2008 Darrell Holt Tenpin Bowling Carnival

Peter Coburn

Sponsor
Wednesday 10th September 2008 – The second Darrell Holt Tenpin Bowling Carnival commenced today at Adelaide’s 32 lane AMF Cross Road bowl with near capacity squads throughout the day.

The early arrivals to this event this year include the participants of the first Darrell Holt Classic Challenge due to commence tomorrow morning. Teams from around Australia representing zones from North Queensland, South Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory and the “Fusion” invitational team will compete in two days of head to head competition.

All play in the Darrell Holt Classic Challenge is conducted on a scratch basis, with each player in each team competing in a minimum of nine (9) games over the duration of the tournament. Teams will bowl two complete rounds of matches over the duration of the tournament

Points in the tournament will be awarded to individual bowlers who outscore their immediate opposition in each game and two points to each team based on the highest scratch team total for each game. At the conclusion of both rounds of matches, the team having the highest number of points will be declared the Champion Team for the current year.

The team march out is scheduled for 9.00am tomorrow with an official opening by Mr Max Bastion from Bowling Balls Australia as the 2008 major sponsor.

Upcoming events include Saturday’s thirty-two 5-person team John Dobson Memorial “Welcome” Tournament, Classic Masters final, Darrell Holt Restricted Challenge and Restricted Masters final.

Photos, live scores and results available from the official website - www.holtchallenge.org.au

Really looking forward to Saturday night. 32 x 5 person teams there should be plenty of noise and great atmosphere.

What a fitting tribute to a great man John Dobson.

Good luck to all teams and bowlers competing in this Carnival expecially those competing in the Classic Challenge starting today. Enjoy yourselves and may all your shots be strikes.

It will be good to take time to congratulate the whole DH team for the success of this event. This pure vision was born by one man, Peter Coburn, and supported by Max and some of the people that wanted to see our game being enjoyed not only by our "Elite" few but also by the "Average" bowlers that contribute so much of their sanction money to support our beloved sport. I am confident this Carnival will be remembered for a long long time.
So, enjoy your time bowlers and have fun and remember winning is only a bonus.
Uphold the Spirit of Friendship and Fair Play. Good luck to all especially the Victorian team ;)
Regards,
Alex

I think we can even rustle up a picture of the monkey - yes, the SQ mascot monkey from last year - which has pride of place on the control counter...

After Day One of the Darrell Holt Classic Challenge the standings at the top of the ladder have it that it is anyone's competition with only 7 points covering the top five positions:

Pos, Zone, Points, Pins
1, New South Wales, 37.0, 5975
2, South Queensland, 36.0, 6259
3, Victoria, 36.0, 6137
4, Australian Capital Territory, 31.0, 5869
5, Fusion, 30.0, 5933
6, North Queensland, 28.5, 6076
7, Western Australia, 23.5, 6099
8, South Australia, 18.0, 5759
9, Tasmania, 15.0, 5804
10, Northern Territory, 14.0, 5215

At the half way mark the competition for the inaugural Darrell Holt Classic Challenge All Stars team (top 2 men and top 2 women only) heats up:

Pos, Bowler, Zone, Pins, Games, Average, Points,
1, GOSS Howard, NSW, 1181, 6, 196.83, 4
2, HART John, SQ, 1138, 6, 189.67, 5
3, EDWARDS Ivan, NQ, 1313, 7, 187.57, 5.5
4, HERRERO Jesus, WA, 1106, 6, 184.33, 3
5, BAKER John, WA, 1105, 6, 184.17, 3.5
6, MOTTA Jason, Vic, 1283, 7, 183.29, 4
7, FLOOD Clayton, SQ, 1258, 7, 179.71, 5
8, WEBSTER Jason, Fusion, 1256, 7, 179.43, 5
9, COBURN Ingrid, Vic, 890, 5, 178.00, 4
10, WEBSTER Pauline, Vic, 1238, 7, 176.86, 5

11, MALES Chris, Tas, 1237, 7, 176.71, 3
12, CUMMINS Christopher, Fusion, 1057, 6, 176.17, 4
13, SWAN Tillie, SQ, 1231, 7, 175.86, 4
14, NICHOLS Daryl, SA, 878, 5, 175.60, 2
15, CASHION June, Tas, 875, 5, 175.00, 4
16, HURST Brad WA, 1044, 6, 174.00, 3
17, BILLINGHAM Sandy, ACT, 1212, 7, 173.14, 7
18, GANE Wendy, NQ, 1196, 7, 170.86, 5

19, SWAN Alan, SQ, 854, 5, 170.80, 2
20, TITHERIDGE Chris, SQ, 1191, 7, 170.14, 5

Day Two commences at 9.00am Friday.

