2010 Schweppes Melbourne Tenpin Cup - Scores

No becuase then we revert to a carry contest where the winner was not necessarily the best bowler...

Good post +1

Spectators sure like hearing swearing and kicking ball returns and without the average joe blow bowling you wont have any prize money so next year i will save my $350 .

Gee it's good we seem to have that other stuff out of the way now.
We can concentrate on the scores, and a good job is being done there, thanks I appreciate the updates.

Good to see consistent low 200's getting wins. Must be tough out there, making sparing even more important than it already is. Great bowling.

Seems to me (maybe wrong, just started reading the thread and have only skimmed it) some of the very same bowlers complaining of easy tournys are now complaining of a difficult one!
:D ahaha

Lucky I am only a fringe bowler and not good enough to complain, oops I mean attend.

Good luck to all who are still bowling, especially the Queenslanders!

I'm an old fart but had a go and had a few re-entry attempts. It was tough as hell and i have been bowling about 6 years and i am only an average bowler. Sure telephone number scores were becoming the norm but it was one extreme to the other. I didn't give a toss if i bowled low scores but it was not a fun atmosphere ,more like a funeral than a bowling tourny. Bowlers were angry and cheesed off and some looked like they wanted to kill. And i can only imagine if any league bowlers were having their first shot at a tourney it might be their last one , who likes bowling 140s and 150s. And also it was not good for spectators , who likes watching a load of crap bowling. I think they might need a re think or more mediocre bowlers might give tourneys a miss.

I'm your average bowler, and I would much rather bowl a tournament with low scores than high scores. Why? Because it actually gives us average bowlers a chance to do well. We get to see the high ranked bowlers struggling as much as we do. So what if you bowl a 140 or a 150? Chances are the top bowler just scraped out a flat 200. What's the difference to when you bowl a 190, they bowl a 269 and you still have no hope in making the cut?

If the conditions are like this next year, put me down for it.

It's all well and good to sit back in your home and comment on who did what and why but really... who gives a toss. There is a thing called choice and it seems that some people want to take that liberty away from us.

For the record, I was out there as a spectator and a competitor.

You're right MickyD, we all have freedom of choice... but I choose to teach my kids by my words AND my actions (in all aspects of life, not just in sport) that when faced with adversity to keep your cool and never give up.

Tonx: If you withdrew due to injury after just 3 games because you had to throw a little firmer ballspeed then I suggest you look at your technique, start adding DIET Coke to your much loved Jim Beam and hit the gym! That was not a throw-away snide remark - I'm serious!

Geez i said a few pages ago about 'dweebs' sticking up for these conditions, ill just let them fire away and sit back and watch

Tonx: If you withdrew due to injury after just 3 games because you had to throw a little firmer ballspeed then I suggest you look at your technique, start adding DIET Coke to your much loved Jim Beam and hit the gym! That was not a throw-away snide remark - I'm serious!

Tonx has just come out of retirement
SO an event like this may have been a big ask with little or no preparation

Why the TBA selected someone to represent Australia that had retired is beyond me???

I notice that all the 'experts' on adjustments, lane conditions and ball layouts are logged in here during matchplay. Obviousy you guys have all the answers and it is not challenging enough for you to have a bowl and make matchplay.

Love having people who aren't there telling those who were how to bowl. The pattern played as a reverse block most of the time and scores were very dependant on when you bowled. Sunday morning scored a lot higher than any other time during the event. Bowling has become a contest of picking the right squad to bowl in and carrying enough bowling balls that you can find something that matches up, after all it seems that the lanes never play like the graph on the wall (making it a lot lottery for those flying in to have the right balls with them)

At the end of the day everyone had to bowl on it, but the format and conditioning has made the event a battle of luck and finances. The best bowler on the final day may win, however there is no gaurentee the best bowlers in the field were able to pay the price to make matchplay in the first place.

Quite why Andrew's withdrawal from the event has elicited so many responses is quite beyond me! He isn't the first bowler to withdraw from an event and he wont be the last. In every sport at every level, competitors sometimes withdraw for reasons that are obvious and important to them. I think personal attacks and questioning his ability are going a little far.

To put it in perspective; people are deriding a bowler who has had a break from the game for 6 months, picked up a ball 8 days ago to start training. 3 Days ago that bowler entered a tournament and upped their training to prepare. On the day of the event the bowler withdrew after a few games. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe that bowler pushed themselves a little too hard too soon and paid the price? It's something we see with elite athletes in all sports when returning from a break.

Nev: The TBA selection criteria is to select the top ranked adult and youth bowlers from the previous year. Andrew was selected because he finished the year as Australia's #1 male youth bowler. The word "retirement" shouldn't really come into play here as in reality the only major tournament he's missed was this year's Australian Open. Think of it as an off-season. Maybe, if he had spent the last 2 years sitting on a beach contemplating the universe, I could see an issue with his selection but as there is 8 months till the event I don't see what the problem is.

I'm very sorry I asked Jason what was happening, in the first place. I do suggest, however, that no normal balanced person could have predicted such an outburst of rude uninformed, judgmental hogwash.
You critics are judgmental about people setting examples? for juniors? for o/seas bowlers? for anyone at all?
Read your comments again. Setting examples ?????
OMG Hope they don't take your examples. Go back a few hundred years and you could burn witches, or join a lynch mob.
Frankly, your disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom