2018 Commonwealth Games - Gold Coast

dockers

Tenpin Bowling was not a sport option for the 2018 Commonwealth Games which is now the confirmed host City. Dockers

Did we really expect it to be Dockers ? people have to work hard and constantly be in the various CG committees face to gain recognition for the Sport - however it is disappointment that OUR sport is once again on the outer.
Congratulations to the Gold Coast - to be know no doubt as the GCCG 2018 ??

It's not? Unfortunately you're right.
I just looked at the official site. #@$%#@&^*@#@# !!!!!

When it was included in the Malasian Com. Games, can anyone tell me how many countries competed?

2018 Commonwealth Games bid book was well printed before October so how come TBA sent Cara to Gold Coast during the Nationals??????. Dockers.

Tenpin WAS an option. The site for the bid was created prior to Tenpin being elveated to tier 2 by the Commonwealth organisation. The elevation to tier 2 ment it was then on the "optional" list. As for the printed booklet, the bid city had till the end of October to make any changes to the final bid.

So Tenpin didn't get in this time. At least it's moved up the lists and can be taken as an optional sport in games to come.

But, something for TBA & AMF to note down however is that the Commonwealth games will be in October. If only we had an international level tournament on in October that could be hosted by a centre on the gold coast and might draw some attention if promoted well..........

Hmmmmm, Maybe we should plan for the 'Nationals' be held om the Gold Coast that year, with forward planning to 'hi-jack' elements of the sporting media, who will be there in force ?

apart from the fact that tenpin didn't make it, the games themselves are not to be missed. i worked at 2006 melbourne games and thouroughly enjoyed myself. so i would encourage all those that live in qld and even those that don't to embrace the opportunity and make it the spectacle it should be.

2018 Commonwealth Games bid book was well printed before October so how come TBA sent Cara to Gold Coast during the Nationals??????. Dockers.

You really want to go there and stir this up again?

Unbelievable.

Perhaps I can provide a few details to clarify some of the misunderstandings, and answer a couple of queries raised in regard to the Gold Coast’s successful bid to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

1. Tenpin bowling is classified as a Category 2 sport by the Commonwealth Games Federation, meaning it is eligible for selection by a candidate city to include on its proposed program.
2. There are 10 core sports, i.e. mandatory sports, that each bid city must include in the adult Commonwealth Games, along with 24 Category 2 sports/disciplines that are ‘eligible’ – and hence intense competition amongst those Category 2 sports for the coveted seven or eight extra places on a Games program. Full details of core and eligible sports/disciplines can be seen at Commonwealth Games Federation - Commonwealth Sports - Sports Programme
3. Bowling was not initially included on the program for the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, but due to active lobbying (predominantly by the Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress) and FIQ/WTBA, the sport was added to the program less than two years prior to the start of the 1998 Games.
4. 15 countries competed in the 1998 Games: Australia, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, England, Guernsey, Malaysia, Malta, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, the Isle of Man and Wales. Australia’s Cara Honeychurch, Maxine Nable, Frank Ryan and Michael Muir (with Coach Cheryl Munson and team manager Lorraine Hughes) was the most successful team, winning a stunning 3 Gold, a Silver and Bronze medal – Cara amassing 3 Gold medals in Singles, Doubles and Mixed Doubles events at those Games.
5. The sports nominated for inclusion by bid cities are the sports proposed if that city is chosen to host the Games for which they are bidding. As mentioned earlier, bowling was added to the program for the 1998 Games in 1996, and as pointed out in a post to this forum, the need to maintain a constant lobbying campaign for ALL future Games is obvious. Please bear in mind that following a concerted lobbying campaign, bowling was included on the program for the Commonwealth Youth Games held in Bendigo in 2004, and due to a rearrangement of the timing of future Youth Games to avoid clashes with Olympic cycles, there are two (2) Commonwealth Youth Games scheduled before the 2018 Games on the Gold Coast. The 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games will be held in Samoa, and the 2017 Youth Games on the Caribbean island of St Lucia.
6. The purpose of the day trip to the Gold Coast from Sydney was to maintain dialogue and introduce newly-elected President of FIQ/WTBA, Kevin Dornberger, to the GC2018 Bid committee management, and involved a pre-dawn start to the day and an 11pm finish.
7. The commitment and support of FIQ/WTBA to the goal of readmission to the program of Commonwealth Games and Commonwealth Youth Games is essential and invaluable.
8. The 2018 Commonwealth Games are scheduled for April. A showcase event to capitalise on the huge media presence is a great idea but, like the Olympics, there are regulations that have to be observed to avoid ‘ambush marketing’ within specified timeframes before and after the Games themselves.
9. This, and many other options underline the need for the abovementioned dialogue.
10. Highlighting the existence of state of the art Centres, the ability to organise and stage successful tournaments, the talent of our athletes and their potential medal chances, the experience of skilled officials and volunteers – these are all important aspects that have, and will continue to be demonstrated to the GC2018 Games organising committee at every opportunity.

