A gripe or two about bowling

Bowlrig says "One problem I see is that the "old style" bowler has the same game with the new gear as he did with the old and therefore his scores reflect that as they have not increased much with the new stuff."

How right he is ! ( Anyone who DIDN'T bowl in the early 60s, - say, before '65 - don't bother to comment, thanks.}

I remember bowling practice next to a social league one week this year, and the guy next to me had no idea about bowling and didnt know what ball or shoes or anything. I bowled my 3rd game at the same time as he bowled his first game... I think it was his first ever, and he beat me 139 to 127. The two games before my third a went 259 and 224 but anything can happen i guess. I thought it was quite funny but my dad said I should quit bowling after some first timer beat me... oh well it happens to all us.

There is always so much talk about the bowling balls being so much better, l have a picture on my desk of myself with some guys from back at Dunn Sheild at Sunshine back in the early 90's. We all are holding our bowling balls, Jason had his Brunswick Phantom, Mick had his new Excalibur, and l had my Purple Hammer. The interesting thing to me is that l was averaging around 185 at Ringwood at that time and l still use that exact ball at Boronia and average over 220, it was the same ball that l threw the most games with at Mildura including a 300. I really dont think the balls have as much influence on average as the lane conditions. This is where some changes need to be made. Mentone was mentioned as being a very easy centre for some people, but l can say that not all the high average bowlers are happy with the lack of credibility that comes along with it.
As for making pins heavier this has been brought up many times and one self appointed expert told me that this would only make it more difficult for the lower average bowlers due to their weaker hitting power therefore increasing the gap between high and low average players. (l still would like to see heavier pins)
To you Wayne l agreee, a new comer should get his butt whipped by a seasoned player. A savy newbie will take his beating and learn from it time and time again until he himself becomes seasoned but you know what they say..every dog has his day but in the end the cream will rise to the top.

Wayne, the old saying of every dog has it's day, well thats true, but it's only a day!! The smarter dog has it for life. Trying to find a metaphor for bowling here.. Also, even if that one dog had it's day, it was on it's own territory (House shot), never a tournament where most likely, the shot would be significantly more challenging...

Imagine playing Tiger Wood in a Pro Am, and beating him for just the one hole.. To then pack up your clubs and hit the 19th hole bragging about it to anyone bothers to listen.. Anybody who has any basic knowledge of the game realises that it's only 1 hole, or even 1 round of golf..

Bottom line as Bluey mentioned, the creme rises to the top, it always has, and Wayne, it always will..

In 10yrs of bowling, beaten guys much better than me on the rare occasions, and have lost to very low ave bowlers.. It all evens out in the end..

Wayne, the "vibe" of your post, and many others is always negative, why?? You must be the most frustrated/distressed person I know of in any public forum I have ever viewed.. Seek some professional help, as life is way too short, to be that unhappy.

Bowlrig says "One problem I see is that the "old style" bowler has the same game with the new gear as he did with the old and therefore his scores reflect that as they have not increased much with the new stuff."

How right he is ! ( Anyone who DIDN'T bowl in the early 60s, - say, before '65 - don't bother to comment, thanks.}

Sorry Jim, lost in translation. My point was that we have had a few "old style" figure 8, full rollers bowl here over the last few years & and when they have upgraded to the new equipment, their averages & scores, over time did not vary as much as they thought it may,

There is always so much talk about the bowling balls being so much better, l have a picture on my desk of myself with some guys from back at Dunn Sheild at Sunshine back in the early 90's. We all are holding our bowling balls, Jason had his Brunswick Phantom, Mick had his new Excalibur, and l had my Purple Hammer. The interesting thing to me is that l was averaging around 185 at Ringwood at that time and l still use that exact ball at Boronia and average over 220, it was the same ball that l threw the most games with at Mildura including a 300. I really dont think the balls have as much influence on average as the lane conditions. This is where some changes need to be made. Mentone was mentioned as being a very easy centre for some people, but l can say that not all the high average bowlers are happy with the lack of credibility that comes along with it.
As for making pins heavier this has been brought up many times and one self appointed expert told me that this would only make it more difficult for the lower average bowlers due to their weaker hitting power therefore increasing the gap between high and low average players. (l still would like to see heavier pins)
To you Wayne l agreee, a new comer should get his butt whipped by a seasoned player. A savy newbie will take his beating and learn from it time and time again until he himself becomes seasoned but you know what they say..every dog has his day but in the end the cream will rise to the top.

