2014 Nationals

New centre's like a lot of centres these days are leaning more towards social bowling than worrying about there league bowlers. Social bowlers walk in and grab a ball off the rack. Dont need a decent drill press to drill house balls or a pro shop if you dont give a crap about anything but social play.

Norwood bowl in Adelaide pissed all there leagues off when they went Kingpin & renovated and put laser skirmish in the middle 8 lanes of the 24 lane centre. Now the novelty has worn off, rumour is, now there struggling there screaming they want there league's back.

Looks like some knob didnt do the maths on what happens when you lose minimum $500,000 a year in income when you tell 15 plus leagues a week there no longer required.

What business turns away $10,000 a week gaurenteed income.

What business turns away $10,000 a week gaurenteed income.

how about TBA ??????

They want to be part of the Bowling industry but they dont actually participate in any significant manner, then want all the proprietors to do their recruiting work and keep handing over membership fees without actually contributing to the health and well being of Bowling.
The most current set of financials for TBA show they could easily start being involved in the industry by leasing a Centre, then expand from there.
I'm appalled people have sat on their backsides for an eternity and not taken the obvious step towards controlling their own destiny.
TBA members should start a campaign to have TBA Executives do this, its WAY overdue and financially viable to boot.

There, my first rant for 2014, probably not my last

Mate If the TBAL are with holding the required funding currently to each State
they sure as hell have not got the money to buy or lease a Bowling Centre

Membership income is down big time but the cost of running the admin part
of the TBA is growing

If I were part of the National Committee I would want plenty of things to be different.

I spent plenty of my time and donated plenty of my money in recent years on the
NSW TBA Board
My experience is those who whinge the most do the least and or never get involved
to try and help, they prefer to be armchair experts

Geoff,

Looking from my armchair, I note from the 2013 half yearly Financials.
TBA have Cash @ 700k
Liabilities @ 100k
Equity @ 600k .
Also Tournament income was 200k, much of this would be retained rather than 190k being returned to a commercial operator if Nationals and some Ranked Events were held at "TBA's Australian Showcase Bowl "
Office costs @ 58k , much of which could be absorbed by "TBA's Australian Showcase Bowl.
Sports development costs @ 150k, much of which could be offset by "TBA's Australian Showcase Bowl.
So, lets review, 600k available to establish a lease of an existing Centre and get started, say 80% of 400k potential savings to put towards the leasing costs.
Now lets consider TBA's Sporting Body Status by the ATO which means no tax payable on profits, also the ability to establish Licensed Club Premises with income from poker machines etc.
On top of all this, with all the advantages TBA would have over commercial operators, why on earth would the operation be anything less than a nett gain for TBA's financial position ?
If TBA had a Centre of Excellence to showcase bowling, the opportunities for promoting bowling at a national level would be significant, if a Commercial Manager was appointed, I could easily envisage a TBA Centre in every state could be possible within a few years and that would mean, TBA would become a significant player in Bowling Industry, instead they are likely to cease to exist if they continue to repeat the same methods which are obviously not working.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a centres prerequisites & criteria for hosting such an event or any ranked event ?

The prerequisites are a set of conditions required by the organising body. These are usually specified in the tender form that is sent out. They usually stipulate a minimum number of lanes and certain other requirements which may be laid down, for instance use of a tournament room, use of an approved oiling machine, and anything else considered relevant and helpful.
Other factors may be taken into consideration such as location, proximity to accommodation and shops, and parking.
The lowest tender doesn't always get awarded the event as many factors are taken into consideration.
Tenders these days are often returned with a game price which includes a rebate to the organiser, and an offer of trophies, equipment or cash towards the prize fund.

Mistagear

You are misguided, I like your thoughts on the matter but you have no idea, sorry

Well Geoff, I admit at times in my other sport, I have Missed-a-gear or two, but on this subject I will not adhere to being mis-guided.

Just for a moment, lets assume there is a suitably sized bowling centre for lease in a capital city.

I can not think of another corporation, organisation or individual who would be better financed, qualified, hold as many advantages and would have as many reasons to need to enter the market of running a bowl.

