2006 Nationals

bm2

I'm still standin'
Now that the nationals are over for another year and everyone has returned home, we just wanted to say thank you to a whole bunch of people -

To the locals at Moonah, the staff at the bowl, the volunteer lanemarshalls, Androo in the proshop - the hospitality that was shown to us was second to none, and all of us were made to feel at home, and no request too hard to fill wherever possible. Granted, Tassie didn't exactly put the greatest weather on for our stay, but lots of people got to see snow for what could have been the first and only times in their lives, and we all got good wear out of our team jackets and winter woollies!

The TBA tournament team - Peter, Ronda, John and their helpers - again another well run event, with most of the squads running to time, or only slightly late, and only minimal lane disruptions, which in itself is a pretty amazing feat! The time and effort that the 3 of you put into this event year after year is truly amazing, and appreciated by the majority of us who travel to the nationals to join you every year! Whilst some quarters have whinged about the lane conditions, (and you will always get that), a pattern was put down that was playable by bowlers on both sides of the lanes - nobody had a greater advantage than anyone else: left or right, state or territory.

Also, thank you for sticking behind Walter De Veer as much as you have over the last few years - you have pushed to keep this event in the calendar, and I truly feel that this years challenge was probably one of the best yet. The sportsmanship between all the states was great, and the fact that you opted to put in the draft team to erradicate the bye game added a little extra spice when the other teams realised that we weren't just there to make up the numbers, we were having a "crack at the crockery" the same as everyone else. It was a little disappointing that the TBA Chairperson wasn't able to attend so that he could see for himself that the enthusiasm and the spirit of fair play still runs very high within WDV. It would be a shame for this event to be lost :(, and we hope that the board views it favourably for the coming years.

Thank you too, Iann Nichols, for the most comprehensive scoring system that any bowler or spectator could wish for - make it so much easier for post-tournament analytical exercises , not to mention for those watching at home...frame by frame scoring is almost like being there!!!

For and on behalf of the members of TEAM TBA - we thank you for the opportunity to play in the draft team. TBA took the names of 14 people who really didn't know each other out of a hat, and with no internal politics or axes to grind, let us organise ourselves to become 2 teams who gave the rest of Australia as good as they got. It was a real privilege to bowl my final WDV in this team, and I would like to sincerely thank Sue, Gina, Janet, Jeanette, Vikki and Aileen, not to mention the fellas, Rob, Peter, John, CJ, Michael, Joseph and Manny for their efforts, support and teamsmanship during the course of our championships and time in Hobart.=D> =D> =D>

Bronni & Jagga,
I am pleased that you enjoyed your 2006 Nationals experience.
On behalf of the TBA board I would like to thank all of the bowlers who took the time to attend and compete in this event.
In relation to your comment regarding my non attendance at the WDV tournament, I would like to apologise for not being able to attend, however I would like to point out that the role of TBA chairman is purely a volunteer role and as such I have a full time job. I was also the coach of the ACT Rachuig team and was required to be in Hobart for the Rachuig tournament.
Having said that I have attended many WDV tournaments in past years and I am well aware of the enthusiasm and the spirit of fair play that the WDV tournament is played under.
Regards
Mike

On behalf of Bowling Balls Australia, I would like to thank all our loyal customers for coming into the proshop for a look around, to say hi and most importantly, let us give you the service that you require.

It was tough the first couple of weeks, due to having to spend the first half of the day at my fulltime job, but in my eyes, with what time I could spend in the shop, it was an honour to be able to help in what way I could.

Special thanks must go to Max, Cheryl Munson and lil Kait for their help. Certainly made my job easier when it was time for me to bowl :)

As Secretary and Manager of the Australian Defence Ten-Pin Bowling Association/Team, I'd also like to take the chance to thank and applaud all members involved in a great Tournament. It's often quite difficult to get a team together to attend the Nationals due to circumstances, more often than not, out of our control, but for those members that do make it, we find the atmosphere great and competition even greater.
It was good to see our guys finish in some top postions as well. 1st in the A Grade Teams, 2nd in B Grade Singles and a 1st in B Grade All Events.
Once again, thanks goes to all involved both on and off the lanes. See you again next year.

i cant wait till the next nationals, espically juniors. As well thx to the people who made these nationals as wicked as they were

On behalf of Bowling Balls Australia, I would like to thank all our loyal customers for coming into the proshop for a look around, to say hi and most importantly, let us give you the service that you require.

It was tough the first couple of weeks, due to having to spend the first half of the day at my fulltime job, but in my eyes, with what time I could spend in the shop, it was an honour to be able to help in what way I could.