The fact that tenpin bowling ticks so many boxes as a sport that can be included with minimal impact on Games’ infrastructure budgets, has a loyal and enthusiastic following of potential spectators on site and via electronic media, has no weather issues etc…..these and many other attributes add up to an attractive proposition for inclusion, so let’s maintain a positive outlook and do everything we can to emphasise these benefits in an enthusiastic, sportsmanlike fashion. Supporting Australia’s success in bringing the Games to our shores again in 2018 is, I believe, a tangible way of reinforcing our sport’s eligibility for inclusion on future programs.

Lynne Clay
Honorary Secretary-General
Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation

Lynne,
you have done it again. What a marvellous and informative post. For many years ( for those who don't know ) from way back in ATBC days, you have been the best, effective, advocate for all things tenpin bowling in the general and sporting arena in Australia.

Jim.

Lynne,
you have done it again. What a marvellous and informative post. For many years ( for those who don't know ) from way back in ATBC days, you have been the best, effective, advocate for all promotional aspects of tenpin bowling in the general and sporting arena in Australia.

Jim.

Thanks Jim … after joining the sport’s national body, ATBC in 1996 and witnessing the incredible impact that Commonwealth Games participation made to the profile of the sport here following the team’s huge success at the KL Games in ’98, I can honestly say I’ve been passionate about doing all I possibly can to help bowling regain its place in subsequent Games.

Fortunately, I was initially employed in a full time role (and rest assured, it was more than full time with constant weekend and late night work) via a unique partnership between, ATBC and AMF Australia. This period coincided with the 1998 Commonwealth Games and with the additional support of the independent proprietors I accompanied the team to KL and diverted a lot of media attention to bowling from the traditional sports. Armed with facts and figures, an irrepressible enthusiasm and a group of outstanding athletes to promote, I began to make some inroads into changing the stereotyped views of our sport in the eyes of the vast media contingent present at those Games, and of course I maintained these contacts, and established an even broader network of media connections on behalf of bowling during my tenure with the ATBC and TBA.

Other Commonwealth nations shared an awareness of the enormous value of Commonwealth Games participation, and in 2002 the Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation was formed with the primary goal of staging biennial Championships amongst Commonwealth countries along similar lines to the format of the official Commonwealth Games competition in KL in 1998, and thus showcasing these Championships to the Commonwealth Games Federation, potential Bid cities and the public at large as evidence of bowling’s validity as a well-organised and appealing sport. You’ll find more details at Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation

In the honorary role of Secretary-General and Media Director, I’ve worked incessantly with CTBF President Julian Pace Bonello from Malta and fellow Exec Committee members to achieve this goal, and our success with bowling’s inclusion on the Youth Games program in 2004 was a hard-earned milestone on our journey.

During this time, the national governing body was undergoing considerable upheaval and faced unprecedented commercial and financial pressures. My role had reverted to part-time as a result of several changes to the management structure in the early 2000’s, and the decision was made to cancel my consultancy contract on 1 September 2004 – in the words of the letter of termination “for the overall benefit of our sport”.

Nevertheless, I was determined to pursue my efforts towards Commonwealth Games readmission as I inherently recognise the benefit it brings by elevating the profile of the sport in the eyes of the general public, access to government programs and funding, and potential sponsorship – all of which benefit the entire bowling community.

I revived my publishing career, began providing media/marketing project services to other sports and individual athletes and maintained my commitment and passion for the Commonwealth Games cause by continuing to provide honorary services to the CTBF.

That’s a potted overview of my last 15 years :)- and rest assured I’m still as determined as ever to help tenpin bowlers regain the opportunity to compete in future Commonwealth Games!

lc

Lynn, from having some contact with you, and seeing just some of the positive results you produced for tenpin bowling's profile in the general and sporting media, both during the twilight period of the ATBC and the beginnings of TBA, I could easily have found use for the phrase in that letter. It would have gone something like this - “for the overall benefit of our sport”., we have all decided to take less reimbursement of our expenses, and where applicable a small cut in our salaries / wages, so that we may reinstate you to your full time position, effective immediately. With appreciation and thanks, etc..................... Head Honcho.

:)
while the term ‘regret’ was used, there was no mention of appreciation or thanks but perhaps it was just an oversight. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement Jim – as I said, I’m determined to press on with the Commonwealth Games goal as I sincerely believe it offers the greatest range of benefits for bowlers at every stage of development and ability, and the bowling industry as a whole.

Every sport and discipline in Category 2 recognises the value Commonwealth Games participation, and competition is fierce to secure a place on the program.

I’m inspired by the words of Calvin Coolidge …

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Cheers,
lc

Back
Top Bottom