Airbrushing bowling ball

B

Bluebowl

Hi all I am just getting back into bowling (used to be in a jnr legue am now 27 :D )

I am just about to purchase a cheap second hand ball for now but I want to airbrush it can anyone tell me what has to be done to the ball to prepair it and what has to be done after so its nice and smooth again. and any places (in sydney) that do this type of thing.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Sorry to be a bummer on your otherwise great idea, but the lane surface will just chew any kind of paint finish right off in minutes! Especially synthetics!

On the bright side, there's some good looking gear around these days. A lot of it looks like balls from the 50's and 60's, but hits like a truck!

If you want a really funky ball, check out some of the Optix range or similar like the Sports Balls by Storm. Maybe not as organic as you might have been looking for, but very kewl nonetheless.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Thanks I thoughtthat might be the case, I will check them out

Can you get like another layer of clear resin put on? I.E shave a layer off paint then a new layer of clear.

as you can probably tell I dont know much about bowling balls (yet) but I am willing to learn:D

It's possible, but your chances of keeping the ball round are getting very remote. You'd be removing an awful lot of surface in the first place, then finding a casting resin that could be applied thinly and withstand 2000psi impacts repreatedly...

Well... Ouch! :)

It could be done, but I think you'd go through a couple getting it right.
Sorry Dude! (I really like the idea, though! Sounds like big fun!)

How about "dot painting" the ball with plugging? Got a drill press you can use? Get a creative pro-shop to fill the holes with whatever's left over? Hmmm... It would look funky going down the lane!;)

Wouldn't this make it a non legal bowl due to altering the surface of the ball???? Maybe alright for social bowling if the centre lets you. Sorry to be such a bummer.:mad: :D :D

Oh well it was worth a shot I was just after that custom look.
Thanks for the suggestions on which balls to look at.

Bluebowl said:
Oh well it was worth a shot I was just after that custom look.
Thanks for the suggestions on which balls to look at.

Personalised bowling balls will be good too... maybe, one with a photo that will really scare the pins and get more strikes!:D

i know it might be a long shot but i think ive heard of some places that make custom bowling balls, maybe they make clear ones with images inside but you could ask around

There are manufacturers in a couple of countries, but the only one's I know that speak English (well, sort of...) :) are Americans!

I knew a guy years ago who investigated manufacturing balls, but the chemicals you work with are so horrendous, he ran like hell. Every fella he met that worked with urethane for any period of time had dermatitis and other ailments.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom