2008 ACT Adult Squad

DrewC

For all those interested in representing the ACT at Rachuig next year or just trying something different to improve.

Merry Christmas all.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• ACT State Development Squad 2008.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 116
what happens if act can not come up with 7 men and 7 ladies who cant get the required 6 and 5 on the BEEP TEST?

what happens if act can not come up with 7 men and 7 ladies who cant get the required 6 and 5 on the BEEP TEST?

Depending on the numbers we will draft or not go and send a team again when we can, trust me 6 is not difficult to attain with a little bit of work.

Drew,
is this only going to apply to the ACT and national squad team selection in 2008 or is it applying to all other state teams selection this year?

2ndly does the ACT plan on introducing this selection process for all rep team selection (for junior president shield and youth) from now on ? If so will it be held in conjunction with the Rachuig squad schedule? or after Rachuig team have under gone this selection process?

3rdly is this only a trail? and limited to Rachuig ACT teams for 2008 and the future?

4thly is there any plans to grow from rep team development into a wider development program for interested parties?

hoping for a better supportive environment for all bowlers
Brad

Drew,
is this only going to apply to the ACT and national squad team selection in 2008 or is it applying to all other state teams selection this year?

2ndly does the ACT plan on introducing this selection process for all rep team selection (for junior president shield and youth) from now on ? If so will it be held in conjunction with the Rachuig squad schedule? or after Rachuig team have under gone this selection process?

3rdly is this only a trail? and limited to Rachuig ACT teams for 2008 and the future?

4thly is there any plans to grow from rep team development into a wider development program for interested parties?

hoping for a better supportive environment for all bowlers
Brad

HI Brad,

1) This will apply to ACT which feeds into the National program as it has used many of the measures which will be applied to the national squad, though some are watered down slightly.

2) Yes there are plans to develop similar squads for the other age group rep teams, however the timing will most likely be different due to the timing of the 3 tournaments.

3) No there is no limit to the people wanting to enter, if you want to be part of the squad to develop your game/fitness & knowledge but not enter into the roll off stage that is fine. However only squad members will be able to roll off for the representative team.

4) Depending on resources we may tap into some of the learnings from this squad to create a development squad, however at this stage there is the opportunity for anyone interested to participate in this squad. I have already had committments from people with lower averages so this is in no way restricted to the high ave players only and was not the intention.

This has been set up to hopefully move the ACT forward and create more competition for places in representative teams thus creating more depth and quality players to choose from, it is also tied closely with the National Training squad for those wanting to attempt to go to the next level. We do ask that people wanting to represent their state make a commitment to doing that and meet a few targets along the way. obviously we hope to learn from this year and refine future programs from the learnings.

Thanks for the questions hope this helps.

Cheers
Drew

Depending on the numbers we will draft or not go and send a team again when we can, trust me 6 is not difficult to attain with a little bit of work.
Better get those legs moving Nick! 6 is no big deal, but it will get your heart rate going. Even an old guy like me can hit 10! ;)

Just a thought, there may be some people aprehensive about nominating because of not being familiar with the fitness requirements as outlined in the forms.

Maybe to assist people with their understanding of the 'beep test' and the scores required, an explanation or a link to an explanation of the exercises and levels required would be in order.

Good point as I have received conflicting information, from my trainer who says that the New South Wales Police require a 6.1 to get in to the force, the Army says on their site they require a 7.1 to be classed as fit enough to cope with the training at Kapook and yet everyone seems to believe that 5 is a stroll in the park. Through some investigation I have, however, found that there are three tests, beginners, intermediate and advanced and there are 21 levels within the beep test and each level has levels within it so some of us are not entirely sure of the fitness level we are actually required to achieve.

Better get those legs moving Nick! 6 is no big deal, but it will get your heart rate going. Even an old guy like me can hit 10! ;)

Well at the National Youth Camp for Asian Youth Champs last year to pass was 6 and it's not that hard either. If jason can get 10 surely 6 is easy for you Nick.

Some interesting info from the web:

http://www.aminoz.com.au/shuttle-test-beep-test-calculator-calc-8.html

Beep Test:
The Multi-stage Fitness Test, more commonly called the Beep Test, is a commonly used and well-researched field test to measure cardiovascular endurance.

