ABTSO NSW warning letter

JP

Today, I received an official letter from ATBSO NSW see below:

QUOTE:
“The full committee of the ATBSO NSW held a Meeting on Friday 16th November, 2007.
The Purpose of this meeting was to discuss your refusal to bowl during the Interstate Challenge in Perth on 24th September 2007.
The Committee has decided that your behavior was unacceptable and detrimental to your team, and as such, the committee us giving you a FIRST and FINAL, warning for this action.
Any further incidents will incur disciplinary action, and result in either barring you from the Roll-off or suspension of membership of the ATBSO NSW.
The Committee also requests that you apologise to the members and managers of the NSW interstate Challenge Teams for your Code of conduct in Perth.”
End QUOTE

The truth was that I was told our captain and manager “I didn’t have a good feeling to bowl better at that time, it will better to let other people bowl, I need some practices to get my feeling back”

Is this called ‘refuse to bowl’? Should I be given this warning message?

Regards,

JP Li

JP
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you won the sportsmen's award for the challenge:confused:
Hope it works out for you, I found you a real gentleman in Perth
Regards
Grant

I didnt think an ATBSO commitee would have a god complex? Ah well, we're talking about commitees i guess

What are they thinking...

JP, you didn't win the sportsman's award for no reason.

I could only imagine that you would have 100% support, not this, you don't

deserve it.

See you in Brisbane in January.

Hey JP, you are first and foremost a team man and in thinking of the team you felt that you would not perform they have found this unacceptable and detrimental to the team.... hmmmmmm l find this a little strange...and in regards to your question - no l do not think you should be given a warning... just my two cents worth... Tony Long

I hope you were at least given the courtesy of putting your side of the story to the Committee before being given this warning or were you found guilty without any opportunity to explain your actions.

You have always seemed to put the team first and foremost and given your best effort at all times. Don't let the decision of a few who were probably not there taint your bowling. Let's hope you have got your feeling back now and looking forward to seeing you in Adelaide next year.

Keep smiling - you are a great sportsman and a real competitor.

Lyn & Nifty Hannam

What a load of rubbish!!!

JP you are true gentleman of the game and a great bloke.

If you feel your not able to put in your best performance, you did the right thing by letting someone else bowl.

Let’s hope this can be resolved quickly.

No way should you have received a warning.

Get that feeling back and keep up the great bowling, everyone needs a team member that know's their limits.

Congratulation on winning the Sportman's award too.

That is just stupid,

How can they give you are warning letter after you were given a reward for sportsman of the tornament,

they need to wake up.

Keep up the good work JP see you in canberra

Hi JP
What a crock of #*?@ no wonder so many are giving the game away.
If you were not notified of the hearing or given a chance to state your case THEY owe YOU an apology JP
I have always found you to be a real gentleman and a true sportsmen
KJ

Timely reminder!
NSW ATBSO AGM and election of officers takes place at Mt Druitt at conclusion of bowling on Sunday 16 December. I believe there are a number of nominations for committee positions.
Although it is now too late to nominate please make sure you turn up and vote if you would like to see new directions/changes/better management.
to the people who have been complaining long and loud throughout the year..........now is your chance, BE THERE!

Josie Adams

Having been on a disciplinary committee before I ask this question first - were you notified of a meeting taking place and asked to attend to give your side of the story? If not then you can object to the "First and Final Warning" (made sure you do it in writing) and then the ATBSO NSW need to take it to the next level in the pecking order for this to be resolved.

From your post it sounds like you were not called to attend the meeting.

Hope this helps

Liz

Thanks for all your responses, I am really appreciated that.

Here are some updates. After talked to a number of ATBSO NSW committee members, all of them asked me to do not worry about that (can I be not to worry?). I was even told that the letter is illegal because it has no signature and date on it.

I was told the reason for the letter, a bowler mentioned my name in the response of a warning letter addressed to her. Surprised to me I was not given any notification, or asked for a meeting to discuss the matter.

I am not sure we can have a new committee or not, but
3 couples in 11 committee members is not a best committee structure to me.

Regards,
JP

It certainly appears that the letter (unsigned and undated) would not hold up in any later appeal. However I would suggest that you write back to the Committee stating that you dispute the contents of the letter and the fact that you were not given the opportunity to state your case to them. Then ask for confirmation in writing that the letter and threat of further action will be withdrawn.

Once this is received you need not worry any more and get your "feeling" back.

I agree it is not good policy to have any couples on a committee. My husband and I have always said that if any one of us is on a committee then the other will not stand (despite often being asked to do so). Not being on a committee does not stop you helping out at functions, fundraising etc just avoids any conflict of interest (or allegations of vote stacking etc).

Hope this all works out well for you.

Hi JP

It seems to me that you have been "set up". No principles of natural justice have been applied to you therefore there has been a serious breach of antidiscrimination laws. I agree with others that you seek a letter from the Committee, not only apologising for the letter sent to you, but one that withdraws the warning and clearly apologises for being discrimatory and lacking principles of natural justice.

What has happened to tenpin bowling as a SPORT? It doesn't need this sort of crap.

Congratulations on your award of SPORTSMAN at the ATBSO Open mens nationals. That is a difficult honour to achieve but one you truly deserved. Everyone knows what a great sportsman you are JP and a great guy to boot.

Cheers

J.P. You did the right thing by notifying your Captain and Manager in regards to your capabilities at the time. This was to the benefit of your team and you would always put the team first.
See you in Qld
Regards
Mike Sullivan

can anyone tell me what age a person must be before the become a senior

To join and bowl the local ATBSO Comps you have to be 45yrs of age - to bowl in the TBA various State Comps you have to be 50 yrs of age or turn 50 in that year. (I think that is how it is) To get a Seniors Card you have to be 55yrs of age and to get the pension you have to be 65 yrs of age but not too sure on that one.. hope this helps in becoming a Senior...

Hi JP well looks like my namesake is going to come to the fore again.
I have known you for quite a while JP and although you are a gentleman and I have had no problems with you, there has to be another side to this as committees just do not send out letters like this no matter how crazed and power mongering they may be.
I did hear that you refused to bowl because NSW had no chance of winning and therefore you couldn't see any reason to bowl. - how much truth is in this is anybodies guess, but rumours start like this !!!
Before I get inundated with knives and stabbings and such, you did win the sportsman award as voted by your peers, this was done without knowledge of any internal goings on in the NSW camp, and as it should be...politics should remain out of sports.
So let us look at both sides, the committee wouldn't do someone like this (a normal committee anyway) without reason, where there's smoke there's fire.
You believe you haven't done anything wrong except be honest and state what you feel.... so there is obviously a communication error or at the least a misunderstanding of what was said in relation to what was meant, I also fail to see this as your grasp of the English language is, let's say..unique
The other side is someone simply doesn't like you or has sour grapes and has baited the committee... my answer... go to the next meeting with the letter ask how it came about, who instigated it and for what reason, any committee worth their salt will not with hold this info, then get face to face with them in front of committee members and get your name cleared...easier said than done... good luck.... the way it should have gone was a friendly phone call or talk with the president or vice. To give a letter as the first option is immature and shows lack of leadership and people skills.
I don't know of this committee, but certainly seems a little out of the norm...I do know JP and you still owe me $30... $10 for beating you in SA and a further $20 for Japan .... better still I'll retract this for $50!!!
Catch you all at Caboolture.

Jp you hang in there mate, to accuse you of refusing to bowl is bull, also not giving you a chance to defend yourself is not at all democractic. check your shoe size it seems as if you`ve trod on someones toes. fraser.

Back
Top Bottom