SAVE BOWLING

I really hope its something positive and significant that helps bowling gain some integrity and not another add for a ball company. Time will tell

I signed up, but I haven't received an email. Apparently your meant to get a reply from Tommy Jones. Anyone else signup?

If you click on the facebook icon on the website it takes you straight to the Hammer Bowling Facebook Page.
(just another ad promotion me thinks)

I suspect its a marketing ploy, story on the street is that it's a 'standardise ball concept' and maybe some incentives will be given to bowlers who bowl honour scores with it on approved conditions. I look forward to seeing the proper 'Media Release' when it surfaces in a few weeks.

How ironic - the video states "the lanes got easier"....no mention of course that a significant slice of the problem of inflated scores and thus the departure of millions of regular bowlers came directly out of their own factory [and others as well of course]. It really is funny.............because surely they must think it is - or do they really believe they are taking the moral high ground on a problem they helped create.

Hammer, or FaBall as they were back then, were one of the last companies to release reactives to the market. Nothing should have been made stronger than their old Blue Hammer, which can still be used effectively today.

After sitting back and reading, watching and pondering about the changes that have happened in this game, I will use a golf reference, since I know a little about both.

Reactive bowling balls, with the asymmetric weightblocks, exotic covers ect, are just like the new titanium drivers with graphite shafts. The are easier to hit (hook) and hit further (more power). The old White Dots and plastics back in the day, are like your old steel shafted persimmon block wood. Hard to hit, and only the most skilled could use them effectively. Urethane balls, when the came out, were like the first metal headed drivers... still heavy because of the steel shaft, but a bit easier to hit the ball further with than the wooden clubs.

Now the lane conditions of today? Go stick nets and barriers down each side of the fairway, so if you hook or slice your ball, it will kick back into the middle of the perfectly manicured fairway, nowhere near any sand-filled divots, and no more than 150m out.

Fix the conditions before you fix the equipment.

It's a Hammer initiative. Says so in the page. This is going to backfire on them badly if it's not for real and I suspect that they're smarter than that. But who knows? I can't see a bowling ball company helping us out of this mess, but then, they got us in here in the first place.

Trouble is, your average (and very average) bowler likes their lanes all walled up these days. Cheating has been normalised. Controlling the latest Dynamite coverstock with Kryptonite self-revelling core is too hard when the lanes are honest. Most folks nowadays don't want to practice and certainly don't want to invest time in learning and training. And the commendable players who do, often find it hard to get hold of someone with the skills and availability to help them out in a lot of places. A standard ball would be a good start but I find proprietors get quite uneasy when you suggest that lanes need to get more honest. The greedy ones are scared of losing players to the house down the road, the dumb ones don't know the difference because that's the head tech's job (read - fault) and the smart ones know they have steadily painted themselves into a corner with their easy league shot.

The principle reason lanes are oiled is to protect the lanes. This protection has never been more needed than with today's bowling balls that literally burn the surface. If you want a demonstration, just put a reactive ball on a spinner, fire it up and see how long and hard you can hold your knuckle to it. You will blister your skin in seconds, I promise you. And yes, it will bloody hurt! Well, that's what happening to lane panels everywhere, albeit at a slower pace than your knuckle, but only because they are tougher than your skin.

Once managers and proprietors start to destroy their lovely, expensive lane panels with increasing frequency from having no oil outside 10 board (look for the AMF sign and you'll see plenty of examples of what I mean), maybe they'll see a financial incentive to make things more honest. Even the dumb managers can work a spreadsheet well enough to work that out. The smart ones will sell the changes as a necessary protection of their investment, without which, game rates will have to rise to accommodate the increased cost of buying and installing expensive infrastructure regularly.

I signed up out of curiosity and because I really hope that maybe, just maybe we can take a turn from the road we're on and begin down the road to honesty and integrity. And the alternatives to hope are despair or maybe worse, the current apathy about how we, as a sport, cheat every weeknight in pretty much every league in the country.

Back
Top Bottom