2 weeks - 3 weekends of majors?

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
At the Adelaide airport a few people were tossing around the idea of having the AMF Super 6 Perth event on the weekend before the Perth Cup (therefore moving Bunbury to another month) and then backing up after Perth and bowling Melbourne.

He is the proposed schedule, what are bowlers feedback on this? Is it too much for 3 weekends or does it present good value for the Interstaters looking at travelling to all 3 which could be done on 1 flight??

I know the tournament organisers would appreciate your feedback.....

Weekend no.1. AMF Super 6 event No.3 - Cannington Cup 24th/25th May
Weekend no.2. Perth Tenpin Cup - Fairlanes 31st May, 1st/2nd June
Weekend no.3 Melbourne Cup - Ed Fleming Lanes 7th/8th/9th June

I'm all for it but I see one problem is that the Arafura Games are on the first weekend. I vote yes!

*Isn't Qld Cup on 24 & 25 May too????"

sorry, just rechecked the calendar, and it has gone to "to be confirmed".....silly me! :D

It looks like that it could be a great idea. But the problem could be bowlers getting three weeks of work. I would like this to happen and vote yes. But I would think AMF would have to confirmation from bowlers that can arrange the time off to compete otherwise it would be a flop. People would just go to Victoria for Melbourne Cup.

Sounds Good George.
:)

Yes I agree with it being a major problem for alot of bowlers to get the time away from work. When you take into consideration the expenses of accomodation for that amount of time and of coarse other things, I know I would only have two chances of bowling it. Buckleys and None. The idea sounds great and if I didn't need to work I would be there.

Accomadation in Perth.

For starters you don’t need 3 weeks off.
Your schedule could look like this.
NON-Melbourne competitor, Fly to Perth Friday Night 23rd May.
Bowl Super Six 24th-25th May. Stay in Perth until Monday 2nd or Tuesday 3rd June (after Perth Cup) Fly to Melbourne, bowl 7th-9th June, Fly home Monday evening or Tuesday. A total of 11 working days if you fly home Tuesday. (Taking into account Public hols on 9th June)
Melbourne Bowlers can do this with only 6 working days off.
I am also sure that most bowlers would be able to be put up during the weekends of the 2 tournaments, during the week may be a bit harder for obvious reasons.
If you are really considering this as a three-weekend in-a-row marathon, contact Sue at Fairlanes, Shane at Cannington and ask if they can help out with billeting. I am sure George, Brenton, Douglas Mortimer and Andrew Frawley have started to make arrangements already, just in case
And just for the record I think is is a good idea, however next year move the super six to the now open Rosemount Cup weekend, (3 days)

This same point was brought up in the 'Airfares' topic. I think its a good idea for states to have a bowling week. Something along the lines of having a couple of major tournaments grouped close together so interstate bowlers can make it into 2 majors in the same week as apposed to having to travel twice to enter the same tournament at the moment.

If each state was to take there best 2 tournaments and put them at the start of one week and the other at the end of the week you might find that more interstate bowlers can make the trip. Apart from making it a great way to have a holiday and catch up with friends, I know I would like to be able to go up against the best in the country during a week of bowling.

Taking it one step further, you could then have a combined result from the 2 tournaments to find the best bowler for the week.

Anyway it looks like alot of people are in favour of the multiple tournament setup, so I think it should be looked into for the future.

RE: 2 Majors over two consecutive weekends or 3?

George

:idea: That seems like a good idea. As long as you could get the time off work at that time it would be ideal. It certainly would encourage more people to bowl in WA, and because of the recent cancellation of the Rosemount Cup give everyone a chance to bowl against the best over in the west.

The only problem I foresee is the overall cost of your proposal. Living in Melboune the only cost to me for the final leg is the entry fee for the Melbourne Cup. However to venture to Perth for the period will mean both airfares and a weeks worth of accommodation. I have a spare room at my place so if any one can reciprocate to save on the accomodation they should let me know.

If Virgin Blue had their mid week fares still available then it would mean probably from the Wednesday before the first tournament through to the Tuesday after the second tournament for accomodation. Up to eight days off work. To get 2 $170 one way flights. Throwing in the three $300 odd dollar tournament entry fees brings it to $1240 dollars without accomodation costs.

Of course a holiday is always great, and maybe it would work the first year or two but how many holidays does someone want to take to the same place.

There is merit in your proposals though. I just bowled in the Cairns Open and if another tournament had have been on around the same time, say the Arafura in Darwin for example, it would have been a lot more attractive for more people to bowl. Maybe they could encourage the Cairns Open to shift to a time slot closer to the Queensland Cup or the Arafura Classic.

By the way although the SA cup is a Super 6 event, for all those wishing to know more about the Cairns Open which ran on the same weekend let me know and I will provide you with some info about it.

One thing that this tournament setup might provide is a means to attract some sponsors that may help to offset some of the costs.

What do any of you other bowlers think? Are there any more ideas, or suggestions. By the way I would also vote Yes. :)

By the way my finger has recovered and I am as you guessed bowling competitively. I don't know whether to tempt fate with the Rachuig again though. Twice I've bowled and twice I've had to withdraw injured.

Regards
Jockey

TIME OFF ?

How many people are willing to take time off work to travel to a tournament?

What prize incentives would be required to fill a tournament field?

The reason I ask is because there is one option that has not been mentioned her - MID WEEK TOURNAMENT.

I see no reason why two majors can't be held in one week. One Tues to Thurs the other Fri-Sat-Sun.

Not necessarily in the same bowling alley, but hopefully geographically close.

PBA, PWBA and MASTERS style tournaments often are run mid-week.

An addition incentive to the bowl is that they can use their traditional low-lines period for the tournamnets while still running evening leagues and attracting weekend social and practice bowlers.....

Simply food for thought.

BROWNY

Back
Top Bottom