Special thanks must go to Max, Cheryl Munson and lil Kait for their help. Certainly made my job easier when it was time for me to bowl :)
Androo u guys did an awesome job i know thanked u down there but i really appericated the help u and max gave me with altering the surfaces of my gear.

As someone who was at their first adult nationals I can say except for my skill level (or lack of) on the lanes i had a blast down there and cant wait for melbourne next year.

The tournament team had an absolute blast looking after Nationals again this year, especially the De Veer Challenge. The De Veer opening ceremony was amazing with 200 bowlers, coaches and managers on the approach dancing the nutbush. Not to mention the NSW Blues Brothers and SpeedBumps embarrassment at leaving the team mascot locked in his car boot in Brisbane. With a revised format for this event on the horizon the tournament team will continue to support the De Veer Challenge regardless of it's destiny. Providing an event for the grass roots bowlers and having fun doing so gave us so much enjoyment. This event is the highlight and the reason why we give up 3 months of our time preparing and looking after Nationals.

Prior to the first squad on the Wednesday morning we had received over 1800 paid entries and knowing that we would receive significant “on the day” entries we looked forward to a successful event. After the final championship squad we had received 2311 entries (in comparison to 2290 entries in 2005). Over the 18 days of competition 12,385 games were bowled and we had paid the centre $68,117.50 in lineage. Not to mention the significant food and drink sales, the host centre must have been very happy with our presence.

Overall entries were up slightly from last year and I can put this down to the fact that we included a makeup team in De Veer this year. Prior the arrival of the Rachuig teams to Moonah we were nearly 900 games ahead of the lineage recorded at the same time the previous year. However the trend did not continue as the entries from the Rachuig, Open and Classic grade bowlers was very disappointing. What originally looked like being a record year slumped to be 300 games short of last year’s lineage and in contrast with the ATBSO result, which improved by 10%. In all we cancelled 5 squads during the Rachuig week due to lack of interest.

In total 517 bowlers from around the country competed and compared to 568 in 2005. The championship prize fund payouts were distributed at the Rachuig dinner dance in accordance with the entry form and TBA Rule Book schedule. I believe that with the prize fund cheques being handed out at the dinner dance this was a first and a far cry from before this tournament team took on this event when it took from 3 to 12 months to get these out. With the help of advanced tournament software, webscores and Retailer Manager accounting software we were easily able to achieve this service. The prize fund cheques for those not at the Rachuig dinner dance were mailed on the 31st October 2006 once we returned to Melbourne.

Total prize pool to be distributed from the championship was $17,105. The highest single payout was $595.00.

Full championship results, all 12,385 games, were made available on the TBA website prior to leaving Moonah and at the conclusion of the event. On average this website attracts 10,000 page hits per day.

For the period 8th October to 30th October, 2006 the TBA website attracted 556,650 page views.

This result was 100,000 views less than last year. Rachuig views were markedly down (-26%) while the DeVeer views increased by an amazing 39% showing that the A Grade and lower bowlers around the country are attracted to this event. ATBSO Open Challenge attracted similar page views to Rachuig indicating that the 50+ age group are on the Internet.

My thanks must go to John Dobson, Ronda Hatchard, Simon Commane, Ian Nicholls, Aline Martin, Barry Davies, all the staff at AMF Moonah and the event sponsors (AMF Bowling Australia, Events Tasmania, Club and Granada Hotels, Fosters Tasmania, McDonalds, Bowling Balls Australia, VIP Home Cleaning Services & Barry Davies) for their contribution to a very successful event.

This team provide a professionally run event for all to enjoy and with the use of technology unequalled anywhere around the world.

Seeing that the Nationals was a great success, I am hoping that it doesnt take another 15 Years to get back to Tasmania.

On behalf of the Whole Tasmanian Bowling Community, well done to all involved and thank you to all the Competitors that went out of their way to cross Bass Strait and participate in this years Event. For such a small stretch of water, it can be a very expensive exercise.

Cheers

Thanks for all the help in the proshop drooo and max... oh and kait, pleasure meeting you all for the first time and putting a face to the name!!! See yous all again maybe next year!!
R

Peter,

Congratulations must go to the tournament team for another very well run event, no denying you do a marvelous job. Congratulations also on having the cheques available as quickly as you did that was great too. Whats not too flash are the references to how it was run in the past. What you had then was a group of people struggling to give this sport an NSO. These people put their personal lives on hold not to mention often having to invest their own money to keep the sport of Tenpin Bowling alive in this country. It is perfectly fair to sing ones own praises but to stand on someone elses back while you do it is a but rough.
I'm not belittling the work and sacrifices you or your team have done and made but please try to recognise the work that has gone into getting the TBA on its feet and in the decent position it is in today.

