Other Seismic Desperado (Pearl Urethane)

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
I've been interested in this piece since Andrew Tonkin of Absolute Bowling Supplies told me about it last year. Somebody has made a ball that doesn't hook like crazy and put a decent core in it, so it has some hit. I'm pleased to say that I have drilled one and I like it a lot.

Before going into great detail about what this ball is good for, I'll tell you what it won't do. The Desperado is not for heavy oil. It's a pearlised urethane cover and that makes it go long. Quite long without much hook on the back. That said, there's a use for balls like this and that's when the lanes hand you too much friction for your reactive gear. Old guys like me can describe the Desperado as being like an original Red Pearl Hammer with a modern asymmetric core in it. Probably a tiny pinch more aggressive than that, but you get the picture. It's for lanes that are dry or that are wildly reacting downlane.

So once you've got lots of available lane friction, the Desperado allows you to play straighter through the front of the lane, so you don't burn up rotational energy and your breakpoint is more consistent. The core gives it a dynamic roll transition, exposing fresh cover to the lane all the way to the pins, so you get consistent friction from the ball. The Desperado provides predictable motion with a fast revving core and that translates into pretty resounding impact once you get it into a roll.

I drilled the ball (at Bowler's Edge, of course) 4 x 4½, with the pin under the ring finger to promote earlier roll off the midlane. (Image attached.) The ball never sees the front of the lane and makes a smooth reaction at the backend. I'd really like to get to a wood house to try it out, as I suspect it would eat it up on some dry timber. (I'm actually looking forward to going somewhere really toasted to test it out. Very strange indeed..!) I got it going on a pair that Chris Thomas and I just burned the edge right off today. He liked it so much, now he wants one!

Cosmetically, it's a funky looking piece. (Again, see the photo. It stands out on the rack!) Black and buttery-gold pearl in bands has meant that I've christened it "The Bumble-Ball". You'll love it or hate it. It was admired by the ACT boys President's Shield Team on Sunday. They thought it was fun. I do too.

The ball reaction is smooth, with that lazy urethane backend. If you try to swing this ball too much, carry suffers. However, if you play straighter up the front of the lane, keeping your target in front of you, pin carry is very good.

I can see a lot of country bowlers getting use out of one of these if they bowl somewhere that really hooks early and often. If you're desperate to get the ball through the front of dry lanes, the Desperado is for you. Use it for what it's designed for and it will serve you well.

Cheers,
Jason Doust

Attachments

• Seismic_Desperado.jpg
    Seismic_Desperado.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 76
I received my Desperado yesterday,

All i can say is what a piece.
Laid the ball out 4 x 4 and left it at out of box condition.
What i found was a piece that enables you to keep your target in front of you and roll the ball (this used to be called bowling),very clean through the front with good mid lane transition with a gentle and very predictable move left like the urethane balls of the past.
I agree with Jason very similar to the Red Pearl Hammer of old,with a distinctly harder hit.
I threw this ball on the usual AMF 38ft (toasty dry )out side 10 board.No sign what so ever of that wet dry snap that comes from using the current range of Reactive Hand-grenades we all have in our bag.
I could safely play through the edge of the pattern and just allow the ball to roll back from outside without fear of an overreaction.
If you missed right....it stayed right...if you tugged it left it sat up on the oil and went high resulting in a 4 pin or the like.
This key to scoring with this piece (for me) was consistent speed and good shot making,if you miss your target by much the result showed.
All in all a great piece for the higher rev bowler looking to tame the wet dry flying back-ends that seem to be the norm in most houses for league these days.
I can see this ball getting a lot of lane time and being a great go to ball when the heads burn up.
Thanks JD and Tonx for sharing the secret on a great piece.

This key to scoring with this piece (for me) was consistent speed and good shot making,if you miss your target by much the result showed.

Finally.......Very well said. Consistent speed and good shot making will always help you bowl better instead of buying more expensive equipment.

This is a comment that every young bowler should read !!!!

Bigsy !!!

Back
Top Bottom