AMF centres enforcing TBA membership!

scooby sue

Widower
Hmmm, I know most bowlers need to be registered with TBA to bowl in tournaments, but what is this stand over tactic to enforce everyday bowlers who bowl at AMF centres to join the more expensive option of the TBA (NSW & Qld excluded). What does everyone think of this??

I really am interested in this. Will you please explain to me what the less expensive options are, and what do they provide?

I for one think ... support your sport and register for TBA yourself! Why should it be considered as being 'forced'?? About time, we bowlers start to regard it our 'duty' to register with our National Sporting Organisation, me thinks!

99% of sports in this country have MANDATORY registration to compete at league level! Hmmmmm.

Read the last line of the Press release:-
The future of the SPORT is for the first time in a long time starting to look much brighter.

There is your reason!

I for one think ... support your sport and register for TBA yourself! Why should it be considered as being 'forced'?? About time, we bowlers start to regard it our 'duty' to register with our National Governing Body, me thinks!

99% of sports in this country have MANDATORY registration to compete at league level! Hmmmmm.

Yes, that's why I'm interested. What are we doing with "alternatives" at all?
Tenpin Bowling has enough problems being seen by the general public as a sport - not just fun and entertainment - without 'white-anting' our own organisation!! It needs more money and support, NOT less !!
More information, please......... What Press Release??

Agreed Fitzy, Support your Sport 200%...

Fark there are some out and out whingers in this sport...

Get behind it and make a stand in trying to get it moving forward...Its simple no one is made do anything...If you think you can avoid joining by bowling in a privately owned centre than do that if you must....Don't start knocking AMF and TBA for doing something to bolster member numbers...(WHICH IN TURN THE FUNDS ARE USED TO DEVELOP THE SPORT)

Just on Independent centres i bowl out of Tenpin City at Lidcombe and i know that Annette is publically pushing for all her bowlers in leagues to become TBA members. I personally have always been a TBA member and this year i am upgrading to Silver Membership just in case i see something interstate tournament wise that i would like to give a go and one of the main things that a membership gives in the price for all memberships is insurance which includes any injury that may occur to and from the bowl as well as during play obviously.

There is also the use of virgin airlines to get a discount on excess baggage when travelling interstate or overseas and many more things of note for a measerly 27.50 for league bowlers or 55.00 for the silver membership.

I personally think it is great value but it is up to bowlers to make the decision as to whether they wish to do this, i hope people will give it a go.

Michael Mclaren
tickets for short lol

Yes, that's why I'm interested. What are we doing with "alternatives" at all?
Tenpin Bowling has enough problems being seen by the general public as a sport - not just fun and entertainment - without 'white-anting' our own organisation!! It needs more money and support, NOT less !!

It is actually quite a looooooooooong story that goes back to the demise of the old ATBC/ATBA.

A lot of it was(is) politics (as usual) and I would not do it justice by explaining the little that I do know. [besides I'd probably be sued if I did]

What we should be doing (rather than lamenting the past) is pressuring all of the independents to join the cause and make registration mandatory also!!!
I have been saying this for years! Though to be honest I thought it best to add another tier below the current "League" registration, for the one league a week people, at $5 - $10 (lessen the impact of mandatory registration after so long of optional registration). Do multiple leagues you need the current league level membership, silver stays silver for same reason as it is now.

More information, please.........What Press Release??

Hmmm, I know most bowlers need to be registered with TBA to bowl in tournaments, but what is this stand over tactic to enforce everyday bowlers who bowl at AMF centres to join the more expensive option of the TBA (NSW & Qld excluded). What does everyone think of this??

Not sure why any centre would be making a league bowler join silver level membership but the base level is quite affordable and should be a mandatory requirement to bowl league of any kind regardless of what centre you bowl in, there is no other way to increase membership to the sport and in turn increase the TBAs ability to develop the sport from the ground up.

Too many years it has been steered away from, but it needs to change.

I cant go and play soccer for my local club without belonging to the federation, even playing in a 6 a side outdoor comp requires it. Pretty simple really.

Not sure if that is what ScoobySue meant Michael.

AMF have put out a press release saying that standard league membership will be required to bowl a league at an AMF centre in all but NSW and QLD (??anyone know why we are so "lucky" :mad:??)

I think what is meant is why bowl at AMF and pay TBA rego if you can bowl at an indi at pay none(/rival association rego[which is usually marginally smaller $5-$15 less]).

Thanks for the link to that press release. Do you think it should be posted as a thread on this site?
I'd still like to know more about these 'alternatives', and I'll make no secret of the fact that I'd like to just plain get rid of them, using any means available!!
We can do without any residue from the ATBC past ( with due regard and appreciation to all those people of goodwill, and indeed good work, in it's earlier years.)

Sorry, did not explain clearly (tried not too actually ;))! ATBC (depending on who you spoke too) was a fairly good org for bowling (imo). It was mainly the people who did not think they did a good enough job that broke away from ATBC to form these other associations!

