afl-police agreement .......

bfcc

Victoria Police has confirmed it had a "memorandum of understanding" with the Australian Football League (AFL) in relation to criminal investigations involving players.

Elements of the deal were released yesterday, including a requirement that police consult with the league before talking publicly about investigations into football players and sharing policing information.

The memorandum also allegedly shows the AFL had the power to investigate allegations of assault, drug trafficking, sexual assaults and illegal betting.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman says the wording of the agreement has caused some concern.

But she says police have "absolute primacy" in the investigation of criminal matters, and the deal, which has since expired, did not compromise investigations.

The State Opposition says it is the latest deal involving the inappropriate sharing of sensitive information by government agencies.

Premier John Brumby told Fairfax Radio he knew nothing of the deal.

"These are operational matters and I've always said that operational matters are matters for police command," he said.

"I don't need to know, or want to know about operational matters. They are matters for them, so I was not aware."

I think this is just wrong maybe i am missing something .....:confused::confused:

That's great !!! Our government has no idea what it's senior officials are doing.

Maybe the AFL will soon have the same rights as churches, where they can say "Sorry, it was said to me in confidence so I can't say anything"

Obstruction of justice anyone..................................?

And yes Jeff, this is wrong

Bigsy...

Back
Top Bottom