Worlds Doubles Bronze medalist Jarrod Lean

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

JL Well when i was young i did play all of the other sports like soccer and cricket, then a got a little sick (nothing serious) when i was about 11 and when i got better went bowling and as they say the rest is history. I was hooked

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

JL I don't remember but i remember my first day of league i got my 50, 75 and 100 pin in my first 3 games and the bowling staff thought i was brilliant! maybe they just made me feel like i was brilliant

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

JL Well my mum always told me i was special Seriously though i don't know, guess when the local coach took interest in me within a few months of me starting. it was James Harvey so i guess he saw something.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

JL I think i am a little of both, i mean I like playing all sports specially ball sports and are OK at them. but i did and still do have to work pretty hard on my game cant take weeks off and then come out firing i need the practice

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

JL I think it was Maitland Junior Open Masters.

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

JL Definitely, probably more so now coz it can be a long time between drinks. There were alot of junior championships and stuff so alot of opportunities. Now there are limited tournaments and they are very hard to win so you appreciate it a bit more...but it is an awesome feeling and makes it all worth it.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

JL I don't know how many people would be keeping their eye on me during an event. usually watching that Belmo character but no i don't think so. I think i am my toughest critic and sometimes i put a little too much pressure on myself but I think i am learning to stop doing that now as well.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

JL I do try to help out some of the younger guys/girls in bowling as i think we need to try and attract and retain more people into our game. As for coaching in the future ... i don’t know i think i would always want to be out there on the lanes. but i do like helping out people if i see something in there game which i think i can help them with.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

JL Gee there are so many...on the Australia scene, SPC would be right up there i feel it is the most prestigious and would love to go to the world cup. International...any! Also i know it sounds corny but would love to win the team gold at a world championship.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

JL Think this question was more for Belmo, but i don't think i would ever get to the PBA not only for bowling reasons but also lifestyle. I would like to go over and bowl in Europe and Asia a little more and hopefully will do that in the future with me about to finish my uni degree which will allow me to travel a little more.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

JL Again. I think this was more for Belmo but hell yeah that would be cool.

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

JL I think this is a pretty good idea and if done right could be great for the sport. I would have to say Ricky Ponting...as anyone that knows me knows that he is my sporting hero and would just be cool to meet him and bowl with him.

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

JL Haha...Jase never knew you thought that of me are u thinking of a new section in TB I have never thought of it...but hey i guess everyone has there $$

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

JL I still don’t know what i want to be when i grow up But as a kid probably a Cricket player

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

JL I like playing all sports, but on weekends i am pretty boring, i love just spending time with my friends and girlfriend doing stuff like seeing a movie or just hanging out

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

JL It’s a great sport which can take you all around Australia and the world. U can never perfect it so there is always something to work on and you meet heaps of great people that will be your friends life

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

JL YES, the friends i have met with the sport are friends that i will have for the rest of my life. And it has taken me to places that i never would have went to otherwise and hopefully will take me to a few more places yet.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

JL Probably being a part of the Youth Team which went to Hong Kong in 2004. We won the teams, silver and bronze in doubles. 2, 3, 4 in the Masters and won the overall medal tally. Also recently making the men’s Australia team which went to Korea i learnt so much which i feel will make me a better bowler in the future.Bowling 300 against George Frilingos in 2005 Canberra Open matchplay and winning the event. Also winning my last youth tournament being the Brunswick Youth Cup.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

JL Well up until a few months ago was a silky boxer’s man. but thought it was time for a change so have gone to the Bonds (very comfy undies).Took a bit of getting used to but old Pat Rafter doesn’t lie.

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

JL My parents were and still are very supportive of me so i have been very lucky there and owe them alot. Doc Ed Kee is the man who changed my game into something which made me competitive and got me into the national teams, i owe all of that to him.

Thanks for talking to us Jarrod next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope. Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview

Back
Top Bottom