Android Ten-Pin Bowling App

ajr2812

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd let you know, the other day I downloaded an app on my Android phone (I'm not sure whether or not it's available on iPhone/iPod sorry) called "Bowling Calculator" which was developed by a company called Ryano Developments.

I am posting this here because in my opinion this application is perfect for maintaining my overall bowling statistics. It cost me AU$1.49, but I believe that my money was well spent on this one. I can't understand why there has been so few downloads actually, although I'm not sure how long the app has been around.

So if there's anyone out there with an Android phone looking for a good bowling statistics application, then I would highly recommend this one. I have included a link to the Google Play website for anyone who is interested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryano.developments.bowlingcalculator

Thanks,
- Adam

Hi Adam

Just out of curiosity mate, have you tried Pin Pal before on android or iphone(ive seen both they are the same) and if so how does it compare?

I know Pin Pal is $10 but i've found its really really good so far.

Hey Daz,

I hope no one is using them during TBA events as I am sure all electronic devices were band from being used during competition by the TBA effective Jan 2012.

Not that I can ever see anybody ensuring the rule is adhered to.

You can always have someone, who is not bowling in said TBA event, enter your scores for you... More than one way to skin a cat as they say...

Nobody has mentioned using them improperly, thats not what the thread is about.

I only started using Pin Pal about 3 weeks ago at league. I like going back over and seeing what spares i missed, what i was leaving up and a couple of other stats have been very helpful too.

Im doing this so i can become a better bowler at tournaments, so doing it at the tournament would seem pointless to me anyway.

Hey Daz,

I understand totally where you are coming from, the information is very valuable as part of our self coaching.

One thing that I find amazing at events is the amount of people that do use apps to record results. But they are supposedly banned from use while competing. A fellow bowler also commented that he was shocked at the Melbourne Cup, response, "the devices are banned from competition, yet the TBA watching the event did not enforce the rules."

So I guess when they do enforce the rules we will go back to pen a paper to record the missed spares, or we just need to strike more so that spares don't need to be recorded at all.

Entering tournament data can be even more useful than all your league data. Due to being able to tell the app what pattern you are playing on, what centre, even what ball, can give you better data on how you fare on a particular pattern, or a particular centre.

I use Pin Pal and it is great, although I dont use it in TBA Events simply because we are not allowed to use electronic devices, I still find it useful to use while bowling in our sports series events.

Hi Daz

Sorry mate, I haven't tried Pin Pal, although the reviews do look really good, I simply couldn't justify paying $10 for an app, so I figured I'd try the one for $1.50 first.

I haven't ruled out Pin Pal, I just thought I'd try the cheaper one first. Has anyone else here tried both apps? Perhaps they might be able to answer your question Daz.

Cheers,
- Adam

Nobody has mentioned using them improperly, thats not what the thread is about.

I only started using Pin Pal about 3 weeks ago at league. I like going back over and seeing what spares i missed, what i was leaving up and a couple of other stats have been very helpful too.

Im doing this so i can become a better bowler at tournaments, so doing it at the tournament would seem pointless to me anyway.

I have travelled all over the world and have seen a lot of bowlers use these apps on iphones or ipads. Doing it at tournaments isnt pointless because it kind of shows what you did wrong on the day and why you didnt make the cut or why you did well.

If you want to become a better bowler at tournaments then I wouldnt be judging it off what you do in league or training. Tournament play is the only way you are going to improve in the rest of the tournaments, because in league and training, you are not under pressure. In a tournament there is a lot of pressure to perform because all everyone wants to do it try there best.

Hey Daz,

I understand totally where you are coming from, the information is very valuable as part of our self coaching.

One thing that I find amazing at events is the amount of people that do use apps to record results. But they are supposedly banned from use while competing. A fellow bowler also commented that he was shocked at the Melbourne Cup, response, "the devices are banned from competition, yet the TBA watching the event did not enforce the rules."

So I guess when they do enforce the rules we will go back to pen a paper to record the missed spares, or we just need to strike more so that spares don't need to be recorded at all.

I think the number of people who used electronic devices outweighed the number who didn't at Melbourne Cup.

Another good self coaching app is "Coaches Eye". It's available in the Apple app store, for about $5.50. Great video analysis app for iPhone & iPad

Hi Guys,

I like the Coach's Eye for video analysis.

If you are looking for an app that produces stats results based on game scores only, I recommend Bowling Stats Manager. It's a new one and shows instant stats based on scores separating your leagues and tournaments.

Also has a spot for equipment, profit and loss results, as well as contacts (can phone and email bowling contacts direct from the app) and other features.

Website: www.bowlingstatsmanager.com $5.49 from app store (iphone & ipad)

(PS: The app is new and the guys are keen for any feedback as to what the bowlers want to see - great opportunity for additions to the app).

Cheers
Jon K

From what I have heard from numerous sources, is that a scoring device/app CAN be used...how that will be policed, I don't know.

It was allowed at last years Nationals, we had a similar debate for this years travel league and asked to seek proper ruling and we have been told we can use a scoring app

Just going by what I've seen and heard

Hi Everyone

This new rule was introduced to stop people bowling with headphones on, being on the phone, FB & Email etc in the playing area.
There is NO problem with anyone using a scoring App behind the lanes to enter a score.....

Cheers
Geoff Sara
NSW TBA Inc
Chairman

Nice to see common sense prevail for once!

Back
Top Bottom