Victoria took the lead early in the day and were never headed. The battle for the minor places swapped many times during the day and due to the closeness of the scores the final order was not decided until the final frame.

Darrell Holt Classic Challenge Final Pointscore
Pos, Zone, Points, Pins
1, Victoria, 71.0, 12313
2, New South Wales, 65.5, 11874
3, Australian Capital Territory, 63.0, 11845
4, North Queensland, 62.5, 12136
5, South Queensland, 58.0, 12261
6, Fusion, 53.0, 11637
7, Western Australia, 51.5, 12213
8, Tasmania , 46.0, 11855
9, Northern Territory, 34.5, 10976
10, South Australia, 34.0, 11556

Capacity Singles, Doubles and Teams squads resume tomorrow in the lead up to the ever popular John Dobson Memorial Tournament (Welcome Tournament).

A capacity field of 32 five-person teams will compete in this event which, this year, was once again oversubscribed (36 entries received). In total $7200 in prize fund will be awarded tomorrow evening in a 3 game spectacle not often seen in bowling centres.

Firstly I would like to thank my fellow team mate's what a day and what a great victory to the Vic :groupwave::coolthumb: best day of my life . To the tournament team a job well done and to the staff at AMF a great job has been done. Well there is still more bowling to be done on Saturday at the welcome Squad should be a great night and the next challenge to start on Monday . To all Zone a great time to be had :bounce8::bounce8::bounce8:

Well done to the Victorian Holt Team on winning the first Holt Classic.
To Ingrid, Jeanette, Pauline, Gunther, Jason and Ray, what a great effort. Wish I had been there to celebrate with you. Maybe next time!
Keep up the great bowling over the next week.

:partytime2: :bounce8: :bounce8: :bounce8: :partytime2:

Firstly I would like to thank our sponsor BOWLING BALLS AUSTRALIA for your support and believing in the concept. To the Holt Tournament Team what a fantastic job you have done . To Sonia and her staff at AMF Cross Roads you have done a fantastic job. But to all of the bowlers that have participted these last few days thank you for making it GREAT!
To Victoria, CONGRATULATIONS ON OUR WIN.
I am proud to be called a team mate.

Jeanette Kent
Chairperson Of Holt Victoria

Well Done Vic Team
I was proud to be a part of it!
Thanks again to all the staff at Cross Road bowl and to the Tournament Committee, especially Jeff for keeping the Vic's moving and everyone else under control!
The party is still going on Jeanette and I have had our full deck of cowboys. Thanks to all those that contributed - we thankyou.

Now let's bring on the double Vic win for restricted - $3 Vodka's at the pub!

GO VICTORIA!

Yes, we will go home - with the Shield :)

Congratulations to the vic team. You certainly deserved the win.

To my fellow team mates in SQ I was so proud to have been a part of your team. You guys are just the best. I think you deserve a special medal for your drive and determination but most of all your sportsmanship. You may not kick butt but you certainly rub butt !! ;)

To all the other competitors you were an awesome bunch. Themore determined you were the friendlier you got. I am so glad I was a part of it all.

To the tournement team and the bowl you did an outstanding job.

For me the highlight was the fact that I got to say what I have been dying to say for years "HOME VICTORIA" :sofa:

Bring on the John Dobson Memorial now and good luck to all who are bowling the masters tomorrow.

Liz

Hi Broni - if you go to the holt website, click on Results (on the left hand side), then click on the tournament you find find individual results.

See you in ATBSO in a few weeks
brenda

Broni,

Individual Classic Challenge Scores and averages will be revealed after the dinner dance and once the All Stars Team have been announced.

Progressive All Events scores for the Darrell Holt Tenpin Bowling Carnival are updated and uploaded to the official website nightly.

Back
Top Bottom