Problem is they all had their reasons in the past, and now there is tradition for all associations out there (look at ECCC! - Very popular and now steeped in tradition). These associations go back to the 60s-70's mind!

Rather than booting the non TBA associations, getting them to (attempt to) get past the problems of old and pledging support for the TBA would probably be a better step, me thinks! Maybe a pipe dream, but that's me and my rose coloured glasses I s'pose!

Sorry, did not explain clearly (tried not too actually ;))! ATBC (depending on who you spoke too) was a fairly good org for bowling (imo). It was mainly the people who did not think they did a good enough job that broke away from ATBC to form these other associations!
Hey, they may have been right as the ATBC did not last too much longer afterwards!

Problem is they all had their reasons in the past, and now there is tradition for all associations out there (look at ECCC! - Very popular and now steeped in tradition).

Rather than booting the non TBA associations, getting them to (attempt to) get past the problems of old and pledging support for the TBA would probably be a better step, me thinks! Maybe a pipe dream, but that's me and my rose coloured glasses I s'pose!

Goodness, there sure is more to this than I imagined. I was somewhat involved in the demise of the ATBC and the establishnent of TBA, but these issues passed me by at that time. Regardless of the good / bad ATBC - and it certainly was from time to time both, with this history, pipe dream or not,we, the members, need to see if we can do something to help bring about an amalgamation / uniting of all these bodies.

I still don't even know who, what , or where, or indeed why they are operational.

I'm sure TBA must already be working on this.

Can some of us get together and see if first we can understand this situation, from the various points of view,and secondly if we can engineer compromises and solutions?

Can we actually do something other than just talk?

Anyone - what do you say?

Jim,

I think you will find that this is once of Cara's and TBA's main Goals they are working on Consolidating the Memberships all under the one banner. It has been ongoing for quite some time...

Morty.

Jim,

I think you will find that this is once of Cara's and TBA's main Goals they are working on Consolidating the Memberships all under the one banner. It has been ongoing for quite some time...

Morty.

Yes Morty. That's what I thought would be happening - I said, "I'm sure TBA must already be working on this".

Maybe some assistance is possible ? I'll just do a small addition to what I said, which was....Can some of us get together and see if first we can understand this situation, from the various points of view,and secondly if we can help to engineer compromises and solutions?

Efforts from the bottom, as well as from the top, may actually help?

Just did a "cut and paste " from other thread.

If people want to whinge about the sport being divided why don't you have a good look at the offshoot associations taking members at a cheaper rate! It's no secret that Cara is working her but off trying to bring everyone under one banner, the National one. If we as bowlers truly want to do something for the sport then get behind TBA, buy a membership for a whopping $27.50 per year and make the sport strong with numbers. The saving of going with the offshoot association is about $15 PER YEAR!!!!! Sorry, getting off topic a little but ask yourself this January, do l need to save $1.25 per month, or can l do my bit and join the National body?

Scooby Sue, do you feel that an extra $1.25 a month is to dear?

on the grapevine....... talks are allready under way with tba and utba forming as one entity

All I can say is ... AWESOME!!!

It is amazing to see how many initiatives there are in the pipeline, to advance our sport of bowling! Exciting times ahead!

Acknowledgement of these achievements alone makes the $1.25 per month extra, a worthwhile investment. ;)

Fitzy, I get ya now, I think a good initiative to begin with and as things are already in the pipeline to join associations under one umbrella, then it can only help.

People just need to understand that things wont happen straight away regardless of how much membership the TBA get until a decent base is built, almost like needing to empty a water logged ship, then right it and then get it going again, it will just take time.

We are working hard with the GSTBA in Sydney to get us closer together
We have made some big steps towards that in the last year
We have further plans
It takes time and a lot of energy

There are a number of issue to address with all these association / affiliation matters

We are moving in the right direction

We all need to help promote membership in our leagues

I think a lot of people would support joining the tba if they knew what some of the benefits were to them. So maybe the "selling" of it needs to be ramped up?

Like most things, if its simple to do or if it is done for them people will agree to do almost anything.

With that in mind why couldnt we put in place that all league members as of the first round of any league starting in 2011 become members of the tba and the payments are added onto the league fee every week to make it more affordable for everyone to join.

For those that arent memebers or have no idea what the benefits are see the link below. In my opinion the benefits pay for themselves easily over a year period and its a no brainer even if you were to bowl 1 time a week.

http://www.tenpin.org.au/fileadmin/...ation_Products_and_Pricing__Press_Release.pdf

The insurance alone is enough reason to get people to sign up, just ask anyone who has done a sporting injury in a competition that doesnt have insurance how hard it is to pay for everything yourself.

C'mon people rather that ask what your sports can do for you, ask what you can do for your sport. (ps i heard that somewhere) :)

Back
Top Bottom