But you are left handed;)

I too use a urethane at times, the old Nitro makes rare appearences, but why do you use the urethane??? Interesting to note though that on your lanes when you bowled the 300, which was a great game mind you, you were using a urethane (1159 series for 5) then you had a 18yr old on your pair using new gear (1225 series). Thing is though this kid has been well coached but most likley not own a urethane ball and may struggle to bowl a similar series on the same condition. Question is in this day and age, does he need to? As with the rest of these kids, whether they have been bowling for 1 year or five, this is the bowling environment they are being bought up in. Will it change in the forseeable future.............I personally don't think so.

Rob

Wayne, the "vibe" of your post, and many others is always negative, why?? You must be the most frustrated/distressed person I know of in any public forum I have ever viewed.. Seek some professional help, as life is way too short, to be that unhappy.

In Bowling as in life??? This thread already has about 46 responses. Probably if it was a 'Light and Happy' post it would have run out of puff well before now? Look at the media. How many 'good news' stories run for days or weeks as opposed to the others?

In terms of Waynes OP, IIRC the singles at the 1936 Olympics (Demonstration sport) was expected to be a formality for the all-conquering US team, who had already belted everyone in the teams and doubles events. Instead, a relative novice from Germany (apparently a very good bocce player though) had the series of his life and managed to beat the greatest players of the era. I am positive there was a BJ article about it - can't remember the guys name though, and it's gonna bug me now. So much for 'it could only happen today'.

As far as the long run goes, Hank Marino won the all-events. Fairness reigns.

bowlrig;270735 But you are left handed;) I too use a urethane at times said:
Hi Rob, l use the urethane because i find it so smooth even if l over hit it l don't get the jump that l get with reactive, hitting power is rarely a problem. It also covers less boards than most of my reactives.
As for the kid on my pair, well he bowled great shots time after time, very smooth. He deservedly won the series.

All the gear is great, I just turn up to the centre, put my ball on the return and go have dinner for an hour. When I come back it's bowled a 600+ series. I then pack up and go home

G'Day,

I think the key is that a new bowler will get lucky and older bowler will be more consistent.

With today’s new equipment, it really does require a lot of equipment knowledge. More than any other pre-large core ball era ever had.

A new bowler may get lucky and match it up with the conditions of the day. The guys that get it right will be on top at the end of a tournament weekend. I think this something that George F, Michael Little and the likes understand and that is what makes them among the top guys of our region. They will not win all of the time but they will match up equipment, release and line better than the rest to maximise their chances of success.

As Bluey pointed out as well, some centres carry well others do not. Pin deflection of the wall is probably the biggest thing here for high scores.

A good shot will carry better anywhere if it is good, where the new bowler will start to leave some ugly splits.

That is what makes being an elite bowler these days that much harder than ever before. The science of bowling is just so much more complex than ever before.

If you are bowling 3 or 4 games head to head against someone who is a newbie and you have experience and a good release which lets you generate a good to high amount of revs on the ball, you really should not lose most of the time. Why? Becuase you know how to adjust and he/she does not. If there ball is carrying nice to the pocket and so is yours but they are outscoring you well the answer is simple if you really want to win and have the release to do it. Rev the ball down his line or over his/her break point. That’s right change your game so that you find the pocket from a different line that also destroys the line he/she is using. You can adjust to stay in the oil and still carry, they can’t. You keep scoring high and their scores turn into a dogs breakfast or at least they only carry when they bowl a perfect ball which for a newbie means its back to your advantage as you can do this more than they can. You break down the lanes to how you want them, if they can’t adjust well that’s why experience etc is so valuable. That’s also why a great release is also so valuable. You do not have to use the bill hooking big rev release all the time, but it’s good to have it for when you can use it.

