Straight bowling

O

Ozmoz

I've given up trying to turn the ball at Knox center. You wonder why petrol prices are so high.. its because they are using all the oil!!!!! Plus the constant breakdowns arrgghh!!!!!

I'm having far better luck straight bowling with a slight curve.

I'm wondering is there a bowling ball made for straight bowling? A reactive type of ball? Everything I've been looking shows you how good they are for turning.

Also, I'm no expert, I just love the game. I was told the other day when you wear those ebonite wrist guard thingo's you are actually meant to get the ball drilled to suit. Is that right?

Regards, Oz

Yeah ya probablly lookin at a ebonite maxim around $120 at most pro shops. You could even go for a very dry lane ball like a storm tornado. And yeah agreeing with rowey you can get balls drilled to what you want by putting in a certain direction to the pin and stuff (i think :D )
My two cents

LATER ;)

I have an Ebonite tornado. When it was new it was great hooking on medium oil, but now its died a bit. Have just bought the V2 Sweet and only use my tornado now for the 6 and 10 pin. Its still a great ball, just doesnt work hard enough for the oil at my centre.

The best way to bowl straight would be as was said, buying a polyester like the maxim and/or get it drilled full finger rather than finger tip.

Ozmoz
Sorry to disagree with the other posters, but I think you should look at a more aggressive ball and/or drilling plus some coaching to get you back enjoying the game.

Judging by your comments, you need some help with technique to get the ball moving and carrying pins plus if the lanes are flooded (?) with oil, a Tornado or a polyester won't be of much help as you won't even get your slight curve. Might just skid through the pins altogether and this will not help you score. Since I have gone back to bowling with a specific coach, I am much happier about my technique and therefore am enjoying the game a lot more.

If you want to discuss this further, please send me a PM

Sumo

One thing I didn't say Sumo is I have a BIG problem with bowling that coaching can't fix.

I'm a right hander, and being a right hander you are meant to keep the right leg out the way when you bowl. I can't do that, I've tried to change and I end up flat on my face. My stance is more for lawn bowling, which maybe in a past life I was good at :)

It is very rare for me to hit my right leg on the follow through so it doesn't give me a problem personally, but it drives coaches mad (as in loony).

My average is 150 atm, which was dropping when hook bowling, due to the enormous amount of oil they are using at Knox. Now that I have switched to straight bowling with a slight curve to hit pocket I'm improving again.

All the top bowlers I know that play at Knox will tell you that you will gain 20 pins more at other venues. Which the Inter district prooves on their score cards.

I don't know what the requirements are for lane oiling, but it seems to me they put a pile on in the morning, and by the time our league gets to play (last for the night) all that oil is now right down at the pins. You actually even see the pins at times skid from one side to the other.

Regards, Oz

If you cant get your leg out of the way a deep front leg bend should be more than enough..... I have a slight problem with my balance leg also but this has nothing at all to do with why your ball is not hooking enough.

The oil pattern as described is one of excessive carrydown. Which nights do you bowl at Knox? I would be happy to call past and have a look if it doesn't clash with my own leagues.

Regarding your leg "problem", it is the coaches who have a problem if they can't look outside the square and see how to put the bowlers particular ability set to advantage.

My Coach tries to work within the bowlers framework, not take the whole game apart and re-mould it into the "perfect" bowler. I don't know if you recall Joe Velo who was right handed and bowled right foot forward, have previously played bocce. Velo was one of the all time greats in early Australian Bowling.

Finding the right coach for you might be a longer process but don't think it can't be done. You're welcome to come and meet my coach, she has a very open mind and just wants to see bowlers improve. Send me a Private Message if you want to talk further.

Sumo

Sumo said:
The oil pattern as described is one of excessive carrydown.
Sumo

So how is that prevented? I don't know what the requirements are for scrubbing and lane oiling.

Regards, Oz

If there is a lot of carrydown, you need a more aggressive surface bowling ball to hook despite the carrydown. That's why I would not suggest a plastic or a less aggressive ball for those conditions. I'd probably choose a solid not a pearl, aggressive surface ball with a drilling for an arc not a snap. Hook should still be controllable but won't die before it reaches the pins.

The bowler can't influence the lane condition,they just have to adjust to the condition presented.
Sumo

I don't move the ball a lot, and have traditionally struggled on heavy oil or carrydown. I would definitely not recommend bowling straight, as you need the ball to be driving through the pocket to get good carry. Go for a high end solid reactive (as the person above me mentioned), or possibly a particle of some sort . You don't have to turn the ball like Jason Belmonte to score well!

Oz,

Before any accurate advise can be given, there are quite a few questions that need to be answered.

What do you currently average?
What current ball/s do you own?
Are they drilled fingertip or conventional?
Are they drilled correctly fitting?
Are you currently using a wrist brace?
Which part of the lane do you normally like to play?

You're saying straighter bowling, are you meaning dead straight with speed, or that you are unable to generate enough turn to get the ball back from your breakpoint, (perhaps due to too much lane oil, too much speed, not enough axis rotation etc etc) therefore a more direct approach is scoring better...

You're also saying you are getting a better result when you are bowling straighter, are you meaning you are striking more when you are hitting the headpin, or that you are simply hitting the headpin more. Perhaps your meaning that spares are more makable with a straight ball?

There are probably 100 more questions that need to be asked, your best bet is to ask an experienced bowler at your centre for their opinion. The pro-shop is generally a great place to start.

Good Luck

Andrew Tonkin

Sumo said:
The bowler can't influence the lane condition,they just have to adjust to the condition presented.
Sumo

I understand that. I mean, there must be certain requirements when cleaning and oiling the lanes. I'm sure whatever that is, they are not following them at Knox.

Regards, Oz

Lanes get washed the same time they are oiled which is normally once or twice per day depending on how many bowlers go through the place.

Normally they will resurface (strip the lane back sand it down and refinish it) every 1 - 2 years, maybe longer..... depending on the need for it.

Little tip from someone who's been there and done that, strong ball motion and lotsa hook don't always go hand in hand, getting that ball into a heavy roll should be your first priority. Remember the ball reaction you want isn't always the reaction you need(a tip for all you jr big hookers that get lost from time to time!)

AdrianS said:
Remember the ball reaction you want isn't always the reaction you need(a tip for all you jr big hookers that get lost from time to time!)

Yeah, but those guys look the coolest :)

Regards, OZ

There must be some mystical power in that hair gel they use, my reject shop gel sure doesn't have it whatever it is!! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom