2006 SA Restricted & Seniors Cup Results

JoSpencer

Hi everyone

Congratulations to winners of our Seniors Cup and Restricted Cup finals held last weekend:

Greig Lyas (Seniors Cup), Henry Ho (Mens Restricted Cup), and Lyn Hannam (Ladies Restricted Cup).

Well done to all who competed. Results are attached.

Jo

I would like to express the opinions of the vast majority of bowlers who competed in the Restricted Cup on Sunday afternoon.

To quantify before I go on..........this has absolutely nothing to do with how I bowled, when they invented the word "scrubber", it was done after someone had watched me bowl.

However, the conditions we were expected to bowl on were appalling. To have a State tournament, albeit a handicap event, with some lanes freshly oiled, some having 4 games on them and some with 8, prior to us throwing our first ball was nothing short of absolute lack of care, respect & regard by Noarlunga Bowl.

Then to have some lanes continually break down with balls not returning, pinspotters continually cycling with missing pins & etc - just goes to endorse what I have said above about the lack of care etc.

I for one, will not be back, it is no wonder Noarlunga is losing league bowlers to Marion.

Max
NB> Congratulations to Henry (good gear mate, :))and Lyn.

Max and all concerned bowlers

I have had a full report from Tracy Howie regarding the tournament on Sunday and it is very disappointing to say the least.

I would like to let all bowlers know that this sort of treatment will not be looked upon favourably by us when it comes down to considering venues for future Tenpin SA run events.

We will endeavour to give our business to those centres who are prepared to offer us what we require and that is GOOD ALL ROUND service to make it an enjoyable experience for the bowlers as well as the tournament team running the events.

Thank you

Regards

Jo Babic

To the tournament committee of the Restricted Cup.

I know I wasn't there so I can't comment on the lanes and how they were on the day so I'm not doing that!! I know that noarlunga has a reputation to be a centre where the lanes are very up and down as well has having break downs etc.

Anyway, just thought I would ask though did anyone on the tournament committee ask the centre to get the lanes washed and oil or was it assumed knowledge that they will be done automatically?? The reason I ask this is becuase noarlunga just held its 30 game marathon this weekend and we asked for the lanes to be washed and oiled before the tournament and half way through the tournament and there were - no questions asked.

I know that the centre should know that before a tournament the lanes should be washed and oiled but at the same time in defence to the centre they aren't mind readers therefore I would have thought that when holding a tournament you would need to tell them what you require so that it can be provided in the best possible way.

Just my thoughts (I await the backlash!!!!!!!!!)

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

shouldn't have to ask david, they should know better.........

cheers

Tony

P.S. Mind you being a tournament run by the TBAL of S.A. isn't there a set criteria for their tournament.....? curious!!

To the tournament committee of the Restricted Cup.
I know I wasn't there so I can't comment on the lanes and how they were on the day so I'm not doing that!! I know that noarlunga has a reputation to be a centre where the lanes are very up and down as well has having break downs etc.
Anyway, just thought I would ask though did anyone on the tournament committee ask the centre to get the lanes washed and oil or was it assumed knowledge that they will be done automatically?? The reason I ask this is becuase noarlunga just held its 30 game marathon this weekend and we asked for the lanes to be washed and oiled before the tournament and half way through the tournament and there were - no questions asked.
I know that the centre should know that before a tournament the lanes should be washed and oiled but at the same time in defence to the centre they aren't mind readers therefore I would have thought that when holding a tournament you would need to tell them what you require so that it can be provided in the best possible way.
Just my thoughts (I await the backlash!!!!!!!!!)
THANKS
DAVID SNIEDZE

Exactly Tony

As I stated before, it shows a TOTAL LACK OF CARE, RESPECT AND REGARD by Noarlunga Bowl.

How dare they produce such CRAP conditions without more than a HUGE excuse for doing so. They should not have to be asked, it should be DONE.

Max

And I agree totally.

It should be something that is done as an automatic by the centre. BUT did the tournament committee cover themselves by making sure that this was going to happen??

In saying this too, Noarlunga Bowl has had a lot and I mean a lot of staff changes over the past 12 months. Both front end and back end staff. There has been 3 different managers in the last 12 months alone.

The other thing I will have to say is Noarlunga is a Bowling Centre that very rarely gets tournaments such as Restricted Cup or Roll Off type tournaments. When was the last time the centre held a roll off for De-Veer or Rachuig?? Ok granted if the conditions are going to be like they supposidly were on that weekend (only going by hear say as I wasn't there) then I can understand that TBA would be reluctant to go back to the centre to hold another tournament. However, in the meantime the centre goes about its business thinking it is doing the right thing, staff turnover as they do, etc etc. Then when suddenly a tournament is going to be run at Noarlunga Bowl the staff working at the centre at the time the tournament is run don't have a clue or the experience with such tournaments to run them efficiently.

Maybe TBA should look at this when deciding on venues in the future, maybe liaise with the centre and see what the do and don't understand about holding such tournament(s) and work with them to make sure that the tournament can be a success rather than a failure and to add fuel for someone to bitch and moan and groan about the conditions of that centre on this forum??

If it helps any?? I will take this thread to the next committee meeting and raise the issue.

Just my thoughts (I await the next onslaught)

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

David,

No backlash, just some concerns.

If staff turnover has been so high, I wonder why? What is causing so much turnover, including three managers in the last three months? There is one common demoniator..... If this common denominator doesn't fix their problems, then the standard of the bowling will deteriorate and may even go out of busiess (just look at the difference in Salisbury Bowl now compared to 2 years ago).

Also, a business should be able to be run without relying on one individual. We all know that good people really make a business hum but if they go, it shouldn't stop the basics happening. For example, why are there not tournament procedures which state at the start "go to SATBA and get the lane condition requirements"?