Interesting point Bomber.... to be honest im never concerned about ruining anyone elses line, and id be suprised if there is more than a handful of people in Australia who would know how to do as you suggest.

I have enough troubles getting my shots to go where i want them to without worrying about how to make yours go where i want them to. :)

Interesting point Bomber.... to be honest im never concerned about ruining anyone elses line, and id be suprised if there is more than a handful of people in Australia who would know how to do as you suggest.

I have enough troubles getting my shots to go where i want them to without worrying about how to make yours go where i want them to. :)

Unfortunately, I have had to do this many a times in league due to their being zero decent scratch leagues in my area and bowling against sandbagging bowlers and ridiculous handicaps and those that play for sheep stations, in my previous leagues, I often started my league using a urethane ball in other players track areas to screw with their pocket carry percentage, line and ball reaction then change to my normal shot after about 15-18 frames and carry on from there. Harder to do in tournaments, but when you get 3-4 games on a particular pair, quite worthwhile doing at times.

Michael, doesn't "screwing with their pocket carry percentages, lines and ball reactions" make them score lower, and get an even bigger handicap, for when you next meet them ?
Unfortunately, I have had to do this many a times in league due to their being zero decent scratch leagues in my area and bowling against sandbagging bowlers and ridiculous handicaps and those that play for sheep stations, in my previous leagues, I often started my league using a urethane ball in other players track areas to screw with their pocket carry percentage, line and ball reaction then change to my normal shot after about 15-18 frames and carry on from there. Harder to do in tournaments, but when you get 3-4 games on a particular pair, quite worthwhile doing at times.

I dont understand what the gripe is all about. What this doesnt happen in any other sport. Ive played other sports at a very high level and stood in the field all day watching someone score runs that had no technique with a good eye or watching a new comer or novice get lucky and bang a hole in one in one of there first games of golf so dont think the sport of bowling is alone. I might be new at this sport and im trying to learn as much as possible as i can to play to the best of my ability and like the previous sports i practice and then i practice again to be consistant and if theres anything in the market today thats legal and is there to improve my game then bring it on , but in saying all that i would swap any bit of equipment thats on the market today that helps me improve for the 20 year knowledge you have learnt and taught yourself.

Michael, doesn't "screwing with their pocket carry percentages, lines and ball reactions" make them score lower, and get an even bigger handicap, for when you next meet them ?

Hence my mention of possible sandbagging anyway, I understand the need to have handicap leagues where I am because there just isn't a high amount of scratch bowlers in the area to make a competitive league, but when reform meetings occur, the majority always choose ridiculous handicap ratios that favour them, nature of the beast I guess, and to coincide I have quite often seen many league bowlers bowl lower than their potential in games if they know the point is guaranteed, therefore keeping their handicaps high and averages low.

I have quite often struggled to win points/games due to this, so in my personal opinion have no problem altering the potential shot of my opponent to work in my favour. Can't bowl 260+ games every game, so need something to even the playing field out a little.

From what I have been looking at on this forum, Wayne nor really many other people have bought the thing that stops most technology arguements then and there and that is NATURAL TALENT.. It has been around since the dawn of time, some people are just more gifted than others, whether it be sport or politics, some people just have the IT factor. It happened in the 60's, it happens in the 00's. Now I dont like usually bringing up other sports in arguements because it is so difficult to compare apples with oranges, but the first thing Wayne said that I thought is that in essence, Usain Bolt at 24 should not be able to beat Asafa Powell who is roughly 28 or 30 because he hasnt been in the sport long enough and hasnt paid his dues. There were 16-18 yr olds who were good enough in the 60's/70's/80's and 90's and there are 16-18 yr olds who are good enough to mix it with the big boys today as well.
From stories I have been told by my dad and others who were around in the 70s and 80s is that they were by far talented enough but didnt have the full mental capabilities to not let the older guys under their skin, these days the young guys dont give a rats about who they are bowling and go out and smash them anyway. Look at Sam Cooley, 19 and the National Champion, isnt that a big eff you to your point right there Wayne.

Back
Top Bottom