Wow - 24 years gone, yet the faces are the same

John_Velo

Hi All,

I started bowling three weeks ago after a 24 year layoff. I guess the love for the sport never went away, but life circumstances made it hard and a low priority.

Walking away was difficult many years ago, growing up in bowling centres as my dad chased tournaments around the east coast of Australia from when I was born until the age of 20.

Now the bug has hit me again as circumstances have changed for the good.

Looking back to the past and to now it is quite funny. The lanes are no longer timber, the balls are no longer black and rubber. Technology has really stepped up and it's awesome. Maybe a little ego inflating at how it is all a little easier now. But you still need to have some form of skill level to go from centre to centre and compete and repeat. The strikes maybe easier, but the spares still need to be picked up.

There are so many name from Juniors that I remember, the faces a little older but the Doust's and Bottemely's are all still there, to faces from my dad's bowling is like a trip back in time, like the Lovell's and Allsopp's. It's a real buzz.

For me now it's just fun with the lovely wife to have a bowl once a week. I can see that changing, three weeks back and I have just bought my second ball. These Reactive things hit like a truck and I can feel the urge to compete looming large.

Now to bowl my first 300!

Regards, John Velo

Hi Joe

I can't believe it
I used to watch you as a kid and loved your accuracy
I could never work out how you Bowled as a wrong footer
Chris Batson is still Bowling a Bit here and there and is
currently the National Coach
I ran into Sam theokolis a few years ago, he was doing well
The Nationals are on in a couple of weeks in Sydney at the
new Rooty Hill complex, fantastic location
Get your teeth into that Joe, love to see you there
Hope to run into you at Strikezone oneday
Great to see one of our legends of the sport back

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to dissapoint, that would be dad.

Mind you I believe if he walked into a centre again he would pobably have another crack. The owners at Shellharbour Bowl have been asking him to drop in for long time. He tell me at 78 he is too old.

He donated his last 300 ball to them a few weeks ago when I started again.

I have been doing some research and can't believe the faces that are still around. I can't wait to show Mum and Dad some of the people I have found on the web like Chris Batson.

For me it is like a step back in time, I can only imagine how it would be for Dad. The hours he spent with those guys over the years.

Thanks for remembering Dad,

John Velo

Hey John, probably dont remember me, but I made my first cut at Leichhardt in 1984 with Joe, around the same time he was winding down his career. He never ceased to amaze me with his accuracy and tenacity.

Welcome back to the sport.

Hey Brenton-as my Pin Action(sorry John this went south in 1991!) aided memory tells me you won that one too!

Hi Brenton,

I remember a lot of the names. It is a real buzz hearing and seeing what people have been doing over the years in bowling. It is really nice to see how successful some of the old faces have been. Bowling in the 70's and 80's you learnt how to bowl and make do with what you had. If the guys back then where good in the tougher conditions, they must be really loving all the new kit now.

Dad's career was long and ended shorter than he would have liked. Mainly due to a centre owner calling dad a cheat, he thought stuff you, see you around, his balls went into shed and he never went back. You know, when he finished up he had a 218 league average in 1986 with a rubber ball.

The last time we bowled together was in 1986 it was a hoot. We bowled doubles in the local three game ITBA championship, dad bowled a 680 something I bowled a 700 and something. It was great. He always reminds me of the day I finally got one up.

Over the years I must have bowled a few thousand games against dad in practice. I could count how many times I beat him on one hand and still have some fingers free after the count. That would also be the number of time I saw him miss a spare or his spot. He was like a bloody machine and could not work out why I could not hit the same spot two balls in a row.

Funny now looking back at it, pretty ****ty living it though.

Thanks for the comments, it's great.

John Velo

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to dissapoint, that would be dad.

Mind you I believe if he walked into a centre again he would pobably have another crack. The owners at Shellharbour Bowl have been asking him to drop in for long time. He tell me at 78 he is too old.

He donated his last 300 ball to them a few weeks ago when I started again.

I have been doing some research and can't believe the faces that are still around. I can't wait to show Mum and Dad some of the people I have found on the web like Chris Batson.

For me it is like a step back in time, I can only imagine how it would be for Dad. The hours he spent with those guys over the years.

Thanks for remembering Dad,

John Velo

Hi John

I am sorry for doing that

I was excited to see the name and immediately
thought wow he is making a come back

I have many great memories of watching your dad and
bowling with, more like against, him in things
I was 11 when i saw hime the first time in the South Pacfic finals

He is an absolute legend and sparing was something bowlers
like him prided themselves on, sadly not so much for the breed today

Pleas give Dad my best

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Don't be silly. It's all good.

