ACT State and CTBA Championships Idea

rpac23

Posse Court Jester
After the announcment of the 2008 TBA Adult Nationals being in ACT, I wonder how the calender for ACTs two annual championships will hold up.

In NSW, there is the Nowra Championships in March (bowled in Bomaderry actually) and the Illawarra Championships in April/May. The masters winners get entry to the NSW State Championships for their respective masters.

My idea I want to bring forward is this. CTBA should run their championships in early April, with their winners going into the ACT State Championships sometime in August. Obviously the winners there going into the Nationals in October.

I've noticed with too many events happening, people tend to get 'sick' of them and don't want to do too many. With the CTBA running first, its allows everyone wanting to shoot for a free entry to the State championships.

Just a thought for now, what does everyone else think? I'm sure Jeff Whitty have an idea or two?

Nothing like the hot seat...

I would like to see juniors run a seperate masters event early in the year around March(not necessarily with a championships) so that we have a rep for junior nationals.

Then a combined championship in August of Adults and Juniors, incorporating Adult masters. This would bolster numbers and quite frankly reduce the workload of the board and volunteers.

Something that was run in the past when we had enough bowlers for Junior City championships, was that the City masters gained an automatic qualifying spot in state masters (not a FREE spot, just automatic qualification like state reps at nationals). I agree that it would be interesting to have both CTBA and the Tuggeranong association run centre championships, and have those masters winners given automatic qualification to state masters.

I would like to see also a very small levy (say $1 per bowler per event) added to the association championships, with a portion of this sent to the association trophy events and a portion to the STATE trophy events. This generates an additional prizefund which might add to the interest. I would propose a decent split too, maybe 60c to state and 40c to the association events. To show numbers on this idea, Queanbeyan City this year would've raised $220, ACT State this year $280, ACT State last year $270

Or rather than adding prizefund (which only feeds the "I need to place to just get my money back" attitude), subsidise the cost of the games.

Unfortunately, the results of the poll in the main forum on this inconclusive, the top two responses (which were a mile away on the rest) were as opposed as it gets, "Take away the prize fund and make it prestige" and "Increase the payout"... Can't do both...

Maybe some side games? Brackets? High game awards? The only statistical thing I can think off easily at the moment is if I set up a record scheme for everything in the system, and generate a "Take the record competition" so to speak... What would make it more appealing for you to bowl normally?

*thought*
What about masters spot tournaments? Your chance to not stress about requalifying...?

Juniors Masters will be held a Tuggeranong Bowl weekend of 23rd and 24th February2008.

Centre has been booked.

Currently booked two squads 8:30am for 9:00am start and 12noon for 12:30pm start. 36 Spots per squad.

Depending on numbers a third squad may be opened up.

This however will only occur once the other two squads filled.

Qualifying will be on the 23rd and finals on 24th. This is for both Restricted and Open.

Feel free to start advising names if interested.

Once all details costs and final format sorted will post it on website.

Combined Junior & Adult Championships have been set for 9th & 10th & 16th & 17th Aug 08. Centre to be confirmed. Will post more re these championships in the New Year.

Cheryl Dennis
ACTSTBA
Secretary

In my opinion, I like events that chain together. It makes me come back for the next one. This is coming from someone who'll bowl in anything anyway! :p

Hopefully the format and prize fund will encourage some more local participation this time around, especially with a spot in the masters at home up for grabs.

I also hope the association will host the state championships at Tuggeranong, allowing us to have a masters champion who should be able to perform well at the nationals! The idea of having it at another centre makes no sense when we can take this opportunity as a rehearsal for the nationals (provided we can put down a similar lane condition to what will be expected at the nats)

Just my 2 cents worth

CT

I agree with you Chris. I've noticed in the last two years that the Nationals Restricted Masters Champion is usually a member of their State's TBA. I know there are a few good under 200 ave bowlers in ACT.

Either way, I'd be happy to represent ACT in any fashion possible.

Hi Cheryl.

Can you also put Chloe and Nathan Harradine-Hale in B squad as well.

Thankyou

Lynda

Hi Cheryl, Emilie would like to bowl in the B Squad for Masters Qualifying on the 23rd February. Thanks - Coops

Back
Top Bottom