Regards,

Drew

Drew

You have misinterpretated my point. What a lot of people do not realise is that the current team are also unpaid volunteers who take up to 3 months a year off work every year to bring the country's bowlers these events. This is no different to years gone by.

However, it does not take 3 months to collect the results, calculate the prize funds payable then write 250+ cheques and by using the latest technology we were able to achieve this.

I was in no way belittling those involved when TBA was in it's early days.

What a great tournament!

Firstly, thanks to the guys behind the scenes. These guys put in so much effort into the event, and their results speak for themselves.

To little Kaitlyn; mate, you a legend! The ball is great, and give 5 years, and you will be the best ball driller in this country! What a superstar!

The Tassie boys and girls are possibly the greatest people in the world. Their personalities, friendliness, and down right great attitudes made my first trip to Tasmania a fantastic experience.

My only suggestion for future events, is to organise the schedule for the masters a little closer to when people can bowl their all events. Even though I qualified for the Masters, It was entirely out of the question for me to fork out flights, accommodation, and entry fee for the event.

Apart from that, Job well done..

BRING ON ALTONA next year!

I think everyone has already said everything...
A big thanks to everyone who helped run such an incredible tournament. Everything was fantastic and made my first nationals as a "big girl" a lot of fun.
Thanks heaps to Old Man and the rest of his crew who work their butts off to hold such an incredible tournament. You guys have done a brilliant job yet again, this time in one of the smallest tournament rooms Ive ever seen. Well done!
Another big thanks to all the staff at Moonah - both counter, cafe and the techs. All you guys worked really hard and it was good to see. The cafe staff make good ham, cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches too haha!! :D
Max, Droo and Kait - Your work in the proshop was outstanding. There was always someone there to help out customers, and nothing was too much of a hassle. Thanks for Kermit too. He is very pretty and the Bronze enjoys his company :)
Lastly - thanks to all the bowlers. The tournament would never have gone ahead without all of you. It was great to meet a lot of new people, catch up with others and watch you all throughout various stages of the week.

Cant wait to do it all again next year
Jen

You did a good job peter getting the results out and online as quick as you did as far as the seniors go that I was involved with. Helping the Atbso committee paying out all the events on the dinner night, which was fantastic. This must have helped them immensely, which would have freed them up to work on other areas.
It's been over 4 weeks since the Masters, I just cant believe it would take so long to work out and send some cheques. We still haven't received them as yet. They say as well as yourself that it does take over a month to work things out, (Why, I don't know these days with technology) but hopefully we will see it soon.

cheers

Tony
P.S. The seniors did put on a good show overall, well done to all involved including the committee.

Firstly, I'd just like to congratulate the stirling efforts of the TBA people for running the event in the professional manner they did, also to the staff at Moonah - absolutely fantastic job!
The backend crew, the counter and cafe staff all handled the job very efficiently right through the ATBSO to the end of the TBA Masters without skipping a beat.
It was great to meet a lot of new people, certainly wonderful to finally meet a lot of people I've known from chatting with both on here and MSN over the years and to finally put faces to the names.

Tonx, it was great to finally catch up with ya mate, that drinking session was a classic, especially someone's reaction to a taxi driver being two hours late :lol:
I thoroughly enjoyed my first Nationals after a 12 year absence and hopefully I will be there in Melbourne again next year. Loved it!

Just on that, I would like to publicly thank Aline Martin for the job that she did getting my back into decent order after it popped out again.
I feared I might miss the rest of the year and part of next year, but thankfully, even though it put an end to my Nationals, with all the hard work she put into fixing it, after ten days it was fine and I could resume bowling unhindered.
Thankyou very, very much Aline - if you are reading this :D

Congratulations to all the winning teams in the ATBSO, Walter De Veer and Rachuig.
Also a big congratulations to Mac Stewart and Jayde Flanagan on winning the Masters.
Thankyou to everyone who made the journey down here to play, you even got to see snow in the city, in October.
Thankyou to Peter Gardiner and the staff at Laetare Gardens for the great De Veer and Rachuig dinners held there, lovely setting and the best meals ever!

Let's hope we don't have to go another 15 years without the tournament being held here. ;)

Tonx, it was great to finally catch up with ya mate, that drinking session was a classic, especially someone's reaction to a taxi driver being two hours late :lol:

Twas a good night wasnt it...the reaction to the taxi driver being late definatly wins shut down of nationals 06 lol. Glad I was there for it :D

With a revised format for this event on the horizon the tournament team will continue to support the De Veer Challenge regardless of it's destiny.
When will we get the detail of the revised format? There are increasing rumours that De Veer will continue but lose its State Team status and change to a Regional or Local comp.
If there is to be a change from the present format at the 2007 Nationals the State Bodies really need to know now.

Back
Top Bottom