Who else as prospective Lessee,
Has the funds in the bank (and inclined towards involvment in a bowling centre) ....?
Already has support of Federal Government and has access to Government grants for developing sporting assets ...?
Has the exclusive ability to bring guaranteed income via Nationals and Ranking Events....?
Has ability to offset significant existing costs by incorporating into a new bowling centre venture.... ?
Has control of all the Coaching and Pathways programs to enhance a bowling centre business.... ?
Has access to whole industry data and experience to incorporate industry best practice methods, in the new business.... ?
Has a vested interest in making changes to turn around it's existing business model which has proven to be failing ... ?
Has in it's charter, a core principle to promote the sport of bowling and could realise that principle in no better way than if TBA ran a Centre/s.... ?
----------------------------------------------
Let me ask you and every TBA member,
Is there a single reason why, TBA should NOT be urgently introducing, Running a National Bowling Centre, as it's number one priority ?

The world is full of impossiblities, until people change them.
In this instance, the only difficulty is making people see that it would be possible. Afterwards, people will wonder why it was not done 50 years ago.

Before any of the above is even considered, TBA needs to address its main problem which is the ever shrinking membership base.
This problem will continue until such time as the governing body admits to its mistake in de-regulating membership and takes a stance over this matter.
To do this it needs the cooperation of both the Iindependants and AMF. It's not impossible but it takes courage, not a quality that has been evident in recent times.

Mistagear

As I have said before , I don't disagree with your thoughts on the matter.
I too would agree and have said for decades we, the People, TBA should
have a national Centre

We had that opportunity in the 70's and 80's when we had 130,000 members
however that organisation chose to waste our money attending every event around
the country, and world in style and numbers....Amongst other things..

In todays climate of numbers and costs it just wont happen and that is because
the TBA do not have the money.. Regardless of what the financial statements may say
The oncosts of running the TBAL have outstripped its income

2014 may well see a change in Government funding to our much loved sport which
will impact further the future outcome of funding the things they should be doing for the sport

What the TBA could do is run another survey and pay some company to produce a report
that tell us bugger all and written in terminology that means FA.... More money wasted.
OR they could listen to what the people have been saying and take a more common sense
approach to things

Geoff,
re- Survey
I attended the presentation done by TBA and the young lady from AIS.
Results of any questionnaire rely very heavily on the people who frame the questions to be asked. That persons prejudices, preferences and ideas dictates what questions should be asked.
I could easily tell that this particular lady had a large influence on the questions, which directly relates to the sort of results and conclusions the survey came to. A pity that funds were wasted in my opinion.
re- cash flows,
I've leased a bowling centre in past, it's not a big deal. I was cash flow positive even after having to pay tax, and despite not having a registered club where income is derived from gambling etc.
TBA can sit and continue to do the same things, continue to shrink and eventually disappear totally..........or
It could change, produce income it never had in past, offset cost which it never had ability to do in past, could retain income instead of giving it to a commercial operator as has always been done, could take control of it's own destiny which it has never been able to, and could promote the sport in a much better manner which it was entrusted to do in first place.
Additionally,
Members can sit on their backsides and watch this slow motion train wreck unfold, or they could make their voices heard until the necessary changes are made before there is no TBA left.
Personally, I've created, copyrighted and continue to build a new bowling sport altogether. This year will see the first tournaments being bowled and later there will be regular league comps formed. Also on the agenda for this spectator friendly sport, is media exposure and building of a modern sustainable multi-level sport with a large fan base and wide general public appeal as a legitimate sport. A sport with professional athletes competing at the highest level, a true sport, not available to kids at a 10 year old's birthday party
By the way, I'm looking to buy bowling lanes to assist in controlling my own destiny and my destiny is not dependent in any way on what might happen to TBA.
My views are observations only, as an interested bowler

Mistagear...
As we both know, there are a good number of bowls curently for sale in Australia. The problem is, the current owners have all greatly overvalued their businesses and are more likely to close their doors than they are to find a buyer who would be willing to overpay for their centres. Just because you CAN charge $10--14 for a game of tenpins doesn't mean you should gouge the bowling public to that extent. ..The idea should be to get their butts in the door, then give them a great experience. Doesn't really matter if they spend all their money on bowling or spread it out over bowling, food, video games, alcohol, or even pokies. Give them an enjoyable experience and not only will you make a customer for life, but you'll get the customer's family members and friends as well. How many families are going to return again and again, when it costs them $80+ for 90 minutes of bowling. Make the game price reasonable and you'll still get their $80. Some of it on bowling, some on beverages, some on food etc..and they'll see VALUE for the MONEY.

I really love this sport and don't wish to see it die off. My best advice to a centre proprietor would be to give FREE bowling to anyone who is still in grammar school or high school. Get them hooked on the sport while they're young and reap the rewards when they're paying full price as an adult...

Sorry, for the rambling..

Back
Top Bottom