I had a laugh with the Warren the owner at Shellharbour Bowl a week back.

He called me John. Now that was funny to hear as I was only ever known as Joe's Son or Junior.

Again thanks, bowling feels like coming home, just the hair is now grey and the body aches the next day.

John Velo

I know Tony well and he would not have called your Father a Cheat. I know there was a dispute over Foul lights, I didn't work there but I know Foul lights can cause problems, I know Joe's last word were "Joe Velo Doesn't Foul". I think it was probably handled Badly.

willey

Hi Willey,

I knew Tony well also, he was a family friend and I worked at the bowl as well. I was there the night and was in the middle of the arguments. It was handled extremely badly at the time. I guess to old Italian tempers combined is never going to end well.

I will not go into the details as it is in the past where it belongs. Dad did received an apology from the ITBA that was enough for him. But it was too late for dad, his decision was made.

There are certainly no hard feeling about the circumstances, whenever he sees those that were involved at the time he always stops for a chat.

Time goes on.

John Velo

I know Tony well and he would not have called your Father a Cheat. I know there was a dispute over Foul lights, I didn't work there but I know Foul lights can cause problems, I know Joe's last word were "Joe Velo Doesn't Foul". I think it was probably handled Badly.

willey

The Joe Velo I knew was too good to need to cheat !!!

Hi John,
Long time no see would love to have a chat with you some time can you send me a PM for a phone number and time and I will try and you you then.

Shaun Cummings

John,

I dont expect you'd remember me but I sure remember you and your parents.

As just an average bowler, I never fully understood why your dad took the time to talk to me as an equal on the lanes. But that he did.

I've told many, many people, over the years, that Joe Velo (finishing on the wrong foot) got it right and the rest of us got it wrong!

I spoke to him not long after he gave the game away. He really was distressed that an official had suggested he had cheated.

These days we Aussies have a world class bowler in Jason Belmonte but for me the classiest competitor I've ever watched play the game will always be Joe Velo.

Hi Wal,

Thanks for the reply, I will mention you to dad when I see him tomorrow.

The good thing about bowling is that all levels can enjoy the sport. Dad really enjoyed people that would give it ago.

Again thank you,

John Velo

Hi John,
Long time no see would love to have a chat with you some time can you send me a PM for a phone number and time and I will try and you you then.

Shaun Cummings

Hi Shaun,

You know, I was only mentioning to Mum the other night that I saw your photo on Chris Batson's site.

Shaun it would be great to hear from you, What was it 1979 the last time we bowled together in Juniours at Warrawong. 17 x 300's wow Shaun that's fantastic.

I will drop you a PM.

John Velo

Hey Brenton-as my Pin Action(sorry John this went south in 1991!) aided memory tells me you won that one too!

Yeah, that's right, it was my first win as well.

But Joe got me in matchplay tho. Wasn't gonna let a whipper-snapper like me, especially being a lefty, get him on that match LOL.

Hi Shaun,

Are you able to drop me a PM I can reply to. I have not made enough posts to contact you directly.

Talk soon,

John Velo

Hi John,
Great to hear that great name of Velo again. Give your Dad my regards. I remember bowing with Joe back in the late 70's in the Sydney Cup. I will always remember the game we had against each other on lanes 31 -32 at St Leonards. It was a pretty close match. I crossed over to the brooklyn to get a strike and your dad said hey, "stay out of my pocket and I said you stay off my foot.The people who didn't know Joe, he was a right hander finishing off on the right foot. Everyone just pissed them selves laughing. Those were the days. I hope Joe is keeping well.
Cheers Lovey

Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you. I will definitely pass on your hello.

You where always one of dad's favourite characters, and the ladies from memory.

I tried to get dad on the lanes Sunday, he was happy to sit back and pass on some advice. He still remembers a lot of tricks which helped me.

Yeah, Dad's doing well, nearly 80 and fighting fit. Still as competitive as ever, even when fishing he has to catch the most.

Take care Steve.

John Velo.

Welcome back John.

I hope you still throw the ball as well as I remember. I remember watching you play (showing my age here...) in a President's Shield roll off at Bankstown, hooking it a bunch with two White Dots. A formative experience for a 15 year old me.

As another guy who came back to "the modern game", you may experience the same thing I did, where the amount of roll you generated then is not competitive anymore. Bowling today is mostly about getting the chunk of manufactured hook in your hand to the break point. Once you nut out how to do that, anything is possible. :)

Your old man would be so dangerous with today's gear. He wouldn't have to worry about all those 10 pins as they'd fall over now! I still reckon he could compete with a 14lb ball. No sweat. (No bull either!)

Back
Top Bottom