• This exercise is carried out on a flat, non-slip surface between two markers placed 20 metres apart. Applicants are required to run between the markers in time with a Compact Disc.
    Beginning at Level 1, applicants must progress through each level and the required number of laps to the minimum level required for their age and gender.
    For variety you can vary the distances of the shuttle runs. For example instead of 20m lengths extend to 30, 40, 50m sprints. However if you want to stay specific, 20m is adequate.
    For added challenge and benefit, complete shuttles in soft sand.
    LEVEL INTERVALS
    Level 1 9.00 Seconds
    Level 2 8.00 Seconds
    Level 3 7.50 Seconds
    Level 4 7.15 Seconds
    Level 5 6.80 Seconds
    Level 6 6.50 Seconds
    Level 7 6.25 Seconds
    Level 8 6.00 Seconds
    Level 9 5.75 Seconds
    Level 10 5.50 Seconds
    Level 11 5.30 Seconds
    N. B. These are approximate times allowed for each lap required in the particular level.

Physical Performance Evaluation (PPE) Guidelines - Training Guidelines
    BEEP TEST and STRENGTH TRAINING PROGRAM:

Do not attempt this program unless you are of above average fitness level and have been exercising for at least 6 months, and have consulted your health practitioner.
    Begin this program approximately 8 weeks prior to sitting your PPE.
    Physical Training Instructor tip: For variety you can vary the distances of the shuttle runs. For example instead of 20m lengths extend to 30,40,50m sprints. However if you want to stay specific then 20m is adequate. For added challenge and benefit, complete shuttles in soft sand.
    Shuttle Run (Beep Test) Standard – Required laps according to age and gender at the
    Physical Performance Evaluation
    Level Laps
    1 7
    2 8
    3 8
    4 9
    5 9
    6 10
    7 10
    8 11
    9 11
    10 11
    11 12
    12 12
    13 13
    14 13
    15 13

Shuttle Run Rates
    Males
    19 - 29 years level 10.1
    30 - 39 years level 9.1
    40 - yrs & over level 8.1
    Females
    19-29 years level 7.1
    30 yrs & over level 6.1

• From what I have found, it seems the test is the same but different levels are required (police, defence force etc specifiy their level requirements)

Angy

Hi All,

The information I have that is Angy is correct there is an old version and a new version of the beep test (slightly different recordings) but the basis of it is a 20 meter shuttle run in which you have to beat the beep in order to keep progressing. The intervals between beeps do get shorter the further into the test you progress (to a point).

We will be using the newer version available. There is no minimum level on the first day just do your best and that will give you your current level of fitness (based on that test). You then have 5 months to improve to the minimum levels required.

Hope this helps a little, cheers
Drew

Did you forget how to count in your "old age" Jason :p I kept running after you at Storm camp and I only got to 7.2 Haha. That aside I do agree with what you have said. Its good to finally see someone in the ACT trying to have a direction for future develpment within our little state.

Craigy

Just a quick reminder for all those wanting to enter the training squad entries close this Friday (1st Feb).

For those who already have their entries in and for those interested the first session (fitness assesments) will be at Weston Indoor Sports on the 9th at February kick off at 7.45am

Please contact Mike or myself for more details.

Cheers
Drew

Just wondering if there will be some form of confirmation of those people accepted for the squad, based on the premise that the first "event" is to be held next weekend. thanks

i have a quick question are these training sessions goin to be on ranked events because the first one is already booked on for perth youth cup.

Just wondering if there will be some form of confirmation of those people accepted for the squad, based on the premise that the first "event" is to be held next weekend. thanks

Hi Tina,

Entries don't close until today so do not have a final list yet. Keep an eye on the site but as already posted 9th Feb at Weston Indoor sports is where the fitness testing will take place. Bowling session will be 10th Feb at Tuggeranong starting 9am.

Cheers
Drew

Did you forget how to count in your "old age" Jason :p I kept running after you at Storm camp and I only got to 7.2 Haha. That aside I do agree with what you have said. Its good to finally see someone in the ACT trying to have a direction for future develpment within our little state.
Craigy
I'll have to check James' records now! See you in the core strength section then lad! ;)

Back
Top Bottom