the venture.

hamster

Surely an event to bridge the gap into the elite, given the complete absence of anything to give the fringe the edge or experience to unseat a few of the Rachuig regulars, can only be a good thing?

What happens when the next lot/void ... comes along
The current void is due to one event catering to the elite, where you must be 200-210 to be in there. The next event caps at 184 for men. There's a gap...
At the rate the scores in this sport is skyrocketing, maybe we'll need another event in five years for those who are in the 200 - 225 average range because Rachuig will be so far out of reach... ;p

In any case, it's a good experience and proving ground along the way to Rachuig, how is it bad?

Efforts should be made in educating the bowler to improve him or herself, not halt their progress.
hamster

Well put........

The idea of an interim grade came to me just after Nationals last year. Having seen the gulf between DeVeer and Rachuig for the second consecutive year, it made me wonder how the gap could be bridged.

Bearing in mind that probably the biggest group of keen league bowlers is between those 2 grades, and taking into account that not a great percentage of DeVeer bowlers progress to Rachuig standard - I thought it quite obvious that something would have to be introduced to be able to allow bowlers who have progressed through DeVeer gain more experience. I know of several very good bowlers who are in this limbo stage right now, as much as they try - they are 'just not quite there' for Rachuig standard, but given a year or two in Classic grade and I am sure they will be.

The intention being that with improvement through Classic grade it would give more opportunities for more bowlers to progress to Rachuig than is now possible from DeVeer. Currently the difference between the two grades is just too huge to expect any more than token successful transition.

Bowling is supposedly a declining sport, to me it seemed silly not to cater for our biggest group of competitive bowlers. Our sport can not afford to lose any participants, especially those who have the best prospects of joining the elite level. With the right promotion this event could be a huge success, not only as an event in itself, but as the breeding ground for a successful foray into open class representation. The bowlers in the "Classic area" are by and large the forgotten group until now.

As far as breakaway tournaments are concerned Robbie, this proposal was offered to TBA in early November last year - long before Darrell Holt was formed. I received an email from Alex Popov:

Dear Max
Peter Coburn has, out of courtesy, forwarded to me your email regarding format changes to De Veer. As you may be aware this issue is part of my tournament agenda and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further.
Thank you and regards
ALEX POPOV
Chief Executive Officer - Tenpin Bowling Australia
Vice President - Asian Bowling Federation

and a second one:

Thank you Max
On my return from FIQ and WTBA duties I will call you on the numbers you have provided.
Alex Popov

Of course, I never received that call prior to the announcement of the 2007 National's program. Having discussed my ideas with several very well respected people within the bowling industry and they too feeling the proposal had merit, and having been kicked in the face by TBA, I was more than happy to allow the Holt committee the right to use the idea.

Whilst the Classic event may change some in format in comparison to my proposal, the principle of the event and what the event is designed for, does not change. And as was stated in my original letter to TBA, it was only a rough draft.......

I have the original proposal sent to TBA available for anyone's viewing if they wish, simply request it by email please.

Tony, re the next void - I don't see one, we now have state/national tournaments/events ranging from junior/youth/Deveer/Classic/Rachuig through to Seniors. But I would be interested to know where the void might come from, as we will try and fill that one too so everybody has a chance to participate. Average management will be a lot harder to achieve under the "selection process" & really it won't matter anyhow any more - the introduction of Classic means nobody will have to sandbag to keep in DeVeer class. Please be aware, the introduction of Classic is ALL about improving one's bowling and having the opportunity/tool to do it with.

In summary, by proposing and financially supporting this event, we have attempted with the best intentions to improve the sport, certainly not to worsen it.

Max

Really is this a good idea? What happens when the next lot/void of no man's land of bowlers comes along? Create another division!!!
hamster

Tony,

This surprises me that it doesn’t have your support…You of all people should understand that there is a huge void between people at your level and the average Joe Blow bowler…

Usually you fully support bowlers of the lower average so why this type of competition doesn’t get your support really does surprise me…Not everyone can improve to the elite level regardless of coaching…

This is great initiative for the Fringe bowlers and sorry to mention names but gives the like of Peter Martin, Cameron Smith and Co a SCRATCH head to head event to compete in… I couldn’t imagine these guys or guys like them managing their average at all to make this team…

Peter I think what you guys have introduced here is outstanding…

Well done…

I also think the creation of this event is great and will encourage Walter de Veer bowlers to improve. However, I have just looked at the entering averages of Rachuig teams on the TBA website and 68% of ladies and 27% of men in those teams are eligible to bowl in this new event.

It could be that some of the smaller States/Territories would find it hard to field both, unless they doubled up, if they have the leave and money available.

Debbie Halprin

Hi all,

I have to put my support in this idea, it is about time something like this was thought of, Tba and gstba have the same issue for there national team, you have open which speaks for it self or you have graded which covers 150 up to about 185 or so, this 185 to 199 is a great stepping stone for those no man bowlers(like myself) to be able to bowl in some kind of tornament for there state, i for one will be trying out, maybe tba and gstba will follow suit, as something needs to be done.

Good on you max its about time

Yes this is one of the best things to happen and can only improve Tenpin bowling on a national scale. Well done to all that have been involved with this new events on the Australian calendar.:)

Isn't amazing that yet again TBA have had the chance to be involved with this new concept yet again failed to follow up.:mad: Of course if our CEO spend less time overseas :rolleyes:and more time attending to local issues these events could have been run under the TBA banner.:rolleyes:

this is a great idea and i think what jase posted hit the nail on the head. and it will give everyone that is to good for de veer and not yet good enough for rachuig something to bowl in to improve there bowling..

full credits to the people who invented this your making bowling better for everyone

The current void is due to one event catering to the elite, where you must be 200-210 to be in there. The next event caps at 184 for men. There's a gap...

Where does it say that Rachuig needs an average over 200?

Id be surprised if all our men averaged 200 to make the team and very surprised if our ladies averaged over 200 to make the team.

And Im sure Ive made the team not averaging over 200 in league or in the qualifying.

I understand the concept of the new event and congrats to Max for supporting it,I just dont think all States will have the bowler numbers to support? My Thoughts

Back
Top Bottom