Could go on but you get the gist. This is not a reflection of the hardworking people out there but more a question on the overall management

Des

David

Perhaps the Noarlunga Tenpin Bowling Association (which represents TBA at Noarlunga), and that you are a part of, might like to actually get involved in "Home" events rather than leave it up to 'everyone else'.

Hmmmm, quick to point fingers aren't we David in your perfect little world.

You don't put a lot of thought into your posts quite clearly do you!

Jo

well you were right about the onslaught, peronally i think The norlunga association should have been involved in a home event but it doesn't excuse The tournament committee for not checking as the over all responsiblity for the tournament is theirs

also jo pointing fingers people who can't be there due to other commitments is uncalled for it doesn't help anything

So you are saying that it is upto me to do everything for the association. I DON"T THINK SO JO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always been there when I can.

If you have some concerns with that JO don't blame it on me. Why don't you put your concerns in writing and send them to the association and we will try to address the problem. I know that there wasn't anyone at the tournament on that day and it does disappoint me as I wasn't available on the day otherwise I would have been there!!!!

As for your PERFECT little world JO things don't just happen these days. Maybe 20 years ago when we have the ATBC there were set procedures in place for holding tournaments.

I do know that if the centre was asked to oil the lanes then I don't see why they wouldn't have done it for you.

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

it doesn't excuse The tournament committee for not checking as the over all responsiblity for the tournament is theirs

That is UTTER RUBBISH Andrew.

You hire a rental car....is it your responsibility to make sure there is oil in the sump? NO............

You rent a home....is it your responsibility to make sure the toilet flushes? NO..........

You hire a bowling centre......is it your responsibility to make sure the lanes have been properly prepared and the machinery functions as it should? NO AGAIN............

It is called DUTY OF CARE and in this instance, there was none shown toward either the tournament committee or competitors.

Max

I was there early sunday morning and they did oil the lanes before we started the Seniors Cup.
The condition wasn't great (did I hear anyone say 'reverse block') as usual.
Sure there was a odd break-down, as usual.
However, I have bowled on considerably less playable conditions than that.
They would not have re-oiled before the restricted started but there was only 6 men in the open, so I'm not surprised about that.

I will admit that noarlunga lanes aren't as good as they use to be. As you know I worked there a few years ago on Saturdays and Sundays as the mechanic. I know the lanes,Pinsetters and I know the oiling machine plus now I'm sure there using that lovely Kegel Oil ??? .
Noarlunga is what can I say "Noarlunga". Not much you can do with it without spending a few dollars.
Yes greig usually a reverse block there.
A centre that need a bit of work and a good mechanic.........Sorry I'm busy these day's and usually dont work for peanuts.
If they did oil I agree yes if there was only 6 bowlers in the first squad then you shouldn't need to re oil.

My advice....shift the tournament to a more updated centre.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, I don't have a problem with not re-oiling, what I have an issue with is 3 different conditions on 3 adjoining sets of lanes.

For the amount of effort involved in running the oiling machine over 2 or maybe 3 pairs, it should have been done as a courtesy to the competitors.

utter rubbush you say, well i'd prefer to check the oil stump rather than have no oil, same as bowling you can't just blame one group when three groups of people missed a mistake. i mean would it have been that hard for TBA or the association to check the oil conditions before the start time
Duty of care you say assuming i say and that normally makes and ass or you and me

Jo as a committee member of the noarlunga association I take offence with your comments about us not being at the restricted cup tournament. Yes it might have been "nice" to have someone there but it wasn't our tournament to start with and perhaps we had other things to do that day. I for one had to travel towards the city to drop my son off to visit his father. With the price of petrol nowdays I was not going to traipse all the way back to Noarlunga to return later in the day again. To do that would have been around 100km of travel. Some people may well be able to afford to do that in a day but myself as a single parent can not.

As for the comment made by someone (not sure who) about Noarlunga and our having had 3 managers in the past year doesn't that say something about the selection procedures used by AMF. The current manager IMO is trying his best, he doesn't have a bowling background but at least he is trying which is a 200% improvement on the previous manager. Hopefully things can only improve with some stability on the management side and with some financial input the equipment etc might be more reliable also.

Andrew, I wasn't pointing the finger at David, I was merely saying He is quick to point fingers - please read posts more carefully in future.

Everyone (well David and Andrew) seems to be making an assumption against the tournament committee for "not checking or arranging the lane conditions". Once again how quick everyone is to judge.

No more will be said by me on this topic. If you have genuine constructive comments please email me directly. We can do no more than I have already stated in that we will endeavour in future to take our business to those centres who are prepared and willing to assist us in all areas of hosting a home event.

Regards

Jo

Yes it might have been "nice" to have someone there but it wasn't our tournament to start with and perhaps we had other things to do that day.

It is a requirement of all centre associations to provide assistance at home events. You may say "Not one of your tournaments", every TBA event held at the home centre should be considered YOUR tournament and assistance will be needed in the future.

I'm sure the volunteers who drove from ELIZABETH and were at Noarlunga before 8:30am that day would have preferred to be "doing other things".

"Perhaps the Noarlunga Tenpin Bowling Association (which represents TBA at Noarlunga), and that you are a part of, might like to actually get involved in "Home" events rather than leave it up to 'everyone else'."
not pointing fingers well i'll take your word for it,
at woodville basically what i'm tyring to get at is when we ran the doubles we had a checklist that had to be ticked off before we started the first squad, it went from ensuring the lanes were oiled and ready to go (i'd spoken with them a coup[le of weeks before had to remind them) to having the urn on for coffee, prizes and certificates were ready etc, that way we didn't get any nasty surpises on the day and the whole day was enjoyable for everyone we only had a couple of breakdowns which were fixed as soon as possible,

Back
Top Bottom